Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > FTP Application

FTP Application
Mooga2
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2005, 07:21 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an FTP application that allows you to edit (css) files directly on the server with CSSEdit? I know that everyone uses Transmit around here, but one of its limitations is specifying the program to "live" documents (unless you like editing css with TextWrangler!).

If anyone has any great FTP finds, please let me know!

Thanks,
- moo!
"He only has one look... it's like I've been taking crazy pills!"

jyunderwood
Apr 6, 2005, 08:57 PM

well would have to be a two way street.

first cssEditor would have to support ODB Editor Suite - what allows editors and ftp clients to talk to eachother.

then ftp clients would have to allow you to have one editor for one file ext and one for another.
fluid like water.

Mooga2  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2005, 09:56 PM

Thanks anyway... I found the solution in an FTP browser that I used many, many years ago in Macintosh OS9. Interarchy, but of course! (www.interarchy.com)

It has a FTP disk mode that allows for dragging and dropping onto the dock, perfect for editing live in any application.

Later on, yall.
- moo!

jyunderwood
Apr 6, 2005, 09:59 PM

Is what you are describing like syncing a folder with a ftp server? if so,Transmit 3 now has that feature too and FTPeel as well. also I think CyberDuck, open source, is working on the feature too.
fluid like water.

Mooga2  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2005, 09:19 AM

Actually, not really. On various FTP programs you can click "edit" and edit documents live on the server -- as you hit save, the document it automatically uploads the changes without having to manually upload. I wanted Transmit (or another FTP program) to open up (css) documents in a specific program called CSSEdit for editing live on the server. In Transmit, there is a pre-defined list of programs that it will open up to; unfortunately, CSSEdit is not included among this list.

Oh, well!

jyunderwood
Apr 7, 2005, 10:53 AM

right. CSSEdit doesn't support ODB Editor Suite so it wouldn't be supported.

What I was talking about was the FTPDisk mode that Interarchy features is like auto syncing in Transmit and FTPeel and CyberDuck started working on in the 2.4 Betas.

Oh well. you have a solution that works for you.
fluid like water.

Forum Links
Forum Rules