Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Has anyone here ever had a mac Virus??

Has anyone here ever had a mac Virus?? (Page 2)
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 07:29 AM

Mac user for 2 years. No viruses yet.

And yes, I think the iTunes installer that deletes your partition counts! Thanks Apple!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 08:33 AM

My girlfriend got an email from friend with a .exe attachment. She hadn't heard from the friend in question for a long time and couldn't contain her curiosity so she decided to run it in Virtual PC - kaboom! End of virtual hard drive!

I don't suppose that counts as a Mac virus.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I got Sevendust around four years ago (aka 666), and it was a pain to kill off, but it never ended up doing anything. Other than MS Office macros, which Office itself detects, I've been clean. And nothing at all since I moved to OS X around two years ago.

I have sevendust two years ago as well. I quickly killed it with a freeware program someone from these forums recommended to me. I caught it off of our school network sharing shareware games.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2002, 11:33 PM

I've never had a virus on my computer. I've never had a friend have a virus on their macs. I've only once seen a mac with a virus... it was some old mac classic on a high school campus that had SAM running and caught it. Oh well. That's in the 8 years I've been on the mac.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

yukon
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 01:40 AM

I've had an nvirA/B mutation, 2x 666/sevendust (one in '99, one a few months ago), and one wdef(i think) that was incompatible with anything > system6. I had one applescript that deleted anything in the "disabled extensions" folder, though I didn't have that folder (no extensions-manager)

caught them all quickly, though they did infect filebuddy, disinfectant and virex. no real damage. i noticed 666 the second time when simpletext took 3min to launch on a G4.

i still remember reading about the virus that said "initializing hard disk : have a nice day", but did nothing, to "make the user quickly shutdown, encouraging file system damage". lol, compaired to windows troubles, thats hilarious.
( Last edited by yukon; Aug 22, 2002 at 01:50 AM. )
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Playdoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
I had the AutoStart worm that I contracted off the MacAddict CD in 1998. That was fun and odd at the same time!
I've got a IIcx that starts up on its own. It started doing that after I brought it to ComUSA to have the battery replaced. They told me the motherboard was bad and needed replacement.

How does the Autostart Worm operate?

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Playdoe:

I've got a IIcx that starts up on its own. It started doing that after I brought it to ComUSA to have the battery replaced. They told me the motherboard was bad and needed replacement.

How does the Autostart Worm operate?
Infects the first sector of all the drives it can write to. That's the sector used by quicktime for multimedia auto-start, thus the name..

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 08:04 AM

I've been using macs for about 10 years and have had personal experience of the autostart worm and some other virus that used an init called Graphics Accelerator. Neither were particulary serious. Compare that to my 2 months supporting an NT4 server at work and I've seen 3 variants of the Klez virus and we have the latest version of NAV.
Oh and someone using the NT4 server for email spoofing, and we are on a 56k dialup.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 24, 2002, 10:56 AM

What's a virus? hehehe....

Probably one of the top reasons to own a Mac. (though I do recall a certain autostart virus, easily defeated by unchecking Auto Play in QT)

I am morbidly curious to see what new virii will threaten OS X (if any) - so far so good! Let's hope those crazy fun loving virii coders stick to attacking 'the bad guys' (please)
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2002, 01:26 PM

Someone once sent me a floppy disk containing NVIR back in the 80's, but some anti-virus software I had installed at the time caught it before it could infect my system.

Does that count?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

macmend  (op)
Nov 2, 2002, 09:27 AM

Phew, and all from a simple question about virus, perhaps there should be a seperate forum to talk about this
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2002, 10:37 AM

Some years back, I had nVIR on my system.

I ripped it out of my system using ResEdit, just because I could
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by spiggott:

Several reasons:
(snip)

2) Macs are carriers. Even though Macs aren't affected by all the PC virii out there, they can oftentimes act as carriers, helping to spread the virus throughout the network if they aren't scanned with NAV to remove the offensive files.

AFAIK the Mac antivirus software like Macafee and Norton only scan for Mac viruses. They do not prevent Macs from being carriers.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:

AFAIK the Mac antivirus software like Macafee and Norton only scan for Mac viruses. They do not prevent Macs from being carriers.
Yeah, that's a big lack in NAV. I believe Virex will scan for Windoze viruses, but am not positive.
Sophos had an OS X version of their antivirus program available for testing a year or so back. Great program, definitely spots Windoze bugs, but very expensive!
BTW, I had SevenDust (666) show up in my OS 9 system folder shortly after OS X 10.0 came out. I must have picked it up somehow while running Classic, but it didn't do any damage and was ridiculously easy to get rid of.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:

Yeah, that's a big lack in NAV. I believe Virex will scan for Windoze viruses, but am not positive.
Sophos had an OS X version of their antivirus program available for testing a year or so back. Great program, definitely spots Windoze bugs, but very expensive!
BTW, I had SevenDust (666) show up in my OS 9 system folder shortly after OS X 10.0 came out. I must have picked it up somehow while running Classic, but it didn't do any damage and was ridiculously easy to get rid of.
No, I am pretty sure that Virex does NOT scan for Windoze viruses. This was, I believe, one of the reasons that my university switched its site license to NAV -- which is at least talking about possibly implementing it, maybe, perhaps, sometime. ;-)

As this thread illustrates, scanning for pass-through Windoze and other viruses is perhaps the *primary* current worth of any Mac anti-virus tool! I can see why Xeo's school went to the extreme of requiring anti-virus to gain network access (although it sounds like they went overboard w/o any real way to enforce consistent use...) As it stands, NAV is a boondoggle!

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2002, 11:08 PM

WDEF. Not 15 yrs ago, but close.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 01:05 AM

Not once in my entire (Mac)life.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2002, 01:48 AM

Topic: Has anyone here ever had a mac Virus??

I've never had a Mac virus, and neither have any of my Macs!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2002, 02:17 AM

Been using a Mac since 1984.

Never had a virus. None.

Of course, I don't use Microsoft products, and using Eudora it's easy to see an email attachment which has suspicious file types (like sexygirl.jpg.doc - which would look like an image but would fire up Microsoft Word (and probably contain a macro virus)).

The 1 per cent of viruses not enabled by Microsoft products, like the Autostart CD-ROM virus or the ones in HyperCard stacks, have been easy to avoid with Norton Anti-Virus.

My Windows-using friends, on the other hand, are constantly getting trashed. Year after year they continue to use Word, Excel, and Entourage. It's enough to make me shake my head in bewonderment every damn day.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Cipher13
Nov 3, 2002, 03:29 AM

Yeah. SevenDust...aka 666.

Had to kill it by hand. Was fun.

RGB
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 03:31 AM

A few years ago I popped a music cd that had a CD Extra multimedia section on it into my G3. As soon as it went in, Norton's popped up saying the CD contained Sevendust C and I couldn't play it. Only virus I've ever had.

The klez worm infected someone at my school and spread from there, I probably got about 100 copies of it in one week but I didn't have to worry about them thankfully

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Mac user for 2 years. No viruses yet.

And yes, I think the iTunes installer that deletes your partition counts! Thanks Apple!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2002, 12:23 PM

Aren't Entourage X users carriers of the Klez worm and the MIME Gen Exploit worms? I know Mail.app won't carry it but Virex still detects the virus.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

as2
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 07:54 AM

Can't say I've ever had a virus, and I've been using macs for the last 15 years or so...

Managed to infect the entire school PC network about 6 years ago though!

Stoopid PC's!!

Adam
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

michaelb
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 09:20 PM

Mac OS X forum, so shouldn't this be "Has anyone here ever had a Mac OS X virus?

Does such a thing exist yet?

Apart from the "your admin password is required" thing, is there anything inherently more virus protective about Mac OS X?

(Apart from the fact that <1% of the world is using it, and the ego-seeking sickos that write virii wouldn't get the same kick from writing one.)

Avon
Senior User
Nov 4, 2002, 10:49 PM

Back in 1993 or so I got a virus that would make the Talking Moose say "Don't Panic" every once in a while. Spooky, but harmless. I didn't even know I had it until I got SAM, or whas it Disinfectant???

RGB
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Avon:
Back in 1993 or so I got a virus that would make the Talking Moose say "Don't Panic" every once in a while. Spooky, but harmless. I didn't even know I had it until I got SAM, or whas it Disinfectant???
Spooky, but Mostly harmless.

Giovani Akira
Nov 5, 2002, 07:01 AM

Hmmm... One year using OS X and I never
caught even a cold. I don't believe in virus for MAC OS X.
Blind faith, or lucky.
"You may say I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one."

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 10:19 AM

Yah i have one connected to my Mac.....the band pass is sik

http://www.access-music.de/products....roduct=viruskc

Forum Links
Forum Rules