Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day!
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2009, 10:52 AM

142 years old and still runnin'.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2009, 11:29 AM

Didn't we have a thread about this a year or two ago?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 11:32 AM

This is the one day a year the US doesn't beat up Canada and take its lunch money, though we'll do that tomorrow and pants it in front of the girls' gym class to make up for it.

iM@k
Senior User
Jul 1, 2009, 12:28 PM

Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a freshwater system what has Canada ever done for us? ....what? That was the Romans? oh....never mind.
What, me worry?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 02:34 PM

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 1, 2009, 03:11 PM

I like "Dominion Day." When I was growing up, near Detroit, it was the start of a 4-day celebration, with fireworks, parades, parties and all sorts of other celebrations, culminating in "Independence Day." Happy Birthday, Canada!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2009, 11:29 PM

I would love to have a laugh at Canada with the rest of you, but since a law school there published a blog post of mine this week I'm going to be nice.

Happy Canada Day!

IP Osgoode - Intellectual Property Law & Technology Program
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

iM@k
Senior User
Jul 1, 2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I would love to have a laugh at Canada with the rest of you, but since a law school there published a blog post of mine this week I'm going to be nice.

Happy Canada Day!

Well in your proverbial absence I'll go for seconds (For the record my father's side of the family is French Canadian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA
What, me worry?

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 2, 2009, 01:23 AM

Blame Canada...but not today!

MM-o4
Senior User
Jul 2, 2009, 01:40 AM

I'm happy for Canada

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 08:55 AM

Happy Canada Day!

Interesting little read. I've been using it for courses myself and I wondered about that.

And I just looked up your law school and happened to see tuition. Ye gads man! I pretty much had a heart attack.

greg

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Interesting little read. I've been using it for courses myself and I wondered about that.

And I just looked up your law school and happened to see tuition. Ye gads man! I pretty much had a heart attack.

greg
Nice legal website there, and very good paper. My own professors have simply depended on "noticing similarities" from our admittedly narrow field's literature, and if needed they copy the text and do a search themselves.

On the subject of Canada, I can also point out that "my field's literature" includes as a critical component, "The Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy." Along with The British Journal, The Australian Journal, and The American Journal, that's pretty much the extent of our literature... Plus, the Canadian therapists have produced a model of occupation that is extremely useful in evaluating and treating patients, an "additional tool in the tool box" if you will. Gotta hand it to 'em for that.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post

greg
Thank you. I initially wrote the essay on the case as an independent research project while taking intellectual property. After reading an article on the Osgoode site I disagreed with I posted some comments and then I was asked to write a post showing the other side of the story.

Yea, tuition is a bitch and finding a job is even harder. I'll get back to that after I take the NY and NJ bar exams.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:06 AM

I had the happiest canada day ever... by that I mean my dad came over and installed my window air conditioner in my apartment (Apparently it's a lot more work than putting it in a window and putting a board over top) I can now finally have friends over in the summer!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Nice legal website there, and very good paper. My own professors have simply depended on "noticing similarities" from our admittedly narrow field's literature, and if needed they copy the text and do a search themselves.
Did you actually download the full paper? It is a considerably heavier read than the version on the website. Then again it does have all that authority and that people seem to like.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 01:07 PM

Yea, tuition is a bitch and finding a job is even harder. I'll get back to that after I take the NY and NJ bar exams.
Yeah I've heard NY is hurting pretty bad huh? I know here in Canada the big economic cities (i.e. Toronto and parts of Calgary) have also seen a fairly steep downtown in hires/hirebacks. Outside of those areas however things seem to fair steady, if perhaps a little slower. I was lucky enough to get a summering/articling position at a regional firm and it's been great thus far....

greg

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 01:12 PM

Did you actually download the full paper? It is a considerably heavier read than the version on the website. Then again it does have all that authority and that people seem to like.
Just the web page bit. I didn't have a very good opinion of commercial "plagiarism checkers" before, and what opinion I had was pushed WAY down by the "professor says you have to use this" and "since you MUST use this service, your 'agreement' is given under duress, but that holds up in court?" issues. My blood pressure doesn't need any help staying above "normal" right now, so I'll read the whole thing later.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 04:05 PM

Just the web page bit. I didn't have a very good opinion of commercial "plagiarism checkers" before, and what opinion I had was pushed WAY down by the "professor says you have to use this" and "since you MUST use this service, your 'agreement' is given under duress, but that holds up in court?" issues. My blood pressure doesn't need any help staying above "normal" right now, so I'll read the whole thing later.
Turnitin wasn't just upheld up in one court, it held up on appeal as well. The exact facts of the case are a bit murky, but the basic point is that although Turnitin's ultimate goal is admirable the way they go about it is wrong.

This is one time where the line "won't someone think of the children" actually needs to be spoken.

We saw what happens when the RIAA treats everyone like criminals and I see this as the start of a large trend in the same direction.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 05:53 PM

Turnitin wasn't just upheld up in one court, it held up on appeal as well. The exact facts of the case are a bit murky, but the basic point is that although Turnitin's ultimate goal is admirable the way they go about it is wrong.

This is one time where the line "won't someone think of the children" actually needs to be spoken.

We saw what happens when the RIAA treats everyone like criminals and I see this as the start of a large trend in the same direction.
I think knowing that "the faculty is watching and paying attention" is a strong message. Strong enough that, especially when the one wise guy who thinks he is clever tries to pass a stolen paper and gets caught, EVERYBODY will pay attention. Of course kids shouldn't think they can steal other people's work in the first place, especially when CITING lots of references and making some sort of statement about what they mean and how they relate is actually pretty good paper writing in a lot of cases. I got dinged once for OVERdoing citations, but then APA standard citations suck anyway. A lot.

Back to Canada, how'd you get this published by this particular site?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 06:52 PM

I think knowing that "the faculty is watching and paying attention" is a strong message. Strong enough that, especially when the one wise guy who thinks he is clever tries to pass a stolen paper and gets caught, EVERYBODY will pay attention. Of course kids shouldn't think they can steal other people's work in the first place, especially when CITING lots of references and making some sort of statement about what they mean and how they relate is actually pretty good paper writing in a lot of cases. I got dinged once for OVERdoing citations, but then APA standard citations suck anyway. A lot.

Back to Canada, how'd you get this published by this particular site?
After writing my independent research paper, and also because I am interested in the topic in general I started searching for posts about Tturnitin on google and twitter. I noticed an article on the Osgoode site about it (as well as two sites that I commented to) that had one comment and I felt obligated to present the opposite side of the story. That was here http://www.iposgoode.ca/2009/04/fair...tudent-papers/

A month later a friendly Canadian (are there any other kinds?) emailed me referencing my comment and asked me if I would like to write a guest blog entry. Since the hard work was already done for me and I enjoy writing on the subject I agreed. Not having a job and getting my name out there any way I could also played a factor (I can now google my name and get relevant results!). I was originally told to write between 500-700 words which I found to be impossible. I totally scrapped the first entry I wrote and started over. The chart in the post was a much to make things clearer as a way to save on words by omitting needless transition sentences.

It has been an interesting process particularly because I am very pro fair use. Cases like this one are exactly why fair use is decided on a case by case basis.

Forum Links
Forum Rules