Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk problems, need help

Disk problems, need help
Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 11:29 AM

I have a problem, I'll explain what I did,

Machine/OS info. OS 10.2.4 Ti550 upgraded 60GB Toshiba 512mb

I put PC disk images onto my harddisk for off site security. I had 5 images totalling approximately 5gb's.

No problems, until last week when I defragged my harddisk.

Now I have the folder the images where showing as empty, when I try to delete the folder I get 'contents in use' or 'folder not empty.

I've tried progs like 'maintain1' to force empty the trash, but no luck.

I defragged with Norton 7, have done many times with no issues. But this is the first time with the images on my machine.

Started up is single user mode, and I now have disk problems, when I repeat fsck -y the problem does not go away.

The one thing I'm reluctant do is use Norton to repair the drive, firstly because it is the start up disk and I can't CD boot, and secondly I've already been bitten running the disk doctor in OS9 and then seeing Jag failing to boot up.

Suggestion please, if I have to spend cash on software I will, ideally I'd like my 5gb of harddisk space back.

Thanks in advance

macmend
Mar 29, 2003, 04:05 PM

Run diskwarrior, to ensure the directory structure is OK, (http://www.alsoft.com) then run from apple CD install disk (having started up from same) disk first aid and then repair permissions, in that order.

Then get back to me and tell me what happens (you may have to run Norton again, but not yet)

MacMEND
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

Mr Ti  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 04:56 PM

Good advice, I got myself Diskwarrior and WOW. All problems fixed, I recovered the images as well.

I cannot believe I have been using Norton all this time, I read many praises for diskwarrior in these forums, I should have bought it years ago, my system nows 'feels' like a clean install, quite superb.

I ran disk first aid, and repaired permissions, no problems there either.

Nice one.

macmend
Apr 2, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Mr Ti:
Good advice, I got myself Diskwarrior and WOW. All problems fixed, I recovered the images as well.

I cannot believe I have been using Norton all this time, I read many praises for diskwarrior in these forums, I should have bought it years ago, my system nows 'feels' like a clean install, quite superb.

I ran disk first aid, and repaired permissions, no problems there either.

Nice one.
I am glad thigs went well, run DD from time to time just to keep things straight.

MacMEND
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

Forum Links
Forum Rules