Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Availability of 10.1 in Australia

Availability of 10.1 in Australia
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 12:22 AM

If you have any info on the availability of 10.1 as a full-price boxed set,
update CD or update package for $19.95 can you post it here.

Thanks - Michael

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: mmurray ]

Issac Osis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2001, 12:51 AM

go to the australian apple store, it's 29.95
Brevity is the soul of
wit.

Sam Venning
Sep 26, 2001, 01:43 AM

For MacOS 10.1 ordering and availability details in Australia check out
http://www.apple.com.au/macosx/uptodate/

Additional note: I placed an ordered with Apple Australia over the phone this afternoon.
$29.95 express post. (Expected early-mid next week) or $19.95 ordinary post.
This includes the MacOS 10.1 upgrade CD-ROM, the MacOS 9.2.1 upgrade CD and the MacOS 10 Developer CD-ROM (not sure if this is the same one that shipped with MacOS 10.0.x or a newer version).

The guy who took my order said that maybe, just maybe, some of the Apple Resellers will have the MacOS 10.1 update CD to give away mid-next week. The give away will ONLY be for those who can prove they already have a legit copy of MacOS X (purchased or it came with a recent hardware purchase). The reseller give-away DOES NOT include the MacOS 9.2.1 upgrade CD-ROM or the Mac OS X Developer CD-ROM. If you want the MacOS 9.2.1 upgrade CD-ROM or the MacOS X Developer CD-ROM you will have to order it and pay the upgrade fee.

Happy upgrading!

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Sam Venning ]

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 02:07 AM

Have pity on the poor Apple employees in Australia.

I called Customer service today and the guy who answered the phone said they had only received ONE copy of 10.1, and that Apple USA hadn't told them anything about the launch this morning.

The one copy that's been received was installed on ONE computer, where they were all testing out the DVD player.

Someone should send them a copy of Carracho X
Computer thez nohhh...

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2001, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Issac Osis:
<STRONG>go to the australian apple store, it's 29.95</STRONG>
I didn't know you were a kiwi, Issac!

From http://www.apple.com.au/macosx/uptodate/

"Customers who purchased a Mac OS X retail software package or a Macintosh computer that came with Mac OS X can upgrade to Mac OS X v 10.1 for AUST $19.95* and NZ$29.95*. Just complete and send in the Australian Full Upgrade Order Form and New Zealand Full Upgrade Order Form (Adobe Acrobat PDF), along with a copy of your itemised sales receipt or an original Software Proof-of-Purchase Coupon 1, 2, or 3 for Mac OS X and payment."

A$19.95... for something US buyers pay US$19.95 for?

That's a pretty good exchange rate!

Hey, Apple Aust, I'd like to buy a dual 800 QuickSilver for A$3,495.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 02:27 AM

I just ordered from the Apple Store i Sudney over the phone for $19.95. They claim they will ship it Friday ETA Adelaide Monday or Tuesday. They also said local retailers may have it Monday and are offering to give it away on production of the original receipt for OSX. The apple store didn't want proof of anything as its an update CD so you can't use it unless you have X installed. So maybe Monday I will ring around locally in Adelaide as well.

-- Michael

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: mmurray ]

curmi
Senior User
Sep 26, 2001, 03:36 AM

The weird thing is that early this morning I checked the apple site and the Australian upgrade price was $40. Now it is $19.95.

Can someone who has spoken to a reseller post here as to whether we will be able to get this through them rather than through Apple (I don't fancy a 6 week wait for OSX 10.1, I want it ASAP).

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by curmi:
<STRONG>The weird thing is that early this morning I checked the apple site and the Australian upgrade price was $40. Now it is $19.95.

Can someone who has spoken to a reseller post here as to whether we will be able to get this through them rather than through Apple (I don't fancy a 6 week wait for OSX 10.1, I want it ASAP).</STRONG>
The resellers in Adelaide (well one of them!) say that they will get supplies next week about Tuesday. It will be a set of update only CD's and they will give them to you on production of a receipt or sell them for $20. This is also what Apple Australia told me will happen.

Ring some of the big resellers and see waht they say.

Michael

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2001, 04:39 AM

At leat Australia has an upgrade programe page & local PDF. The update for the UK still links to the US & Canada Only upgrade programe page.

coke::Ti
Sep 26, 2001, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by mmurray:
<STRONG>

The resellers in Adelaide (well one of them!) say that they will get supplies next week about Tuesday. It will be a set of update only CD's and they will give them to you on production of a receipt or sell them for $20. This is also what Apple Australia told me will happen.

Ring some of the big resellers and see waht they say.

Michael</STRONG>
Can the retailers actually do that? I meaqn selling OS 10.1 update CDs for $20 if you can not produce software update coupon/receipt ? Apple charges the $19.95 for shipping and handling, not for people who are excluded from the up-to-date program.

I visited my local NextByte store here in Adelaide late this afernoon, talked to the manager and was told that they have not heard anything regarding handing out updates through the Apple Store, and the full version won't be here until sometimes next month.

I just can't wait for OS 10.1 any longer and have already filled in the up-to-date form! But on the form, it says allow 6-12 weeks for delivery! So mmurray give us a buzz when you get urs! Thanks.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by coke::Ti:
<STRONG>

Can the retailers actually do that? I meaqn selling OS 10.1 update CDs for $20 if you can not produce software update coupon/receipt ? Apple charges the $19.95 for shipping and handling, not for people who are excluded from the up-to-date program.

I visited my local NextByte store here in Adelaide late this afernoon, talked to the manager and was told that they have not heard anything regarding handing out updates through the Apple Store, and the full version won't be here until sometimes next month.

I just can't wait for OS 10.1 any longer and have already filled in the up-to-date form! But on the form, it says allow 6-12 weeks for delivery! So mmurray give us a buzz when you get urs! Thanks.</STRONG>
Yeah, I posted off my coupon today too, so I'll post it here when I receive the CD. And I'll try my local reseller on Saturday & Monday (just to be sure!)

Can't wait!
Computer thez nohhh...

Borborygmi
Sep 26, 2001, 07:53 AM

Hey, I'm in Adelaide too. I called Next Byte, and they had no word on getting in any upgrade CD's. At least it's only $20 AUD, though. I thought it would be more like $50 AUD considering the US price. All these Adelaide OS X users should get together and distribute these FREE updates as soon as we get them. 6-12 weeks is too long to wait after waiting for so long already.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2001, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Borborygmi:
<STRONG>Hey, I'm in Adelaide too. I called Next Byte, and they had no word on getting in any upgrade CD's. At least it's only $20 AUD, though. I thought it would be more like $50 AUD considering the US price. All these Adelaide OS X users should get together and distribute these FREE updates as soon as we get them. 6-12 weeks is too long to wait after waiting for so long already.</STRONG>
Yep ditto. I don't know what NextByte's problem is. It was MacMedia
told me they would have them Tuesday.

Michael

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2001, 09:15 AM

I was impressed by the AppleStore for Education in the UK - they are sending out free updates to anyone who presents them with a Mac OS X WebOrder number.

AJ

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 02:40 AM

Well its Tuesday and it doesn't seem to have made it to Adelaide.
Nothing in my mail and nothing at the campus NextByte.

I heard it made it to Melbourne yesterday - it was a public holiday
in SA and NSW on Monday.

Anyone else have better luck ?

Michael

lythari
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 04:08 AM

I called up Apple Australia today and asked about the full upgrade. Seems that they've run out of the initial shipment already but the next one is due in tomorrow. The representative I talked to said those who have placed orders already may get the CD's by Friday.

So if you're willing to pay $19.95, you might get the CD's direct from Apple before they appear in the stores.

lythari
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 04:11 AM

Double post.

Is anyone else having problems with the macnn forums? Or is it just Telstra and their damaged cable?

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: lythari ]

Oct 2, 2001, 05:05 AM

<STRONG>Well its Tuesday and it doesn't seem to have made it to Adelaide.
Nothing in my mail and nothing at the campus NextByte.

I heard it made it to Melbourne yesterday - it was a public holiday
in SA and NSW on Monday.

Anyone else have better luck ?

Michael</STRONG>
No sign of OS 10.1 in my mail box here in Adelaide
I drove to NextByte on Glen Osmond Rd this afternoon, and the people there told me that they are expecting to get OS 10.1 tomorrow (Wed). I hope my copy is in the same batch as theirs.

Why did Monday have to be a public holiday! and why is weekend 2 days not just 1 day?

Its going to be another long night for me ....

Oct 2, 2001, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by lythari:
<STRONG>Double post.

Is anyone else having problems with the macnn forums? Or is it just Telstra and their damaged cable?

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: lythari ]</STRONG>
I have been experiencing problem getting into the forums in the past 2-3 days. I believe its MacNN's problem and they did put up a notice on their main page early today.

Oct 2, 2001, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by lythari:
<STRONG>Double post.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: lythari ]</STRONG>
I have been experiencing problem getting into the forums in the past 2-3 days. I believe its MacNN's problem and they did put up a notice on their main page early today.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 06:02 AM

<STRONG>

No sign of OS 10.1 in my mail box here in Adelaide
I drove to NextByte on Glen Osmond Rd this afternoon, and the people there told me that they are expecting to get OS 10.1 tomorrow (Wed). I hope my copy is in the same batch as theirs.

Why did Monday have to be a public holiday! and why is weekend 2 days not just 1 day?

Its going to be another long night for me .... </STRONG>
Well I hope it gets here by Friday. I'm off to the Grampians next week
and somehow I don't think Halls Gap (or even Stawell) has a
mac reseller ! On the other hand maybe I don't need a computer
while I am there :-)

Michael

PS. I guess this is one of the many benefits of Jeff Kennetts reign. I think he did away with lots of public holiday's so Melbourne got the upgrade on Monday.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 08:58 PM

No sign of the CD from Apple. I don't even think they've touched my credit card yet. -sigh-

None of the Melbourne stores seem to know WHEN it's getting in. Maybe Friday

What's the holdup??? Has ANYONE in Australia (legally!) received a 10.1 update yet?
Computer thez nohhh...

Borborygmi
Oct 2, 2001, 10:21 PM

Anybody who wants it in Adelaide, get in touch with me:

[email protected]

08-8276-1548

I received it just minutes ago and will gladly burn CD's for anyone who would like them

Ciao,
-J

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>No sign of the CD from Apple. I don't even think they've touched my credit card yet. -sigh-

None of the Melbourne stores seem to know WHEN it's getting in. Maybe Friday

What's the holdup??? Has ANYONE in Australia (legally!) received a 10.1 update yet?</STRONG>
Nearly. Apple say it has shipped yesterday and it has been charged to my Mastercard ($19.95). They said they were `sorry if they raised
expectations'. I think this translates as sorry they told me it would be here Tuesday and it wasn't !

We will see what tomorrow brings !

Michael

GhOST51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 02:49 AM

Hi

I called my local AppleCentre store here in the West and they said that they received confirmation from Apple that their shipment was sent today (Wed 3rd). They expect them to arrive hopefully Friday, probably Monday. However, they are only receiving a fraction of their allocated quantity in this initial shipment (whatever that is?). Hopefully, those at the top of the list get theirs first (coz I'm one of them).javascript: x()

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 04:07 AM

WAAYYY HAAAYYY!!!!!

Happily, I'm going to eat my words from before. Put in a quick call to Computers Now in Melbourne and they DID have a copy of the update for me, but only because I was one of their customers.

So here I am a couple of hours later, with all my problems with Networking, Printing and Crashing in Classic gone, a MUCH faster iMac 600 ('tho not nearly as fast as you lucky G4 owners) and feeling quite chuffed.

10.1 didn't even falter while I was printing from Quark, playing an mp3 on iTunes with visuals on, and playing the new Lord of the Rings promo at full-screen size. (I do have 256Mb if that helps?!?)

Anyways - hope you get your update soon mmurray

Cheers
Computer thez nohhh...

ewhan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 04:39 AM

I live in Sydney. I got my CDs delivered early this morning (Wednesday) after posting my coupon last Wednesday. I'm sure I would have received the CDs a day earlier but for the public holiday on Monday.

My package was delivered by Australia Post (parcel post), not couriers.

As far as I know, Apple posted the first batch on Friday. I was originally told I'd get mine on Tuesday, but the public holiday must have delayed it by an extra day.

Oct 3, 2001, 05:20 AM

Still no OS X update kit in my letter box.... Apple charged my credit card last Friday.

I rang NextByte at 1PM, no CDs yet and was told to ring back later today or tomorrow to check again.

I rang again at 2:30PM, and was told the initial shipment has all but gone and the next shipment will be here mid next week. Great, thanks for looking after me, I bought 3 Macs from them in the past 6 years: 7600, G3 and a PowerBook G4, not to mention printers, speakers and just recently a firewire CD burner.

I am going to give Apple store a call tomorrow to check the status of my goods.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 06:37 AM

<STRONG>Still no OS X update kit in my letter box.... Apple charged my credit card last Friday.

I rang NextByte at 1PM, no CDs yet and was told to ring back later today or tomorrow to check again.

I rang again at 2:30PM, and was told the initial shipment has all but gone and the next shipment will be here mid next week. Great, thanks for looking after me, I bought 3 Macs from them in the past 6 years: 7600, G3 and a PowerBook G4, not to mention printers, speakers and just recently a firewire CD burner.

I am going to give Apple store a call tomorrow to check the status of my goods.</STRONG>
Ah thats interesting. The NextByte at the Uni hasn't seen anything. I wonder if they didn't get there from the Glen Osmond Store ?

I don't mind the bit of a wait but the short supply is pretty silly. They must know how many OSX they have sold - thats how many updates they need! In the US there are CompUSA stores burning their own.

Michael

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 06:39 AM

<STRONG>Still no OS X update kit in my letter box.... Apple charged my credit card last Friday.

I am going to give Apple store a call tomorrow to check the status of my goods.</STRONG>
Ah thats interesting. The NextByte at the Uni hasn't seen anything. I wonder if they didn't get there from the Glen Osmond Store ?

I don't mind the bit of a wait but the short supply is pretty silly. They must know how many OSX they have sold - thats how many updates they need! In the US there are CompUSA stores burning their own.

Michael

Sam Venning
Oct 3, 2001, 10:06 AM

MacOS 10.1 arrived ExpressPost from Apple Australia today (I paid $29.95 for ExpressPost). I'm in Melbourne. I did a back up of my Mac, initialised the HD, did a clean install of MacOS 9.1, upgraded to MacOS 9.2.1, and updated MacOS X (to 10.1). Sweet! Everything working perfectly.

Oh no. I can't print to my Epson Stylus Photo 890! I thought that was going to be fixed with MacOS 10.1... on closer inspection "No". The Epson web site explains... now I'm mad!

OK time to give Epson a hard time!

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 09:49 PM

I ordered the upgrade through the Apple Store on Wednesday 3/10, and the extremely helpful (and knowledgeable) fellow - Savak (not sure about the spelling), told me I should have it by next Wednesday. Probably earlier than that, but he didn't want to get my hopes up. Under-promise and over-deliver, as the saying goes...

Anyway, I rang them back today after reading that someone else was able to get their copy Express-posted for an extra $10. I was told it was a bit difficult to change my order, but they were going to express-post it to me anyway - and were filling out the envelope details as we spoke - so I should have it tomorrow.

Hooray! There goes some of the weekend.

I have bought 5 Macs in my time (LC475, Quadra 7200CD, PBG3WallSt292, iMac400DV, PBG4Ti). Every one of them has been from a different reseller, and every time there has been some stuff-up. Next time I buy it will be direct from the Apple Store.

cheers
RET
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 09:49 PM

dbl-post

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: ret ]
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 09:58 PM

would you believe triple?

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 09:59 PM

bugger

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 10:00 PM

doh!

ret
Oct 3, 2001, 10:01 PM

What is wrong with these poxy boards? I only attempted to post that message twice, after getting connection failed messages. Anyway I hope it was worth reading 5 times. Sheesh.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2001, 10:13 PM

Wow 5 posts ! ! If you have the time its handy to go back and
edit them all to nothing.

Yep I wish I knew about the express post last week when I ordered.
Mine shipped Tuesday and nothing turned up here today - Thursday. NextByte on Campus had 4 apparently but they are spoken for !

Michael

Oct 3, 2001, 11:22 PM

<STRONG>Wow 5 posts ! ! If you have the time its handy to go back and
edit them all to nothing.

Yep I wish I knew about the express post last week when I ordered.
Mine shipped Tuesday and nothing turned up here today - Thursday. NextByte on Campus had 4 apparently but they are spoken for !

Michael</STRONG>
mmurray, looks like we share the same fate in regard to OS 10.1 upgrade. The post man has came and gone and left in my letter box 2 phone bills

I rang Apple Store to check my order, apparently my order was sent out on the 2nd(Tue), so it should have arrived today(?) Maybe the Ansett collapse has something to do with the delay, but hopefully it will be here tomorrow. On the brighter side, if it doesn't come tomorrow, I will get a chance to do my tax return.

I wish I knew about the express post too.

Crazy ebot
Oct 4, 2001, 01:25 AM

<STRONG>
On the brighter side, if it doesn't come tomorrow, I will get a chance to do my tax return.
</STRONG>
Guys, it's worth the wait. I wasn't sure if I could honestly recommend to my office using the mac platform in the future ... now I can.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Crazy ebot ]

<Bruce>
Oct 4, 2001, 01:27 AM

I sent my voucher in last week, and I called the Apple store today. It just so happens that the Customer Care rep that I spoke to was the guy who forfilled my order ! He said that it would be picked up by Aust. Post this afternoon (from Frenches Forrest) and should be delivered tomorrow. So here's hoping

Oct 8, 2001, 11:26 PM

This is old news.

I got the upgrade pack very early Friday morning(5th) at about 8AM, it wasn't delivered by Aus Post but Jiffy.

And to my surprise, the pack included a full OS 9.2.1 CD, not the upgrade.

Now OS 10.1 is my primary system on my Ti Book. I love it, all my hardware still works, even my old Apple Laser Writer 4/600 via Apple talk.

Everything is significantly faster than 10.0.3, except launching Terminal. There seems to be a decoding problem in Quicktime with mpeg1, CPU usage jumps right up to 100%. While playing divx or DVD, CPU usage is only 40%-80%.

My Powerbook hasn't crashed for 3 days now. That aspect alone is truely amazing!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules