Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.1 launch 'Tuesday'

Mac OS X 10.1 launch 'Tuesday'
freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 03:42 PM

"With only one week left to meet that deadline, two sources who asked for anonymity and who are familiar with Apple's plans confirmed on Friday that the anticipated point release will be the focus of Apple's keynote presentation on Tuesday at the Seybold Conference and Expo in San Francisco, an event aimed at the computer graphics and digital publishing industries, two of Apple's key markets. Phil Schiller, Apple's vice president of product marketing, is scheduled to address the conference joined via satellite by Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs."
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_...fm?NewsID=3548

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 03:56 PM

But whats this about Macminute.com reporting an "embargo" of no shipping CD's until Friday at midnight AND that there will be no download!?!

Please tell me I can go to a store and burn a copy this week, somebody...!
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 03:58 PM

Well duh.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

<Tarbash>
Sep 24, 2001, 07:52 PM

Ok, I have a feeling Steve will be there in person. The only reason he was going to have a satellite cameo was because he was SUPPOSED to have been in Paris to keynote the Apple Expo on the 26th. Now that that expo has been cancelled I see no reason why Jobs can't be at Seybold in person.

max4ever
Sep 24, 2001, 09:10 PM

Yep, tomorrow is it. As I quoted earlier, one of Apple's e-newsletters on the 19th ensured 10.1 in next week's edition, the 26th's. That pretty much sets the stage during Jobs' keynote tomorrow. Will he be there in person? It'd be nice, but I don't think Puma will be any less awesome without him there in person.

davecom
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by max4ever:
<STRONG>Yep, tomorrow is it. As I quoted earlier, one of Apple's e-newsletters on the 19th ensured 10.1 in next week's edition, the 26th's. That pretty much sets the stage during Jobs' keynote tomorrow. Will he be there in person? It'd be nice, but I don't think Puma will be any less awesome without him there in person. </STRONG>
Yes I too believed that the newsletter pretty much confirmed OS X coming out on the 26th.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
<STRONG>

Yes I too believed that the newsletter pretty much confirmed OS X coming out on the 26th.</STRONG>
MacNN's main OSX page says...

MacNN has learned that Steve Jobs will be announcing OS X 10.1 tomorrow at Seybold Seminars in San Franciso. Retail availability at the end of the week. The CD will likely be made freely available at retail locations; however, Apple is expected to charge a nominal fee for shipping ($20) for online orders.

I can't WAIT!!!!!!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 10:34 PM

Does anyone know if there will be a webcast of the Seybold keynote?

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 10:46 PM

What time is the keynote?

<no name>
Sep 24, 2001, 11:15 PM

9 to 10 am

ae77
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 11:29 PM

woo! 10.1!
^_^

<Michael>
Sep 24, 2001, 11:49 PM

I think it is tomorrow. My G3 'book is in for repair, and the shop told me that they could put 10.0.4 (which I already own) on it today, but if I come in tomorrow, they would put 10.1 on it. They also said that they will be giving out 10.1 CDs this week, and I could come in anytime to pick one up.

SATOSHI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 11:54 PM

MacNN's main OSX page says...

MacNN has learned that Steve Jobs will be announcing OS X 10.1 tomorrow at Seybold Seminars in San Franciso. Retail availability at the end of the week. The CD will likely be made freely available at retail locations; however, Apple is expected to charge a nominal fee for shipping ($20) for online orders.
Hummmm. I guess free giveaway is only in the US. (If it ever happens, that is.)
$20 is not nominal, I think Apple loses lots of money if everyone rushes for free CD.

lythari
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by SATOSHI:
<STRONG>

$20 is not nominal, I think Apple loses lots of money if everyone rushes for free CD.</STRONG>
That's what I fear, since I live in Australia.

SJ
Sep 25, 2001, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by lythari:
<STRONG>

That's what I fear, since I live in Australia.</STRONG>
And considering the money men in the US are currently crapping all over the Australian dollar, you can expect the update to cost about AUS$60

Yay... us Aussies all love the US don't we!

SYN
Senior User
Sep 25, 2001, 01:22 AM

Hummmm. I guess free giveaway is only in the US
Don't know about Australia, but it has been confirmed by a french VP that we'd have the free giveaways in France too.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2001, 01:45 AM

It would make me hard to know that 10.1 would be released today. I'd hope for web d/l's available today and hard copies available in limited quantity sometime next week.

That being said, even with a 640k dsl line, it would take hours to d/l a 600meg file. Hopefully Apple believes there is enough broadband penetration to warrant a web d/l.

I'm crossing my fingers.
2011 27" iMac: Core i7 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD/1TB HD,

smileyq
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 02:23 AM

I"m still so confused as to why he would say there would be free downloads via software update if he knew that this Upgrade was going to be 600mb in size. I just forsee an upgrade to an OS that large in size. I'd believe the 10.1 full install on cd would be that large if not larger but I've never seen an upgrade that large before from mac. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2001, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by smileyq:
<STRONG>I"m still so confused as to why he would say there would be free downloads via software update if he knew that this Upgrade was going to be 600mb in size. I just forsee an upgrade to an OS that large in size. I'd believe the 10.1 full install on cd would be that large if not larger but I've never seen an upgrade that large before from mac. I guess we'll see tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.</STRONG>
Nobody said that it would be available via the Software Update
system preference. Steve said it would be available via the
software up-to-date program. By programe he didn't mean a piece
of software but the standard arrangment Apple have were you can
send in a coupon from your last OS purchase and get a new CD.

Michael

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 02:47 AM

t size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>osted by mmurray:
<STRONG>

Nobody said that it would be available via the Software Update
system preference. Steve said it would be available via the
software up-to-date program. By programe he didn't mean a piece
of software but the standard arrangment Apple have were you can
send in a coupon from your last OS purchase and get a new CD.

Michael</STRONG>[/quote]

I don't have my coupons anymore though. I threw them out after I took the CDs out thinking I wouldn't need 'em.

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: Norm1985 ]

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

dab007
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 03:11 AM

So, the new release of 10.1 is going to be today. Is it going to be the same 5G64 that everyone has been passing around on Hotline?
Take care,
Don
www.donnyb.com

t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 03:33 AM

If it is coming out today, then you will find out soon, if the copy that is coming out matches the one on Hotline.

By the way.
My software update System Preference Panel keeps giving me an error...I hope it didn't poop on me, before the update will be coming out...of course it may not even be a d/l update...
Anyway...let's be patient.
We might see, know soon what is up with OS 10.1, and how it will be distributed...
I crossed my fingers too

t

t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 03:37 AM

Wow...Dub

I looked at your website, there is a link to it in your message...you have some hot pictures there from Cancun...wow...
can you please make sure next time you will let me know that you are going. I will cancell work, and make sure I am there....
thanks

t

<EddieDesignsDotCom>
Sep 25, 2001, 04:06 AM

Oh Yeah Baby!! Reminds me of my vacation this year (where they served $2 jello shots and gave out free tequila was where it was at y'all)
http://www.EddieDesigns.com/911.html | http://www.MasterAtWork.com

<Doctor Who>
Sep 25, 2001, 05:09 AM

Is there an expected release date of Mac OS X Server 10.1? I attempted to install (5G64) 10.1 over Mac OS X Server 10.0.4, and I was unable to select a 10.0.4 installed volume for 10.1 upgrade.

Anyone know if there is a silent simultaneous release of a Server update?

TC
Senior User
Sep 25, 2001, 06:33 AM

The seybold site really sucks, but I finally managed to track this down:
http://www.key3media.com/seyboldsemi....shtml#tuesday

Doesn�t look like there will be any live broadcast.
Nothing to see, move along.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 07:23 AM

It feels like x-mas eve! i cant wait!
_______void_______

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by v0id7:
<STRONG>It feels like x-mas eve! i cant wait!</STRONG>
Good analogy, because there's a good chance that when you wake up in the morning, instead of the Super-Commando Action Man with wrist-action chainsaw-fists and cord-pull head-copter, you'll find your parents bought you slippers and a dressing gown !

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by dab007:
<STRONG>So, the new release of 10.1 is going to be today. Is it going to be the same 5G64 that everyone has been passing around on Hotline?</STRONG>
No, it will be the *other* 5G64 with the debugging code removed

Note for the humour impaired: That was sarcasm.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2001, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>

Good analogy, because there's a good chance that when you wake up in the morning, instead of the Super-Commando Action Man with wrist-action chainsaw-fists and cord-pull head-copter, you'll find your parents bought you slippers and a dressing gown !</STRONG>
But I wanted Slippers and...

-Owl

brainloop
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 09:16 AM

Hi, in how many hours/minutes is the keynote ? (I'm in France and I can't be arsed to calculate it... ). And is there a webcast ?

cheers

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2001, 09:33 AM

Hi, in how many hours/minutes is the keynote ? (I'm in France and I can't be forced to calculate it...  ). And is there a webcast ?
Then let your computer calculate it for you. Open the date/time control panel and click into the world map where you think the keynote will take place.

Don't forget to open multiple instances of software update and click the update button every 10 seconds or so!

developer

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: Developer ]
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 09:42 AM

Were is the Keynote anyway?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

<deestar>
Sep 25, 2001, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SATOSHI:
<STRONG>

$20 is not nominal, I think Apple loses lots of money if everyone rushes for free CD.</STRONG>
Not true on Apple uk website in the 10.1 section it states that:

" An upgrade CD will be available to current Mac OS X users through the Mac OS Up-To-Date programme for a shipping and handling fee of �15."

here's the url:Apple uk (macosx 10.1)

Swampthing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2001, 10:59 AM

Just gave a quick call to The Apple Store in McLean, VA (Tyson's Corner), and they said that they won't have any OS X 10.1 disks in stock to give away today after Steve Jobs makes his announcement. They were quite aware of the upcoming announcement, but confirmed they would have nothing to support it...

I'm gonna take a quick drive out there and will be back later this afternoon. TIme will tell as to whether they were pulling my leg...

smileyq
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2001, 12:20 PM

I really hope all this hype about the release adds up to something. What is the point of releasing a new product if no body can get it? Now thats something to ponder it seems that every big announcement apple makes they are never ready for us about to bumrush the stores hehe just a thought. I hope they do a better job this time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules