Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Accelerometer way off!

iPhone Accelerometer way off!
MM-o4
Senior User
Aug 28, 2008, 09:07 AM

Hey I just got my iPhone and am having issues with the accelerometer. For example no matter which way I turn the iPhone is goes and stays in wide screen. Also when playing songs it goes to cover flow even when in portrait. I can get it to go into portrait mode only by turning it completely upside down.
Is there any trick to calibrate this? I have search around a bit but no luck. I can calibrate in some games which does fix the problem but that only fixes the game itself not the rest of the iPhone.

Any help will be great. Otherwise I will have to see if the store will swap it or I will have to deal with Apple and get it repaired which will be no fun on waiting

Thanks

hemant
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2008, 10:04 AM

When switching from "landscape" to "portrait" or vice-versa make sure you are holding your phone perpendicular to the ground.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by hemant View Post
When switching from "landscape" to "portrait" or vice-versa make sure you are holding your phone perpendicular to the ground.

Yep. Good advice.

MM-o4  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2008, 05:37 PM

haha, good catch I didn't mention that

I have had a Touch since release and am up to speed on how it 'should' work.

For example I was sent a url in a text message. I am holding the iPhone as u would a normal phone ( upright portrait). I hit the link and it opens Safari and as soon as it load something it goes into wide screen with out my changing the orientation of the iPhone. Also it is impossible to get Safari to go back to Portrait no matter which way I turn the iPhone

I was hoping there was a system calibration for it. Because it work, just it's values are wrong. I will call Apple today and see what happens. I will post back with what happens.

Thanks for your replies

MM-o4  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2008, 12:23 AM

as I thought it was broken.

The Apple Genius I saw took 30 seconds to look at it and hooked my up with a new one
Great job Apple (besides the fact it wasn't checked properly before it left the factory).

He did say it was the first he has seen let alone heard about. Lucky me

Forum Links
Forum Rules