Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > StarMax

StarMax
redeew
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2001, 12:12 AM

I posted this earlier but somehow it seems to have disappeared so let`s try one more time.
I picked up a StarMax 3000/160 whitch has OS 8.1 installed (but all the connections are PC,go figure).
what I wanna know is can I wire this sucker up to my Performa and if so,how??
Brought to you by the Performa 6320
with 48mb ram and a StarMax 3000/160 with 96mb ram and both on OS 8.1
And of course Netscape 4.79

xandro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2001, 11:35 AM

I have a StarMax 3000/180. Unfortunately I'm not very techie, so I can't answer your question. But if you don't get any answers here, there's a StarMax website where I get answers to lots of my questions: Starmax.net.

The site is under construction now, but the webmaster's email address is there.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2001, 05:23 PM

Three words. Ethernet, Ethernet, Ethernet. The other three words, investment, investment, investment.

Your 6320 has a slot called the comm slot. It often came from the factory with a very poor quality DSP modem. If you are still using that DSP modem, otherwise known as a GeoPort, go out while they are still available and get a Global Village external modem. You deserve an upgrade. Then remove the piece of junk DSP modem in the computer and install a Comm Slot ethernet card. On your Starmax you might be able to find an Ethernet jack. Purhcase a hub and connect the Starmax to the hub and the 6320 to the hub and you have a very functional and fast home network.

If you don't find an Ethernet jack on the Starmax, then you will need to purchase a PCI Ethernet card, make sure you purchase the card from a manufacturer such as Asante or Farallon which sell cards with the appropriate Mac drivers.

Also, your Starmax has both some PC like ports and Mac like ports. The Motherboard design that Motorola used was meant to be used with the forthcoming PPCP standard that never developed.

I think you will find the Starmax to be a very capapble clone.

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2001, 07:46 AM

How about this then?
How do you rebuild the desktop on these things (I ain`t got no Apple key,just F-keys)?

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2001, 12:46 AM

Try holding down ctrl and alt and see if that does anything. Of course, it is at this point that I suggest getting a standard ADB keyboard. There should be ports on it for that. No clone Apple hardware that I'm aware of didn't come with the requisite Apple ports. I recommend eBay for getting older keyboards that don't cost a lot.

<anonymous>
Aug 2, 2001, 09:49 AM

You could try TechTool to rebuild the desktop.

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2001, 06:10 PM

I never did find a key combo that will do anything. I ended up putting a copy of ResEdit and TechTool on it And it was a faulty plug keeping me from networking ,so that`s two problems down (374 to go).
Now for a new one.I`ve got a NEC (German made) CDRom (internal) drive,model "CDR-271" with no specs.Any one know if this will work or where to look???

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2001, 06:17 PM

I had a 3000 too and it had serial ports. Why not just hook the two together that way, unless you need high speed. No investment needed, just a serial cable and the two Macs.

Good luck and if you need more help drop me an e-mail.
Later,
Nick

<redeew>
Aug 9, 2001, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by cbr600f4:
<STRONG>I had a 3000 too and it had serial ports. Why not just hook the two together that way, unless you need high speed. No investment needed, just a serial cable and the two Macs.

Good luck and if you need more help drop me an e-mail.
Later,
Nick</STRONG>
I did that and it works (after I changed out the bad cable) but it works wierd. I can connect to the Performa from the 3000 but not the other way around.But I can connect,that`s the main thing.Now,how do I speed things up?It transfers at around 1mb a minute.Is that good???

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2001, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by xandro:
<STRONG>I have a StarMax 3000/180. Unfortunately I'm not very techie, so I can't answer your question. But if you don't get any answers here, there's a StarMax website where I get answers to lots of my questions: Starmax.net.

The site is under construction now, but the webmaster's email address is there.</STRONG>
StarMax.net is an ISP.

<firefly>
Aug 16, 2001, 07:33 PM

Hi, a little advice:

About 1mb/minute is all you will ever get out of a localtalk serial connection. It's slow, that's for sure. Note that if you get a comm slot ethernet card for the performa, you need one based on the original Comm slot standard (what the 6320 and earlier used - CS II cards won't work). The original 10 base-T CS cards are no longer made, you'll need to find one second hand. Or, a PDS Ethernet card would be just as good.

Also, note that not all the CS modems shipped with the performas were cheap DSP ones (the Geoport + Express). There was one called the Apple Personal modem, made in 14.4k and 28.8k speeds, and comprised the Rockwell chipset. It worked perfectly well for a 28.8 and didn't slow down the mac as a DSP (or 'soft') one would. I think these were only distributed in Europe though. The Global Village CS ones were good too.

I also had a 6320 (free from my old school a couple of years ago), but just gave it to a member of my family as an 'introduction' to computers. Glad I could give it a home somewhere, as it just sat in my cupboard

redeew  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2001, 09:41 PM

Thanks.
The StarMax has an ethernet card in it (donno what kind though) unfortunatly,my Performa don`t.
There`s a reset button on the front of it.Wonder if that`s their version of a panic button (cause that`s what I use it for).

Forum Links
Forum Rules