Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Unfamiliar Bathroom Etiquette in Dominican Republic

Unfamiliar Bathroom Etiquette in Dominican Republic (Page 2)
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 12:19 PM

You are all cry babies. I will take a crap wherever flushed tp or not. I'm a liberated crapper. Also, its essentially going to the same place whether you are using a flushable toilet, using a hole-toilet, or having to put the paper in a container. It's all psychological conditioning as to what's gross and what isn't. I prefer the flushable toilet of course, but I've never cancelled an urgent bowel movement because I was too delicate to use a hole-toilet. BTW, It's just plain rude to have guests over without having a supply of toilet paper--what's a person to do? I would have used the towel too in retribution. lol

If Chinese people want to look, fine. They can take a picture and put it on a postcard.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 18, 2008, 09:07 PM

Actually, squatting is a better position to thoroughly empty the colon as all campers will no doubt agree. And maple leaves are the best for clean up as their width will make sure of no finger contact. Then just drop wipings on pile before rising. Ahhhh, feels good doesn't it?

No hole in a floor scares me as long as I can't fall in.

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2008, 11:55 PM

Ha-ha! No seriously, I'm never leaving this country again.

All_Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 07:42 AM

When I was in Corfu, Greece, we were warned NOT to flush our TP, but to drop it in the garbage next to the toilet. It was explained to us that the plumbing in Greek toilets is poorly designed ("Must have been an English designer!" quipped our Welsh tour leader) so toilets can only handle biological waste. TP blocks them up. I really felt for the housekeeper who was assigned to my room, as I had the stomach flu the entire time.

Speaking of English plumbing, has anyone else noticed that North American toilets flush with far more power than toilets in the UK? These British toilets drive me crazy!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by All_Insane View Post
Speaking of English plumbing, has anyone else noticed that North American toilets flush with far more power than toilets in the UK? These British toilets drive me crazy!
That's because everyone in Britain makes delicate poos and doesn't need the flushing power. Unlike, say, uncouth, neanderthal cowboys who create huge poos.
I'm kidding. It's actually because if the toilets had a stronger pull they'd get confused as to what was actually a real turd and what was just Britain and try to drag it all in.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2008, 09:56 AM

As opposed to Ireland and the rest of Europe aparently. Every toilet I've seen during the past two weeks in Rome, Venice, Vienna, Frankfurt, Munich, and Dublin has flushed like a waterslide.

Tiresias
Apr 20, 2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I was told that this practice was also common in not-so-urban parts of South Korea, with the explained reason being that human wastes go into the mix of field fertilizers... Don't know how true that is.
It is done in South Korea, though not as a rule. I could never understand it, but your explanation makes a lot of sense because I know a lot of Korean farmers use human excrement as fertilizer.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by All_Insane View Post
peaking of English plumbing, has anyone else noticed that North American toilets flush with far more power than toilets in the UK? These British toilets drive me crazy!
I think the brits invented flushing toilets in 1596 (Americans still shat in holes until 1850), so maybe the Brits have more practice.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
I think the brits invented flushing toilets in 1596
This caused a wiki-loop in Doofland, which led to the real (original) meaning of the word "crap". Interesting.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2008, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
This caused a wiki-loop in Doofland, which led to the real (original) meaning of the word "crap". Interesting.
Isn't it just? Though I think the assertion that flush toilets were absent from over here until 1850 is an exaggeration-there were probably quite a few flush toilets in use here, though they weren't "generally" in use until much later. It takes a certain level of infrastructure to be able to make one of those things work; a hand pumped well is not a very functional source for a flush toilet.

On another note, "hard-flushing American toilets" are an endangered species. All newly made toilets are "low flow" units, that use a lot less water. Only specially designed units can manage to powerfully flush with the maximum low-flow volume of flush.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 10:16 PM

On another note, "hard-flushing American toilets" are an endangered species. All newly made toilets are "low flow" units, that use a lot less water. Only specially designed units can manage to powerfully flush with the maximum low-flow volume of flush.
Environmentalists, eh? Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

I suspect a lot of our toilets will go the same way. In the new house, the one in the master ensuite is really girly and pathetic (I believe it's the newest one). Needs a V8 fitting to it or something.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 20, 2008, 10:26 PM

I think the brits invented flushing toilets in 1596 (Americans still shat in holes until 1850), so maybe the Brits have more practice.
The last two houses I owned both originally were built without toilets. One was built in 1881 and the other in 1900. My father tells of using the outhouse when he was growing up back in the 1950s

Railroader
Banned
Apr 20, 2008, 10:28 PM

You should see the flushing power of the toilets in the house I am currently living in. They have two buttons, one for #1 and the other for #2.

I won't be home for a week or so, I'll video record it and post it here if I remember.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 04:44 AM

Mine has two buttons too, neither of them are any good.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 06:04 AM

Japanese toilets range from horrible to super amazing. The Japanese squat toilets are interesting. While they're 'cleaner' than normal toilets because you never actually touch it, it seems as if a lot of people have... spills. My female friends often complain of this. Another major problem is that with Japan's population becoming very very very old, a lot of people are unable to use squat toilets. (Three years in Japan and I've never used a squat toilet. They scare me. Plus I would never fit into the stalls in my Junior High School.)

Something I find super funny about Japan and toilet etiquette is that women constantly flush when in the stall (so I'm told by my female friends). They have a phobia about people hearing them go. A lot of new public toilets have buttons you can press to play sounds of water running, so to save on actual water.

On the upside a lot of toilets in homes are heated... I wish mine was... theres no power outlet in the toilet room... believe me, I was tempted.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2008, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You should see the flushing power of the toilets in the house I am currently living in. They have two buttons, one for #1 and the other for #2.
That’s been standard in new toilets here for over a decade now.

The last two houses I owned both originally were built without toilets. One was built in 1881 and the other in 1900. My father tells of using the outhouse when he was growing up back in the 1950s
My dad grew up in the sticks of Mors in the ’60s and ’70s, and they had an outhouse, too. I think they finally installed an actual bathroom in about ’75 or so.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
That’s been standard in new toilets here for over a decade now.

My dad grew up in the sticks of Mors in the ’60s and ’70s, and they had an outhouse, too. I think they finally installed an actual bathroom in about ’75 or so.
Two button toilets are VERY rare here. The toilets we have were made in [man, I can't remember, but it was a northern European country, possibly Denmark ].

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 09:28 AM

Heh. There's at least three toilet factories within five minutes of here. That's what you get for living in the ceramics capital of the universe.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 09:31 AM

You live in China?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 10:22 AM

No, I live in the ceramics capital of the universe.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 12:10 PM

You live in China?
Uncle Doofy needs a trip to Foshan 佛山

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
I thought Foshan was the furniture capital of the world?!?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Why would I need a trip from the ceramics capital of the Universe to the ceramics capital of Guangdong?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Two button toilets are VERY rare here. The toilets we have were made in [man, I can't remember, but it was a northern European country, possibly Denmark ].
I remembered the name: Caroma. It's an Australian company and I think they were made in Australia.

I've never seen anything like it in the USA.

We also only use the 1/2 flush button. It has enough power to flush anything. Downside: it keeps very little water in the bowl, so when we are gone long periods of time the water almost completely evaporates.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2008, 03:05 PM

It's an Australian company and I think they were made in Australia.
Ah, Denmark’s Australian neighbours, the toilet capital of northern Europe.

I’d say, at a wild guesstimate, about 60–70 per cent of toilets here are of that sort.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 03:18 PM

Are those compressed air toilets by any chance? They use air to power the small quantity of water down through the bowl and blast anything there into microscopic particles. It's been a long time since I saw anything on those, but they have a lot of promise.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Why would I need a trip from the ceramics capital of the Universe to the ceramics capital of Guangdong?

Oh my god, you live in Armitage Shanks?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 21, 2008, 07:27 PM

Are those compressed air toilets by any chance? They use air to power the small quantity of water down through the bowl and blast anything there into microscopic particles. It's been a long time since I saw anything on those, but they have a lot of promise.
Not sure how they work, but there does seem to be more there than just water pressure. There is no electrical hookup, only one water line.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 05:25 AM

I hate the asian squatting toilets, i will rather do an extra scoop around to find a western toilet. and test it before I use it (i mean flush it), it prevents embarrassment later on.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
I hate the asian squatting toilets, i will rather do an extra scoop around to find a western toilet. and test it before I use it (i mean flush it), it prevents embarrassment later on.
Totally! Nothing worse than feeling sick (downtown) and having to run around to find a non-squat toilet. Danger! Danger!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm about to head of to an open air party near Slovakia, it will have no toilet facilities. Nothing is worse than getting stuck in the middle of a technoparty area that can grow out (overnight) to the size of a small city and having stomach cramps the following morning (you will need to cross a too large area to find a quiet place) and even if there is a dixie they might top it over with you inside it. so people will use any place with shadow to do their business, so you need to be careful of others too
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules