Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Recommendations for school use DV camera...

Recommendations for school use DV camera...
jwblase
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 10:17 AM

I've done lots of looking at various DV cameras, but the salespeople and literature isn't the most helpful in the world when it comes to real world experience. The lit with digital still cameras is better than the DV cameras out there, so here goes:

I'm looking at phasing a video yearbook into the print yearbook that I'm the advisor for. I'm trying to look for a camera that fulfills the following requirements:

1) Easy to use. I don't want something that has 6 billion settings just to turn on the backlight (yes, these cameras do exist, and they're called "consumer" cameras). Something a little more sophisticated than "Push the red button for record", but not a GL2 or anything like that.

2) Sturdy. This thing will probably be passed around a bunch, and will most likely not be always carried in its carrying case. I have no control over this, it's just the way students are.

3) Economical. This is a hard question to ask. I have no budget as of yet, so I don't know how much to spend. I'm much more concerned about the camera quality. I can probably find the money *somewhere*.

4) (The obvious one) Works with my Mac. Believe it or not, there are a few cameras that *don't*. I'm looking for iMovie compatibility.

5) Format: MiniDV is not a requirement. In fact, if there are any consumer cameras out there with hard drive technology built in, it would be great.

Thanks for the help. Good recommendations are hard to find online.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Hoops Coach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2004, 01:50 PM

1) Easy to use. I don't want something that has 6 billion settings just to turn on the backlight (yes, these cameras do exist, and they're called "consumer" cameras). Something a little more sophisticated than "Push the red button for record", but not a GL2 or anything like that.

I teach 8th grade math and science. I also teach a period of time called extensions. I havebeen using iMovie for about 3 years now with my kids. I have a pretty nice set up as far as "academia" goes, but I to was in the dark when I started this process. I purchased a Panasonic PV-DV402D for my first camera. It has an external mic port which allowed me to use an XLR adapter and a handheld mic. My second camera was the Canon ZR 65. Many of the same features, easy for kids to handle, battery life is OK, etc... The Panasonic was around 425.00 and the Canon was 345.00. (Both purchased from Abe's of Maine) The Canon line has been updated and now does not incorporate an external mic port.

2) Sturdy. This thing will probably be passed around a bunch, and will most likely not be always carried in its carrying case. I have no control over this, it's just the way students are.

These cameras have been handled by middle schoolers...enough said. (For the unsure, imagine a 14 year old in a china shop....) My studentds have documented field day at the high school...an 8 hour assigment condensed into 2-3 minutes of news footage style video.

3) Economical. This is a hard question to ask. I have no budget as of yet, so I don't know how much to spend. I'm much more concerned about the camera quality. I can probably find the money *somewhere*.

Order as many cameras as you have pairs of students. I have access to 8 more Canon cameras through our Gov. School so I am usually able to group students in 2's or 3's

4) (The obvious one) Works with my Mac. Believe it or not, there are a few cameras that *don't*. I'm looking for iMovie compatibility.
Both have been a dream to work with...only caveat and this may apply to process not equipment. DO NOT change the tape length setting (SP, LP,etc...) as this creates gaps in the time code for imove ansd video gets choppy and sound is corrupted.

5) Format: MiniDV is not a requirement. In fact, if there are any consumer cameras out there with hard drive technology built in, it would be great.

These are MiniDV. I prefer this because it allows me to not put all the "eggs" in one basket. Each group gets a tape....they keep up with it and it does not delay others form working if cameras are in short supply. (So long as the video has been loaded ona hard drive.)

As for my computer set up. I have 3 B&W G3 towers all running OSX and iMovie. I have a 15" G$ 800 flat panel and I have 2 200GB Lacie hard drives. My students created a news show that was produced 2 times a semester. Some years, success has been high than others but all seem to end up OK. We have also made Simple Machine advertisements, Public service announcements, How to videos, and other misc. projects. I have created a video yearbook complete with music and such for the students enjoyment at the end of the year.

Hope this helps....feel free to email or PM if more info needed out of my set up!

KEITH

jwblase  (op)
Senior User
Jun 7, 2004, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the info! Being a teacher yourself, you have a clue as to the things that students are doing to this wonderful technology that costs us so much (namely breaking it).

I'll look at both cameras and comparables to see what I can dig up.

Now, all I need is a good grant to purchase it all with, and I'm golden!

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

Forum Links
Forum Rules