Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Quitting OSX and Macs altogether and what I am getting instead

Quitting OSX and Macs altogether and what I am getting instead
Hash
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 04:15 PM

Well, few years ago Macs were highly respected for their advanced GUI and ease of use. People paid premium to get Macs because of these advantages, even though Macs really had no software to choose, except for few desktop publishing things (for all other things Windows had more software). Everybody using Mac was considered to be an artist or someone "special". Some Mac users even now still think they are "elite" of all computer users..But, now its blue Unix, whatever you say..and its GUI just sucks. Yes, it can do multitasking...To get the system work you need latest G4 with 300-500 mb RAM..for what? What it does better than a decent Windows machine for 15 hundred bucks?? Unix users love it, I am sure...old Mac users either stick to OS9, or partly moved to OSX but there is third alternative- quitting Mac OS platform altogether. What i get is fantastic: Windows machines are cheaper! Lots of software! Snappy and sharp (at least compared to OSX) GUI! Abundance of competitively priced hardware..Thousands of latest games! All PC cards, Firewire and USB devices..fast applications...I ll leave OS X to UNIX geeks, let em play with Terminal..I ll use OS 9 till it dies from age and Windows for work and games...Besides latest models of PC from Sony (vaio) or desktops of NEC are so sexy and have bundled LCD screens for less than 1200 dollars for Pentium III 850, i lose nothing compared to what i would have pay for a decent Mac to use with that slow OSX..That is my choice

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2001, 04:20 PM

Well, we're sorry to see you go. We'll keep your room reserved; see you in a couple months!
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

proceedNeXT
Forum Regular
May 12, 2001, 04:24 PM

As I see it now, this is the only solution, because Apple is definately not changing MacOS X the way it should to provide a usable system.

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 04:30 PM

Say. Hash - what kind of a Mac do you currently own? And how much would you be wanting to sell it for? I'm serious about this - if you want to sell your (decent) Mac equipment at a reasonable price, I'd be interested in it.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 12, 2001, 04:30 PM

don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nobody said migrating to a brand new OS would be easy. Good luck with Windows.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Good luck with Windows.
....you'll need it...

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tie
Professional Poster
May 12, 2001, 04:34 PM

Well, I'm not the most patient person and I've complained a lot about OS X -- still do -- but what do you really expect? It's only been a month and a half. If you feel that way about X, why don't you stick with 9? I think that, because the Finder has been such a problem and yet Apple has not updated it at all, there is sure to be a big improvement at MWNY. Even then it won't be perfect and it might even be worse than 9. But I do think Apple is going in the right direction.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 04:35 PM

I use Mac G3/350 and Vaio notebook. I am not going to sell Mac- on OS9 it works fine, but Vaio is also good on Windows..and after using OSX i think Windows desktop with 15-17 LCD will be best upgrade, since i have got few Windows software titles and can use them on desktop too.

Brad Nelson
Forum Regular
May 12, 2001, 04:38 PM

Hash, you'll get a lot of abuse for your remarks, but OS X has made me take a second look at Windows. And a third look. If one has to adapt to a non-Mac-like interface anyway then there are advantages to moving to Windows, as you've mentioned.

Lord Kronos
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 04:45 PM

This is a Mac OS X forum, and your post has nothing to do with Mac OS X.

You're free to go, who cares ? I don't.

------------------
"Resistance is futile"
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 12, 2001, 04:50 PM

I'm going to move this one over to The Lounge. Click through to find the thread.

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 04:51 PM

Thank you, Brad for warning.. Sure i ll need it..
I agree with you: for me, OSX is a new OS. I tried to use OSX for a month, despite that my USB mouse wheel does not work, my modem did not work until 10.0.1 update, i also tried Classic, actively downloaded all OSX software..then i came to a conclusion: OS 9 and Windows are probably all i need. It is sad to say so because my first computer was LC630 on which I used Illustrator to work and i like macs..but, really, since I used Windows too, I now see that OSX just does not have that edge to justify a premium price for it or for necessary hardware.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
Well, few years ago Macs were highly respected for their advanced GUI and ease of use. People paid premium to get Macs because of these advantages, even though Macs really had no software to choose, except for few desktop publishing things (for all other things Windows had more software). Everybody using Mac was considered to be an artist or someone "special". Some Mac users even now still think they are "elite" of all computer users..But, now its blue Unix, whatever you say..and its GUI just sucks. Yes, it can do multitasking...To get the system work you need latest G4 with 300-500 mb RAM..for what? What it does better than a decent Windows machine for 15 hundred bucks?? Unix users love it, I am sure...old Mac users either stick to OS9, or partly moved to OSX but there is third alternative- quitting Mac OS platform altogether. What i get is fantastic: Windows machines are cheaper! Lots of software! Snappy and sharp (at least compared to OSX) GUI! Abundance of competitively priced hardware..Thousands of latest games! All PC cards, Firewire and USB devices..fast applications...I ll leave OS X to UNIX geeks, let em play with Terminal..I ll use OS 9 till it dies from age and Windows for work and games...Besides latest models of PC from Sony (vaio) or desktops of NEC are so sexy and have bundled LCD screens for less than 1200 dollars for Pentium III 850, i lose nothing compared to what i would have pay for a decent Mac to use with that slow OSX..That is my choice
"To get the system work you need latest G4 with 300-500 mb RAM..for what?"
To get Windows to run decently you need about the Same. The same for what can be asked of windows as well.

"What it does better than a decent Windows machine for 15 hundred bucks??"
One word... iMovie

"I am sure...old Mac users either stick to OS9"
Well I'm a "old" Mac user from Back in 1987 and I have made the Switch fully to OS X.

"To get the system work you need latest G4 with 300-500 mb RAM..for what?"
Well I don't have the newest G4 to run it (wish I did though). I also have it running on my Powerbook G3 which btw has only 256 megs of RAM not the 300 you say is needed. My G4 is 2 generations old already. I have 640 Megs of RAM in that machine because I feel you can never have enough of it.

"Windows machines are cheaper! Lots of software!"
cheaper, depends on the components you have in it. Yes it has lots of Software. I personally don't need 10 million shoot'em up games. I would like several good ones though.

Well, Since you've made up your mind it seems, enjoy Windows. XP is Just around the Corner.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Brad Nelson:
Hash, you'll get a lot of abuse for your remarks, but OS X has made me take a second look at Windows. And a third look. If one has to adapt to a non-Mac-like interface anyway then there are advantages to moving to Windows, as you've mentioned.

I'd have to agree with you on that Brad. Never in my life did I think I'd ever look into the possibility of using Windows. Unfortunately OS X made me do just that. I find that most of the users that share our views are those of Apple's core market (for now anyways), graphics/publishing professionals. OS X (in its present state) for us is not what we hoped for so it's only natural that we start to look at alternatives. I personally don't need the terminal and don't care to interact with my computer in that manner. The GUI in OS X is slow, even on the fastest machines (733 G4).

I'm going to stick with the mac for now though and give Apple 'til MWNY to show me something "insanely great." If they don't I unfortunatley may have to weigh my other options.
Who'sDaMac?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 05:37 PM

DP

[This message has been edited by I'mDaMac (edited 05-12-2001).]
Who'sDaMac?

AirSluf
Senior User
May 12, 2001, 05:53 PM

Good riddance. If you really have given up, could you do us the favor of not posting anymore too?

Nimisys
Banned
May 12, 2001, 05:53 PM

Hash, nice to have you on the light side of computing once again.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Brad Nelson:
I'm one who will not give anyone for choosing something else it is there choice. I for one have looked at PC's and work on them at work and even have one at home for my mom. The more I have to troubleshoot Windows here at work the LESS I like it. The one I have at home make me appreciate my Mac even more. I for one will NEVER use a PC unless I have to.

nealconner
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 05:54 PM

We don't like you're kind around here. Shoo!

------------------
neal andrew conner
[email protected]
aim: neal a conner

cynistar
May 12, 2001, 05:57 PM

Yep _ I think a good attitude at this point is - Ride out your current machine / OS combo as long as you can - Then, when the next killer App / Reason to upgrade comes out make your desicion.

But - At this point, I am by no means comitted to the Mac as my platform in the future as I was with OS 9x

So, if XP comes out and there is still no REAL compelling reason to switch to X then I'll just buy a cheap XP box to run the latest whatever...

But, I honestly think that if you look at the frameworks in OS X - the chances of cool stuff coming to X quickly are pretty good - It is just a question of will it be so good you'll want to buy another Mac - At this point that answer is a big NO.

Good luck Apple!

Nimisys
Banned
May 12, 2001, 06:03 PM

personally i question Mac OSX's underpinnings, while BSD provides a good solid core, it will face the same problems as all other linux distros, lack of software support. unfortunitly Linux users are faced with even fewer software choices than Mac users. i question microsoft's continuing of the office line for OSX just because of that. they haven;t shopwn in really effort for it in the past. on the pplus side Mac users will be exposed tot he software delites/horrors of linux programmers.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 06:11 PM

OS X is only 3 months Old People.
Some are complaining about the command line, well you don;t need to use it. Apple only put it there for people who want to use it.
I will Admit that Windows does have some cool things but not enough to make me EVER use a PC as my main machine.
Office XP is pretty cool too. People should use what they feel is best for them. I wonder what people will be like when Windows XP is out. hmmm what are the system requirements for it?

Give it some time. I'm sure OS X will only get better.

tie
Professional Poster
May 12, 2001, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
"What it does better than a decent Windows machine for 15 hundred bucks??"
One word... iMovie
If there's only one word here, then Apple has problems.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 12, 2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Nimisys:
personally i question Mac OSX's underpinnings, while BSD provides a good solid core, it will face the same problems as all other linux distros, lack of software support. unfortunitly Linux users are faced with even fewer software choices than Mac users. i question microsoft's continuing of the office line for OSX just because of that. they haven;t shopwn in really effort for it in the past. on the pplus side Mac users will be exposed tot he software delites/horrors of linux programmers.
OK, *what*? Your post makes no sense. The CoreOS has absolutely nothing to do with software support. The fact that OS X is UNIX-based doesn't mean that there will be software or that there won't be software.

I don't know what you mean, because there's a lot of alternative software for OS X (not the major commercial brands: Omni stuff, TIFFany, GIMP, Fire, etc), and a lot of the major commercial stuff is coming. Adobe was showing off InDesign betas in X at Seybold. Microsoft is going to demo OfficeX Beta for Mac OS X at MWNY (in Kevin Browne's feature presentation). FreeHand is already here.

OS X in no way is going to be plagued with Linux's problem of lack of commercial software support. 99% of software available for OS 9 will be ported to OS X, and there'll be a lot of new software too (Fire and OmniWeb, for example, will only run on OS X).

OS X has problems, but this isn't it. And Hash: I respect your decision to switch to Windows, but the reasons you cite are faulty: "What i get is fantastic: Windows machines are cheaper! Lots of software!" Um, Windows machines have always been cheaper, and Windows has 10x the software availability of OS 9. If anything, OS X should bring more software to the platform, because we have new stuff (Maya 4) and UNIX stuff (GIMP) coming as well as the old stuff (Office).

You seem to be complaining about the hardware here:

Abundance of competitively priced hardware..Thousands of latest games! All PC cards, Firewire and USB devices...<snip>Besides latest models of PC from Sony (vaio) or desktops of NEC are so sexy and have bundled LCD screens for less than 1200 dollars for Pentium III 850, i lose nothing compared to what i would have pay for a decent Mac <snip>
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but all of this has nothing to do with OS 9 or OS X, it has to do with Apple's hardware.

The only real criticism you've made of OS X is that you don't like the GUI. That's fine, and a viable reason to switch, but you've put all these other crap reasons in there (i.e. hardware) that have nothing to do with OS X. Basically you're switching because you don't like Aqua and you don't like the fact that it's UNIX-based. At least be clear about the reason for your switching; your post is very unclear.

Also, please use paragraph breaks. It's hard to read a huge gob of text.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by tie:
If there's only one word here, then Apple has problems.
The way it was phrased sounded like he couldn't think of a reason so I only listed one.

Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2001, 06:43 PM

while BSD provides a good solid core, it will face the same problems as all other linux distros
Linux isn't even based on BSD... do some research

Nothing To See Here
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2001, 06:50 PM

If you don't like MacOS X, then use something else. I've tried Win2000 and it was so horrible I went back to WinNT 4. (NT4 must be better anyway; it's faster).

NTSH
Nothing Lasts Forever; Everything ends.

[This message has been edited by Nothing To See Here (edited 05-12-2001).]

Nimisys
Banned
May 12, 2001, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by 00101001:
Linux isn't even based on BSD... do some research

BSD (Berkley Software Development) comes in two flavors: FreeBSD and BSD

FreeBSD is the common man distrrobution based off of Linux
BSD is the pure Unix Distrobution used in high-end servers, clusters, real supercomputers (the g4 does not count)

reality is that with a few exceptions, Unix=Linux, Linux=Unix. Linux tends to have better hardware support because of its nature and being free and all, but will still run and operate Unix apps. Unix tends to be better geared for specific enviroments (scientific studys for example) and customed tailored to the hardware its running off of, along with running Linux apps. so for all real purposes Unix and Linux are the same.

so for your info, BSD is a form of Linux/Unix, i did my homeowrk a few years ago, i think you need to do yours right now.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 07:36 PM

We will see you in a few months when people who upgrade to XP realize that there old software doesn't work and they need to wait for updates on everything, then need to pay for upgrades.

By then we will have already passed this hurdle.

------------------
Robert Accettura
Owner/Webmaster of

eep!
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 07:42 PM

To anyone who wants to buy a PC, I say go ahead. If you can use it for all the things you want AND save money, go ahead, enjoy.

you won't 'enjoy' of course, when it goes wrong, say, you install a mouse that requires a different driver, you install the driver, reboot and the computer goes into a loop: boot, starts windows, installs driver, reboots, starts windows, installs driver, reboots... so you boot into safe mode, it won't let you install the old driver so you can use your old mouse, when you reboot to get out of safe mode you get a prompt that states:

"System disk not found, insert disk and reboot."

you boot off a floppy and look for your harddisk, it's not there...
you load fdisk and find the MBR was trashed... along with all your files.
You didn't need those files did you?

This really happend to me.
Can I have my mac now please? I promise not to complain about a blue interface, command lines or slow window resizing... promise...

suprz
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 07:42 PM

"decent windows machine for 1500.00$"

just remember a bag of cow manure is cheap too....and that is a big pile of sh*t that stinks also....

but seriously, it is sad if you just give up and become a sheep......i wish you luck

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 12, 2001, 07:58 PM

great system, (for me) everything runs on it, apps. exts, customizing.
it's the fastest, most stable mac os i've run...

either way, you follow your needs.
i like the vaios, for instance.

but still think the mac os is the better os.

have fun!

------------------
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

eep!
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 08:04 PM

BSD (Berkley Software Development) comes in two flavors: FreeBSD and BSD
BSD = Berkeley Software Distribution and there are a number of BSDs

FreeBSD is the common man distrrobution based off of Linux
I got this "FreeBSD is a state-of-the-art operating system based on 4.4BSD-Lite" from here (read 'What is freeBSD?')

BSD is the pure Unix Distrobution used in high-end servers, clusters, real supercomputers (the g4 does not count)
Name these high-end servers, clusters and real supercomputers.

reality is that with a few exceptions, Unix=Linux, Linux=Unix.
what are those exceptions?

Linux tends to have better hardware support because of its nature and being free and all, but will still run and operate Unix apps.
What is the nature of Linux? Most of the BSDs are free. The BSDs can run Unix apps.

Unix tends to be better geared for specific enviroments (scientific studys for example) and customed tailored to the hardware its running off of, along with running Linux apps. so for all real purposes Unix and Linux are the same.
Unix has had something like 30 of development go into it. The people who do this work are often in research positions, where it (unix) is used to get work done and it needs to do it right, it's not there to be sold and keep a company afloat (Windows, Be) Linux, Unix and BSD apps are different. This is why Alias|Wavefront have released a version of Maya for Redhat, because Linux cannot run Irix apps.

so for your info, BSD is a form of Linux/Unix, i did my homeowrk a few years ago, i think you need to do yours right now.
BSD is not Linux.
And I suggest you go do some revision.

------------------
"Sometimes it's when everything seems to suck that we become motivated to find solutions to [our] problems." - MikeM32

[This message has been edited by eep! (edited 05-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by eep! (edited 05-12-2001).]

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 08:08 PM

I get alot of PC hardware ads faxed to me at work, and I have to admit, I've been looking at them more and more lately. I just can't believe the price differences....

Not saying I am moving anytime soon, but the price differences are getting soooo big now. And face it - you know half the people here spend 90% of their time with email, internet, and IM. The other 10% is spent farting around with the GUI. The PC isn't as cool, but does the internet thing just as well.

<zips up flame suit>

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

[This message has been edited by murbot (edited 05-12-2001).]

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2001, 09:14 PM

Everyone should make a choice based on their current needs and desires. Hash has done so and that is fine. It doesn't really matter what his reasons are, as perceptions can be important too. He perceives Windows is better, that doesn't make it so. People have to feel comfy with their computers. I feel comfy with OS X.

I think he was trying to bait this forum, but there is really nothing to get in a twist over. So he likes Windows better, big deal!

The Mac is not for everyone, if it was I wouldn't be using it.

And besides I stopped using a VIAO to use OS X, so Apple is even between the two of us.

-John

------------------

[This message has been edited by SillyMonk (edited 05-12-2001).]
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2001, 09:48 PM

APPLE LOWER YOUR DAMNED PRICES !!!!!!!!!
make all consumer based G3 nachines sub $1000 up to $1499, and not more !!!!!make low end G4 PBs and PMs sub $2000 !!!!!! dont make the same mistake you made with the first Mac !!!!

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2001, 10:04 PM

God, I just love threads like this.

"HEY, EVERYONE, I'M LEAVING THE RESTAURANT NOW!"

OK, thanks for sharing. I mean, what are we supposed to do? If we say "fine," we're labelled as apathetic. If we say, "your mistake" then we're "Apple Zombies." If we say, "oh, please don't go; we need you!" than we're maudlin idiots and desperate beggars. So no matter what, you get to feel better about yourself by looking down on us.

I'm not going to beg you as much as that's what you want considering you've posted this here. Why else would you declare your intent to a bunch of strangers in a Mac-oriented forum? I don't want you to think I don't have an opinion on your decision, so "fine" is out the window. So I'll go with option B: your mistake, and good riddance for that matter.

Ja, I love these threads because I love to point out others' vanity.

AirSluf
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 12:34 AM

BSD sits on top of a *nix based kernel, it is not *nix itself. It is meerly closely associated with *nix. Thats why it can sit on both Linux and Mach. You can get non-BSD Mach kernels as well.

Linux is not Unix. Unix is a trademarked and proprietary operating system owned by I don't know who now. The whole GNU open source that Linux supports stands for GNU is Not Unix.

Nimisys, I would give you a C++ on your homeowrk(sic)

[This message has been edited by AirSluf (edited 05-13-2001).]

plaidpjs
Senior User
May 13, 2001, 01:29 AM

Good-bye, good riddance, and please... leave the free peanuts before you exit the aircraft!

Uh, D'OH, PC hardware is cheaper... wah, wah, wah...

Sure it is, everybody and their mother is trying to get you to buy from them and gouging each others prices beyond belief. But, what's amazing is, that you didn't say a thing about quality? I've owned several PCs over the years, simply to play games on, and even with that light load, I can't tell you the number of times cheapo components have decided to go the way of the trash can.

Oh, and make sure you read all those "low-cost" PC ads. I was going to swap out my hard drive in my current PC (the old one has all but died in the last two weeks) and saw a 40GB drive for $149 at a local CompUSA... hehe, too bad it was a 5400 RPM drive.

Anyway!

Ciao!

------------------
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

Cipher13
May 13, 2001, 01:49 AM

The only thing stopping me from switching is Windows XP. Windows 2000 is great, but XP? No thanks.

I'll stick with OS9, and hope that OSX gets decent.

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 11:34 AM

To all who bashed my decision: i said i ll stick with OS9 till it dies and use windows for some things; what i however really dont want anymore is horrible OS X. That way, I am still Mac user, i only use OS 9 and NOT the OS 10.

About Windows: i have used Vaio notebook since 1999 (and I think of upgrading now) and i never encountered those problems with Windows you mention. Installing drivers is a bit time consuming, but then i dont install them everyday.

Prices are IMPORTANT. Same performance for less money-it what counts. Apple should learn it long ago. Now with OS X u get LESS performance for MORE money.

What is bad with cheap hardware? It is a sign of competitive market. And now good design is not Apple monopoly

I love OS 9 and i was waiting for OSX, which would preserve all good things of OS9 and add new functions. What i got is JUST different thing, totally and I feel it is not Macs I knew. If so why should i bother to pay premium prices for Apple? Give me good fast OS, i ll use it.

But dont give me damn thing, which does not let me use my 2 button scroll mouse, artpad, modems, scanners, leaves me wishing to buy thousands mB of Ram for decent use, leaves me without ability to use my digital camera and etc. I paid money for this all: i bought Mac OS X not to lose everything but to be more productive. What is so bad about that my wish? Is not is normal that new thing does old things better?

I was bashed as never in my life for speaking againts Mac OS X. Sure, it is easier to silence people by force or whatever, then to argue normally. It just proves that OS X fanatics dont have any arguments except - "it flies on my machines, you are stupid!"

But i am not so easily silenced and i have right for free speech. Damn, i never knew how some Mac users are limited in their perceptions. It is just sad to witness it.

eep!
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 11:45 AM

so, you're not going to use OSX because it doesn't have the drivers you need for the hardware you have now? and to get around this, you buy more hardware (wintel) to run WinXP which won't have the drivers you need for your camera/artpad/whatever?

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

I'm not an OSX freak, I don't even own a Mac at the moment, I'm just highlighting the flawed logic of your percieved solution.

macusrX
May 13, 2001, 11:49 AM

hash- respect what your saying..... please come back and let us know how great the win xp upgrade will go in october!

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2001, 11:50 AM

Although what you lose in speed due to OSX you gain alot of functionality that OS 9 simply does not have. Like protected memeory, the ability to crash the hell out of programs and not bring down the whole OS, and REAL multitasking.

But eh, who cares? Go to the PC......more Macs for me

------------------

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 11:51 AM

I won't get into the OS X roots discussion, cause I know diddly about Unix and its variants.
I do know I have a 1yr old Dell PIII-500 running NT4 SP5 and it's just fine for surfing, e-mail and as an answering machine. It pukes in Photoshop.
I do my work on a 6yr old PM8500/G3-454 I brought in from home.
At home I have a DP 500, both Macs are on 9.1. OS X is loaded on the DP but I don't use it. Still too slow.

I'm with Cipher on this: <I'll stick with OS9, and hope that OSX gets decent.>

Windoze Sux

------------------

Macintosh
Banned
May 13, 2001, 11:55 AM

You know that Apple is not even off the ground? The company is basically 5 years old. 1997 Jobs comes back = Apple begins again. Stay and wait for what great things are to come. I hope you realize that wintel is a lost cause I have been there. I almost cry when I think of how good things are going to get. If you stay you will see that in a few short months maybe years that Apple will shine as the coveted Tech Company. Please consider what you are doing,Apple needs you and by just using their OS you help ensuring an Apple presence in the future. It is Apple that Microsoft is paranoid about,a small company that took 5 years and went from bankrupt to unstoppable progression. YOU WILL MISS A LOT!

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2001, 12:34 PM

It would benefit a lot of people if they study the history of the NeXTstep OS (not the company NeXT, another soap-opera). They will see a very similar development of that OS as this one, and look at how well that turned out. That is why I'm not worried. OS X has plenty of problems and issues and room for improvement. But condemning what is, despite what one might conclude from its Mac OS and NeXT heritage, a 1.0 release is simply not showing perspective or rationality.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 01:30 PM

Lots of WindowsXP misinformation flowing freely around this site.

To people that know Windows, you look rather unintelligent.
*empty space*

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 03:45 PM

i wonder if we will miss more mac loyalists coz migration to OSX is a bit of a bottleneck. will apple keep a 2 OS approach and continue to offer os9 upgrades as a classic OS? may make sense too commercially isnt it?
FP
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
May 13, 2001, 04:20 PM

I believe Apple will keep OS9 until they drop their G3-powered lineup.
*empty space*

Forum Links
Forum Rules