Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cannot Unlock Keychain

Cannot Unlock Keychain
jrramsey
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 01:05 PM

I have root access but cannot unlock the keychain app. Also, whenever I run Safari, it keeps promting me for a Keychain password but none of my passwords works (Root included). Doesn't seem to cause much problem just very annoying. Thought accessing the Keychain app might help.

Any suggestions.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 02:05 PM

You can only unlock a Keychain with the password of that Keychain; being root doesn't help. By default a Keychain's password will be the account's password. (If as Admin you change the password of an account not your own, the Keychain's password is not changed to match.)

If you don't know the password of the Keychain, you can delete it and start over. See Apple's instructions in this KBase Article .

jrramsey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by car1son:
You can only unlock a Keychain with the password of that Keychain; being root doesn't help. By default a Keychain's password will be the account's password. (If as Admin you change the password of an account not your own, the Keychain's password is not changed to match.)

If you don't know the password of the Keychain, you can delete it and start over. See Apple's instructions in this KBase Article .
Thanks for the reference, but my keychain access is "locked" and I can't seem to unlock it. when I try to unlock it, I can't find the password. Anyway to manually force it? I'm guessing this is probably the same keychain that keeps popping up on my browser but the password doesn't work. Also, I didn't see any keychains in the app.

jrramsey  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by jrramsey:
Thanks for the reference, but my keychain access is "locked" and I can't seem to unlock it. when I try to unlock it, I can't find the password. Anyway to manually force it? I'm guessing this is probably the same keychain that keeps popping up on my browser but the password doesn't work. Also, I didn't see any keychains in the app.
I just found the faulty keychain. Turns out I had to keychains in there. I deleted the bad one and made the new one the default.

took care of the problem. Thanks for the help, Car1son.

macmend
Jul 29, 2003, 03:32 PM

worth having this utility by the way

it fixes keychain problems

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9944
macmend.com - the home of mac troubleshooting

Forum Links
Forum Rules