Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Alternative Keyboard Layout

Alternative Keyboard Layout
John Gault
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 05:23 PM

I am thinking about trying an alternative layout keyboard and was wondering if anyone has any comments? ie. how much of a productivty increase/decrease, learning curve, ect. I am mainly thinking about the Dvorak Keyboard but am interested in any info on any alternative layout.
Mac Pro. 2.6GHz, 3 Gb Ram, 500/250/250Gb HdD, Radeon 1900Xt, 23" HD Display

All_Insane
Feb 13, 2007, 07:28 PM

I switched to Dvorak last month when I was bored (and drunk). I use it at home only (still on Qwerty at work) and I don't type thaaaaaat much these days now that I'm out of school. On Qwerty, I type about 50 - 60 WPM, with Dvorak, I'm sitting around 25 WPM after a month of use.

But I'm starting to feel more comfortable with it. Now that I'm not in school, I've been hungering for a challenge, and this works.

One thing I found is that if I enabled Qwerty and Dvorak, the computer would sometimes switch back to Qwerty for no reason.

chrisdisregard
Feb 13, 2007, 07:33 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:11 PM. )

StarCross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 05:30 PM

When my left hand was in a splint (kind of a pseudo-cast), I forced myself to learn Dvorak right-handed so I could continue writing. It's comfortable in a way that all the keys are easily accessible, but it doesn't really improve speed (duh, one-handed typing). I did have to download a keyboard layout file and install it in the System folder of some sort, and that is because OS X doesn't include a Dvorak right and left-handed layout compared to Linux and Windows.

I had no problem with it working with almost all applications and dialog boxes, provided that one enables "Use one input source in all documents" option under the International Preferences. For some reason, Opera insists on wanting to use U.S. Qwerty, at least in 10.4.8.

I went back to using Qwerty after my hand healed. I can switch back to Dvorak right-handed at anytime, although I have to type some test keys to get myself to remember. Comes in handy when you're holding the phone with one hand and jotting notes on the keyboard.

I might consider using Dvorak standard, although I'd like to have both hands do equal work. Dvorak standard seems to be slanted for righties, and I'm normally right handed (but I mouse with the left).

Forum Links
Forum Rules