Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X: Where are all the files?

OS X: Where are all the files?
mactropolis
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 02:35 AM

hey,

I use Mac OS X 10.0.1. I recently took a look at the size of my disks and how many files were on them.

My OS 9.1 volume uses about 3GB and has around 10,000 files on it; its this big because this is (was) my main volume, thus has all my apps, which take up a good 1.8 GB's.

My Darwin 1.3.1 volume is pretty virgin. it uses 456 MB, and has around 13,000 files on it.

My OS X volume uses 1.6GB and has over 85,000 files on it. I've been using it pretty steady since 3-24, so that would add. my home folder by itself is definitely less that 1,500 files (web cache,docs,etc). So where is this gigantic amount of files hiding? i've browsed my drive (even the hidden stuff, like /etc & /usr), but i can't seem to see that many files to justify it being well over 80,000. so where are they? are their supper-secret directories with tens of thousands of files i'm missing?

Considering OS X is the GUI for Darwin (to put it bluntly), plus some apps), i didn't think it would be over 300% larger than the Darwin volume. Do other people have large amounts of files or their file system?

------------------
MacTropolis Rules!
Death To Extremists!

mindwaves
Apr 22, 2001, 02:47 AM

Yes, Mac OS X has thousands of small files floating around and it can be a pain to organize some of them. I deleted at least 3,000 files (mainly foreign language files) from my system for about 100 megs more HD space.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2001, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
I deleted at least 3,000 files (mainly foreign language files) from my system for about 100 megs more HD space.
Were do you find the language stuff?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker (edited 04-22-2001).]

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mindwaves
Apr 22, 2001, 03:05 AM

Just control click an app and then select show packages or somthing like that. They should be in the resource folders.

Brad Nelson
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2001, 10:34 AM

The following terminal command was posted elsewhere to remove all non-English language files. I did it with no problem. I'd suggest you copy and paste the text as leaving out or switching something can give you a very bad day:

The following command will remove all of the non-English.lproj. I've run on it on my system, it works fine!

find / \! -name "English.lproj" -name "*.lproj" -type d -exec rm -r -- {} \;

It throughs a bunch of warnings, but this is because the find command will find a nonenglish lproj, remove it, and then try to recurse down into it.

plaidpjs
Senior User
Apr 22, 2001, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Brad Nelson:
The following terminal command was posted elsewhere to remove all non-English language files. I did it with no problem. I'd suggest you copy and paste the text as leaving out or switching something can give you a very bad day:

The following command will remove all of the non-English.lproj. I've run on it on my system, it works fine!

It throughs a bunch of warnings, but this is because the find command will find a nonenglish lproj, remove it, and then try to recurse down into it.
You should sudo this command, enter the admin pass, and you're good to go, no warnings and no verifies!

------------------
G4/500 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB ATI Radeon OEM, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 11:07 AM

Brad, I have know idea how to use the terminal. I would like to delete the non-English files also. Could you explain to me exactly how to run commands using the terminal. The only thing I know is where it is.

Thanks,
rhino_g3

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2001, 11:24 AM

Brad, I have know idea how to use the terminal. I would like to delete the non-English files also. Could you explain to me exactly how to run commands using the terminal. The only thing I know is where it is.
Terminal is easy to use. The only hard part is knowing the commands to make it work.

To use Terminal, double click on it. It will open with a window.

[localhost:~] user%

Something like that.

Copy and paste the code from Brad's post... or here it is again.

Code:

Now your Terminal window should look like this.

[localhost:~] user% find / \! -name "English.lproj" -name "*.lproj" -type d -exec rm -r -- {} \;

Hit "return"

It'll do all the errors stuff like Brad said. To skip the errors like plaid said, add "sudo" to the front of that command, like this.

[localhost:~] user% sudo find / \! -name "English.lproj" -name "*.lproj" -type d -exec rm -r -- {} \;

This will ask for your administrator password. Enter it and hit return. Now the errors will be skipped, as you are "pretending" to be the super user for that command. It will be less tedious for you.

If you want any information about Terminal commands, you can search on the internet for Linux or Unix commands. Most of the ones you will find will work. Focus mainly on ones used for BSD, because that is what Darwin is.

If you know a command, such as "find" or "sudo" (from that command above), type "man <command>" to bring up the manual page about it. Like this.

[localhost:~] user% man sudo

That will give you information about what the sudo command is and how to use it.

I hope this helps.

------------------

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 11:39 AM

Wow! Thanks Xeo. Excellent job of explaining the terminal. I have tried what you posted but this is what I get.

[localhost:~] name% find / \! -name "English.lproj" -name "*.lproj" -type d -exec rm -r -- {} \;
find: /.Trashes: Permission denied
find: fts_read: Permission denied
[localhost:~] name%

Permission denied for some reason. How do I get around that?

Thanks again,
rhino_g3

[This message has been edited by rhino_g3 (edited 04-22-2001).]

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2001, 11:48 AM

rhino: you didn't sudo it
even if it's sudone you might get some errors like that, just ignore them. they're benign.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2001, 11:58 AM

Ya, you're going to have to "sudo" it.

If someone could answer me this:

I used "sudo" with the command, just as I explained it. It worked through most of it and appeared to be done. To check whether it got them all or not, I went into /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources and there were foreign language files.

To correct the problem, I used "su" and ran the command again (of course, w/o sudo). This got them all.

If I had used "sudo" again, would it have gotten them all? Why didn't it get them all in the first place?

Oh, and to answer more about the 80,000 files question. I'm sure a big reason is because most apps are packages now. In OS 9, the resource stuff (pictures used in the app, etc) was in the resource fork of the app. Lots of things all in one file... the app. Now, in OS X, with the packages, each picture or resource that would have been in the resource fork is now a separate file, adding to the 1000s. This is the case all throughout OS X.

------------------

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 03:52 PM

Xeo you explained it well. I over looked the sudo part, sorry. After adding sudo in front of the command it asked for my password which I gave then hit return. Bingo it worked.

Thanks again Xeo and to Angus_D

rhino_g3

rw
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2001, 03:58 PM

On the other hand, you could use the opportunity to learn a foreign language
Dang! I forgot to uncheck the "Show Signature" button again!

------rwx
Apr 22, 2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by rw:
On the other hand, you could use the opportunity to learn a foreign language
LOL!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules