Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Truth - G5 is the Absolute Best

Truth - G5 is the Absolute Best
Scottie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 04:03 AM

I am the incredibly happy owner of a G5 1.8 Lets see - after a month:
I have had absolutely no problems. After reading this forum, prior to delivery, I expected to have problems - but nada - nothing, everything works to the highest level I have always expected from Apple. I'm beginning to think that some people stay up all night looking for, waiting for, something to break or not to live up to their expectations.
Unfortunately, it seems there are so many "views" of forum items that carry negative feelings about the G5. I really believe that these are the unfortunate few who have real problems or those whose raison d'etre is finding some way to pull more hair out of their heads.
Really love my G5!
G5 1.8, 1 Ghz Crucial RAM
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 07:59 AM

Good to hear! I always enjoy reading theads about people who are happy with their Macs. Not enough people post positive threads like this.

cambro
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Not enough people post positive threads like this.
That's because they are boring.

Scottie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 02:35 PM

Cambro.. and your response wasn't boring?
Interesting philosophy - if its not critical or negative, it must be boring???

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2003, 02:37 PM

You RAM is *fast*!

Congrats, by the way.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2003, 02:51 PM

I agree. I have a dual, but would have been just as thrilled to have a 1.6 or 1.8. After poking around the inside, installing RAM, etc., it even occurred to me that, with all of the new design features, the machines are underpriced.

And it's so damn quiet. When people started talking about the "chirping" noises, I started focusing on them. I installed the CHUD tools and got rid of the chirps, but have since rebooted my machine. I didn't realize then that when you reboot, the CHUD tools have to be reset. But, despite not having reset the CHUD tools, I didn't notice the noises anymore because I wasn't listening for them. I was focusing on my work, not on the machine. I haven't even bothered to reset the CHUD tools. I basically never notice the machine, especially when I have music or TV on.

I feel badly for anyone who's had any serious problems but I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 04:06 PM

I LOVE my dual G5. I am a bit obsessed with it at times. When my wife and kids go to bed, I'm giddy as I go down to play a game or surf the mac web pages.

This is the first "fastest mac available' I've ever had, so I am a little crazy about it, but even objectively it's an amazingly fast machine. I can launch every app in my dock (15 or so apps) in about 4 seconds, which is about as fast as I can click them all. I play every game I have with every option turned on (including 4x full-screen anti-aliasing in games that have it) at 1600x1200 and they are all as smooth as glass.

It's quite a change from the Sawtooth 450 I had before it. I cannot recommend this machine enough.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

ourisman
Nov 11, 2003, 05:22 PM

I agree. So much for wrestling with the question of whether to wait for rev. 2. I've been totally satisfied with my Dual G5.

Hydra
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by ourisman:
I agree. So much for wrestling with the question of whether to wait for rev. 2. I've been totally satisfied with my Dual G5.
Yeah, I think the people who rolled the dice and bet it was better to wait for Rev. 2 may have lost out. Sure there may be a dual 2.5 GHz G5 by 2/04 but by then I will have enjoyed pure G5 goodness for almost 6 months. I have had so little in the way of problems on my dual G5 it makes me almost paranoid.

With the boatloads of new chips/subsystems and buses in these things they really SHOULD be unreliable. I have had ZERO KP's or lock-ups and had about 20 days of uptime before I installed 10.3 and then another 12 days uptime before 10.3.1, all running 24/7. I have only used the on/off button ONCE, the day I took it out of the box

-Jerry C.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
You RAM is *fast*!
For sure! Quad pumping that RAM likely wouldn't even matter if the bus is stuck at 1 GHz!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
That's because they are boring.
It's nice to see people starting some positive threads around here again. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2003, 07:50 AM

for the most part, people post negative threads because they have a problem they want to discuss...

perfectly satisfied owners go do whatever they normally do.

i bet the satisfactory level with new G5s is high but we only get to see more of the negative people here. it's the nature of a computer forum.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Hydra:
Yeah, I think the people who rolled the dice and bet it was better to wait for Rev. 2 may have lost out. Sure there may be a dual 2.5 GHz G5 by 2/04 but by then I will have enjoyed pure G5 goodness for almost 6 months. I have had so little in the way of problems on my dual G5 it makes me almost paranoid.

With the boatloads of new chips/subsystems and buses in these things they really SHOULD be unreliable. I have had ZERO KP's or lock-ups and had about 20 days of uptime before I installed 10.3 and then another 12 days uptime before 10.3.1, all running 24/7. I have only used the on/off button ONCE, the day I took it out of the box

-Jerry C.
I'm waiting for a dual G5 - midrange machine.
I'd be happy to buy a dual 1.6 or 1.8 now.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by jcadam:
I'm waiting for a dual G5 - midrange machine.
I'd be happy to buy a dual 1.6 or 1.8 now.
That's the position I'm in too. I'm waiting to see what the next rev brings, hopefully a midrange dual will be available.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
That's the position I'm in too. I'm waiting to see what the next rev brings, hopefully a midrange dual will be available.
Yep, I was with you guys and then I went to the panther party.

10% off and 6 months same as cash pushed me over the edge, and I bought a dual with a 20.1" display.

Haven't regretted it or the bill.

-Q-
Nov 12, 2003, 04:12 PM

Add me to the list of ecstatic G5 owners. I love my dual and it's been rock solid for over a month now.

osxisfun
Nov 12, 2003, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Add me to the list of ecstatic G5 owners. I love my dual and it's been rock solid for over a month now.
Me too.

Love, Love, Love...

Arvid Gunardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 04:20 AM

My G5

1.6 Ghz
1.25 Gig of RAM (2x512 kingston)
160 gig harddrive.
Benq 17" LCD
Mac OS X Panther. (10.3)

Never crash, freeze, crazy fan symptoms, green/black screen of death, or anything like that. Running great, awesome, looks niceeee, sileeeent! Have to be honest here, installed a cracked Roxio Toast 6 Titanium, also no problem whatsoever.

I'm anxious to see how it'll react when Digidesign support for G5 is out. Due in a few days.
"It is better to be silent and thought a
fool than to open one's mouth and
remove all doubt." - Mark Twain.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2003, 06:06 AM

Well nobody here has said anything about loving there old machines so I love my dual MDD. its over a year old and still beats every PC in my dorm.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 10:37 AM

I'll wait for a rev.2 that can hopefully hold more than 1 OD and 2 HDD.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
I'll wait for a rev.2 that can hopefully hold more than 1 OD and 2 HDD.
Rev 2 will very likely NOT change this.

I suspect the next two revisions will be speed bumps, not case redesigns.

Personally, 500GB of internal storage is fine for me, and the 4x Pioneer Superdrive seems quite fast to me (coming from a 52x CDRW I expected it to be slow, but I have been pleasantly surprised).

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2003, 01:35 PM

Add one more to the "G5 Bliss List"

My dual G5 is the finest computer I've ever owned.


ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2003, 09:52 AM

Me 23! I'm happy too!
ebuddy

the fellow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 11:33 AM

24 has arrived too.

Ordered mine BTO and received it 8 days later.

The Fellow

www.neatlittlefellow.be

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 07:45 PM

Me 25!

I love my G5 DP! My brother is EXTREMELY envious!!
- SuperM

Apple //e -> Apple IIGS -> Performa 6200 -> B&W G3 350 (400) -> G5 2.0 DP

Zoom
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Rev 2 will very likely NOT change this.

I suspect the next two revisions will be speed bumps, not case redesigns.

Personally, 500GB of internal storage is fine for me, and the 4x Pioneer Superdrive seems quite fast to me (coming from a 52x CDRW I expected it to be slow, but I have been pleasantly surprised).
This is a personal beef with me. Not having capability to add or even BTO a second optical drive, in this day and age, is ridiculous. What if you want to copy a CD/DVD? You have to dump to the hard drive first? What if you just want a fast CDR? The Superdrives only write CDRs at 16x, right? I'm sorry, but that's too slow for me now that I've had a 48x drive.

Anyway, with as big as that damn case is, and with all the design talents Apple has, I can't believe they couldn't manage to allow the user to add a second OD. After the MDD Macs came out, I thought Apple had finally seen the light. Guess not.

I very much want a dual G5, but I can't afford $2500 for a desktop system. I may give up and buy a dual G4 MDD to tide me over for a couple years until the dual G5s are standard issue or until a G4 iMac/Cube is available. Or maybe I'll even go for a G5 PowerBook.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
This is a personal beef with me. Not having capability to add or even BTO a second optical drive, in this day and age, is ridiculous. What if you want to copy a CD/DVD? You have to dump to the hard drive first? What if you just want a fast CDR? The Superdrives only write CDRs at 16x, right? I'm sorry, but that's too slow for me now that I've had a 48x drive.
I can't say I agree personally, but there are many others who share your concern, and I expect that when Apple does eventually redesign or update the case they will address these issues.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 12:07 AM

Me 26. I ordered a dual G5 2x2, a 12" PB, and a 20" Cinema Display, and all are perfect as can be. I'm quite happy with the switch, and finally being able to sit down at a Mac desktop with some serious grunt is a beautiful thing.

For the first time in a long time, I have no Windows machine at home. My office laptop is a Win2000 Dell, and frankly, it runs just fine.

I have no deep hatred towards MS; I just like Apple/OSX better. WinXP is a fine OS, and I used to use it quite regularly.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 12:33 AM

I have an iBook 900Mhz... no problems sept today I noticed a slight crack in my case... ohter than that terribly solid machine... I love it to death. Apple = awesome.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 01:58 AM

S'pose I'm a late bloomer! First Mac was a 600MHz G3 iMac. Had (dare I say it) Ataris, then on to PCS, but never an Apple. Switched to my iMac from a POS hp pc that was, um... outdated.

Got the iMac as a close out after the nifty flat panels came out... and was in love! Converted to OSX before I became too entrenched in OS 9, and think it's the best operating system I have ever used.

Now I have a Dual 2 gig G5 with a 23" cinema display. Fantastic. Awesome. Had a pal over who does networking/IT stuff and he was talking about a new Xeon server he was installing, and HAD to show him the G5 and talk trash.

Bought an 12" G4 iBook at Pantherpalooza. set up hard wired network myself. Router, Cat5e, major coolness.

Love Apple. Will go back to PC after you pry my iBook from my cold, lifeless fingers.

Most of all, love my G5... and that massive display still makes my jaw drop.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

kcourt
Nov 19, 2003, 01:32 PM

I have to say that I have loved each mac that I have ever owned, going back to my first - which was an old B&W 9" screen - the SE, that didn't even have a hard disk.

I know I will love the G5 also - with the recent announcement, I probably will buy the 1.8 dual......and their 20' monitor!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by the fellow:
24 has arrived too.

Ordered mine BTO and received it 8 days later.

The Fellow

www.neatlittlefellow.be
I like the watches

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 05:54 PM

I love my G5! There will always be new revisions with dual processors and higher speeds, but getting a new G5 when they were first release is something else. Configurations are listed below in my signature.

I've been a switcher for 2 years now and will not go back to WInblows.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 09:53 PM

awww group hug!
Quadra 605, eh I havn't touched the thing in years

iMac DV, 400mhz 512mb Ram

PowerMac G4, 450mhz 708mb Ram, Radeon Mac edition + Geforce 2MX

old but I still love them with all my heart.
are you lightfooted?

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 11:03 PM

I love my 1.8 G5. Although I'm a bit disappointed that Apple has dual 1.8s for nearly the same price I paid; this machine is still a dream compared to my old 400 MHz B&W G3.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

sokukodo
Nov 21, 2003, 10:44 AM

I'm a proud owner of a dual gig G5 w/ 2 gigs of RAM ... have been absolutely thrilled (except for one thing: M-Audio's Revolution sound card doesn't work. I may have installed it in the wrong bay, or maybe it's not compatible with pci-x; anyway, went back to using the USB SoundSticks w/ no problem).
LOVE MY G5!

cdesautels
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 04:22 PM

I'm sure some folks have had some problems with their new machines. Every machine can't be flawless. But mine has. I've had my Duel 2Ghz G5 for a month now and it's been smooth sailing all the way. one beautiful machine. I haven't been able to make it break a sweat either! Whatever I throw at it, it continues to just barely tick over. Great job by the Apple hardware guys.

Now if the OS folks could just get their act in gear. It seems like they are making a habit of shipping bugs. I tried to install Panther on my iBook and it was completely trashed. Took me two days to recover. It seems there was a bug in the installer on the CD!

Now I'm afraid to put Panther on my G5. Do we really need a new OS every year? I think Apple should slow down a bit and do it right.

Richard Clark
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 06:21 PM

I installed a G5/1.6 GHZ here at work with 748 MB of RAM. The machine is SWEET! And it kicks !

The only Classic application running is Lotus Notes. All the rest are OS X native (Photoshop, Office etc.) Talk about nice. This machine does heavy graphics.

I ran some updates (10.2.8) on it a couple weeks ago. Across the cubicles was a G4/867 DP that needed updated as well. The G5 just ran circles around it. What's even funnier is that G4 had a head start.

But the nice thing is that I haven't had to do a single thing to that machine except for the update. It runs like a charm. The machine before it was an old G3/400 BW. It had major problems.

I wish I would hit the lottery so I could get a 2GHZ/DP. I've seen the 1.6 in action which is great. I can only imagine oomph on a 2Gig!

"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

darkelf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
This is a personal beef with me. Not having capability to add or even BTO a second optical drive, in this day and age, is ridiculous. What if you want to copy a CD/DVD?
hmm... yes. if only there were some sort of external expansion option. something fast, which would allow individuals to connect drives and other peripherals as needed outside the computer.

perhaps someday.

After the MDD Macs came out, I thought Apple had finally seen the light. Guess not.
oh, i'd guess they did. how much did it cost to engineer? how much did it cost to put a couple of dimes worth of extra space, cabling, and system capacity to handle it, times how many were manufactured that way? and how many were ordered that way?

oh, is that all?

samslaves
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 07:30 PM

I agree. The first time I start it up there was this OBN that make me crazy: very loud. Then I ran the intesive test from the cd and, when finished, I shutdown the dual. Incredible but after an our with fans at maximum speed it is gone.

But I have a question to all of you that own an Apple Cinema Display 20" or superior: do you notice a variation in brightness at the top (menu bar) and bottom center of the screen (right above the Apple logo)? It is not so evident: if I take a white window and drag it horizontally both on top and bottom the screen here appears less white and if I look at the screen laterally I can see two little shadows. Is it possible that there are 4 lamps in the rear (I noticed 4 grills) and the space between lamps is less illuminated but if some of you could check...
Anyway no dead pixels and very bright with only three point of brightness.

Thanks
Sam

stephenhart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by Scottie:
I am the incredibly happy owner of a G5 1.8 Lets see - after a month:
I have had absolutely no problems.
I've been on both sides of the fence*, but can also say that after a month of constant use, I have had no problems at all with a G5 2x2. It's noticeably faster than the G4/450 it replaced at every task, and noticeably quieter. I didn't fall in love with its looks right away, but now find the case visually quiet as well. All in all an A+ for Apple.

* This is actually my second G5. The first one had a hardware problem. After several days of phone calls, Apple agreed to replace it.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 08:51 PM

Add me too!

Though I don't own one, but I have a class in a lab at school with 18 or so of them, not a problem with the bunch...

Just crazyness with using Quark 4 in classic... It's a LONG story...

And YES, they are so much quieter! all of em can be on, and you can still hear people give presentations just fine! All those fans/macs/openings for sound to get out would tell you the opposite though

-Owl

waz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Scottie:
I'm beginning to think that some people stay up all night looking for, waiting for, something to break or not to live up to their expectations.
Reminds me of the outrage over the "cracks" in the cubes. Personally, I never could figure out if my cube had them. The thing was a work of art. Turns out it did (according to the person I sold it to). Guess I need to learn to be a bit more anal.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by waz:
Reminds me of the outrage over the "cracks" in the cubes. Personally, I never could figure out if my cube had them. The thing was a work of art. Turns out it did (according to the person I sold it to). Guess I need to learn to be a bit more anal.
You can tell him that they aren't cracks. Here's an old post I saved that's no longer available via search, hope it's legible:

NemesisEG
Nov 22, 2003, 04:25 PM

Congratulations on the G5 Scott! I got to play with the 1.6 at our local dealer and I didn't want to leave. It's such a stunning looking machine.

/goes green with envy.

MUGlover
Nov 22, 2003, 05:50 PM

Mr. Clark didn't give his location, but if you want a deal on a DP 2GHz G5, the Apple Store Oakbrook has one in their amazing discount/refurb bin for $2699. Saw it Saturday 11-22. I also need to replace a G3/400 MHz that is having problems after 4 years (admittedly, it got my son through high school).

Mine comes Monday. It's a well-priced single 1.8 and I can't wait! Thanks all for sharing your good news.
( Last edited by MUGlover; Nov 24, 2003 at 05:35 PM. )

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 11:50 AM

I have a Dual MDD 867 and after having it for over a year, I still love it. I respect those who moved onto bigger and better Macs- those who have a G5. I feel that the G5 is the next generation of fast computers from Apple and I look forward to the day when I purchase my G5. But for now, I love my G4 and it does the job for the type of work that I do. For those who own a G5, thanks for leading the way for other mac owner to make that transition to the G5. Cheers!

PS- I wish all of these forums had positive posts and not the type of posts that bash others. Peace.

Forum Links
Forum Rules