Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.1 Should one bother?

OS X 10.1 Should one bother?
DNA man
Senior User
Oct 1, 2001, 09:49 AM

I had made an order for OSX last week. It would be the first venture for me into OSX. From reading the forum (and others), it seems like OSX is still not up to what it should have been. Lack of printer driver, not everything working yet under the newest OSX. Well, Apple have informed me that I may have to wait longer for OSX 10.1. Now I'm thinking I will just cancel and wait and see what OSX 10.2 has to offer. At the end of the day. My Mac works fine under good olde OS9. Why bother to make move to OSX now? Plus I will have hassle to reformat HD etc, blah, blah.

DNA man

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 09:54 AM

Right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I love OSX 10.1 but if you don't need it don't bother.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by DNA man:
<STRONG>I had made an order for OSX last week. It would be the first venture for me into OSX. From reading the forum (and others), it seems like OSX is still not up to what it should have been. Lack of printer driver, not everything working yet under the newest OSX. Well, Apple have informed me that I may have to wait longer for OSX 10.1. Now I'm thinking I will just cancel and wait and see what OSX 10.2 has to offer. At the end of the day. My Mac works fine under good olde OS9. Why bother to make move to OSX now? Plus I will have hassle to reformat HD etc, blah, blah.

DNA man</STRONG>
The printer drivers are still churning along. And there are a lot of drivers with 10.1. Unless you have an "old" printer (like 2 years old or older) you SHOULD be fine. Applications are continuing to be ported over and there are many already including games like Quake III and Alice, prosumer apps like Macromedia Freehand and Corel Bryce, and Lightwave, consumer apps like AppleWorks (soon Office may I add) and multiple browsers. Other applications can run in the Classic enviroment. Trust me, you'll like 10.1. Stable, Fast, etc. I saw you have a DVD iMac, you'll like the fact you can do WHATEVER you want as long as it's not EXTREMLY processor intensive and be able to watch your DVDs smoothly and soundly. And finally, since your hard drive is probably already formated for HFS Extended (your iMac comes originally formated HFS Extended) you shouldn't have to reformat.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 10:41 PM

If your machine is not mission critical I say go for it. OS 10.1 really is nothing short of amazing! It's funny, all this bitching about the DVD player. I thought watching DVDs on your computer was the dumbest thing ever. I never used my DVD player in OS9, it was just too slow and buggy.

Here I am watching The Wrath of Khan while I surf the web .

Other than the DVD player I'm amazed at how well the system multi-tasks and how fast all the applications launch. The stability of OSX is unbelievable. I had uptimes of 30+ days in 10.04. The stability of 10.1 is still in question (I've had 2 finder freezes which required hard reboot ).

Go for it, remember you can always boot right back into 9.2.1 if you don't like it.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

<marky mark>
Oct 1, 2001, 10:48 PM

if anyone see this, please post a new topic if you feel its worthy

(MacNN can't find m login/password for soem reason)

I have decided to start e-mailng for more OS X support,
for the products/hardware I have that currently aren't working in OSX here are the e-mail addresses of the support department.

EPSON [email protected]
UMAX [email protected]
REAL [email protected]

IMy products (that I can think of right now) are an Epson SC 640, my Umax 4000, and Real Player Plus 8.0

This does not include drivers/programs that are set to come out soon (ones that have a hard date set)

If anyone lists what they need suupported I will gladly e-mail (or call) support for you as well....

hopefully soon all these drivers/programs will start rolling out, and if not, ill know who not to buy from again.

thanks for your time!

-Mark Walberg-

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2001, 10:55 PM

If you're waiting for it to be perfect, you'll die first. At least your inheritors will be $130 richer.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
<STRONG>If your machine is not mission critical I say go for it. OS 10.1 really is nothing short of amazing! It's funny, all this bitching about the DVD player. I thought watching DVDs on your computer was the dumbest thing ever. I never used my DVD player in OS9, it was just too slow and buggy.</STRONG>
Yes, but not for laptop users and students with not enough room for a TV and a computer.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2001, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>

Yes, but not for laptop users and students with not enough room for a TV and a computer.</STRONG>
Yeah I meant more for desktops. It seems like a must for a laptop, especially if you travel alot.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2001, 02:04 AM

I watch DVDs on my desktop all the time. As a student, it's cheaper to use my Mac than it is to buy a TV and a DVD player. I don't really have any need for a TV other than for watching movies.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2001, 08:27 AM

OS X 10.1 Should one bother?
In a word: yes.
In two words: hell yes.

The speed boost alone is more than worth it. Stability gains are nice too, but the speed is awesome. It's still not quite as responsive as OS9, but it already beats the pants off of OS9 in app launching speed, and even app running speed is now at OS9 levels for most stuff.

Yeah, there are still some things I'm waiting for. Four things, actually, only one of which isn't a driver issue:
  • A DVD player that's usable for anime (menus and subtitles are positioned quite badly in the current one, rendering them unusable in some situations).
  • SCSI CD-R support. If this means buying Toast, so be it.
  • More printer support from Epson.
  • Drivers for my Gravis Gamepad Pro.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

<guest>
Oct 2, 2001, 09:20 PM

Wow Millennium--TEN duplicate posts?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2001, 09:40 PM

I am impressed. I've seen 4 before, but 10 takes the cake. It seems this has happened in other threads recently, so maybe this has something to do with the server upgrades.

F-bacher

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2001, 10:10 PM

Defintaly go for 10.1, it's great.

<eddie vedder>
Oct 2, 2001, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Norm1985:
<STRONG>

The printer drivers are still churning along. And there are a lot of drivers with 10.1. Unless you have an "old" printer (like 2 years old or older) you SHOULD be fine. </STRONG>
uh... no. unless you have a regular cheap piece of crap consumer printer from last year you likely won't have a supported printer. No epson photo printers are supported, no new epson printers from the last year are supported and no older Epson printers, 2 years old, are supported except the 740. HP doesn't support their pro printers and canon is well canon.

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2001, 12:41 AM

I'd say if you have anything equal to, or faster then a 400mhz g3, then go for it.

If you have a 233mhz iMac like me, I'd say get a new computer 10.1 is pretty damn nice on my iMac, but its still a bit slow. Some things will never be fast enough on my iMac..

Ben

Gilsch2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 01:48 AM

LOL LOL...10 double posts....it's OS 10 after all

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 01:54 AM

he printer drivers are still churning along. And there are a lot of drivers with 10.1. Unless you have an "old" printer (like 2 years old or older) you SHOULD be fine.
wrong, To reiterate, my epson 1160 wide format, a "prosumer" level printer doesn't work under X. as far as i know only the 740 and its derivatives work with X. Makes using apps like th word test drive for naught eh?
(and illustrator beta, and freehand, and just about everything outside of entourage and mozilla...)

nick

<me>
Oct 3, 2001, 02:20 AM

My 'prosumer' Epson Photo Stylus 1280 works beautifully under 10.1. Plus, you unsupported printer can always print from classic...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2001, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by &lt;guest&gt;:
<STRONG>Wow Millennium--TEN duplicate posts? </STRONG>
Do you have to be moderator in order to do THAT

What's you secret ???

So far,
-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2001, 04:21 AM

See. I can only do double posts

-t

lythari
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 05:02 AM

Someone should keep track of what the record for multiple posts is

I doubt that anyone will be beating Millenium's record soon

BTW Millenium, not sure what you're talking wrt anime. I've seen quite a number of anime titles on my pismo 500 and I haven't had any problems with the sub-titles or menus.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 05:08 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
<STRONG>

Do you have to be moderator in order to do THAT

What's your secret ???

So far,
-t</STRONG>
actually, yes you do
moderators have no flood control
and i shouldn't say too much, but trust me�10 is no where near the record
anyway, don't mind me. i'm just cleaning this thread up a bit...

sniffer
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2001, 07:36 AM

Haven't seen any sign of support of my One year old Epson SC 670.
Yes, I know it's one of those non-expencive non-pro printers, that's true, but in the other hand, there are many many many owners of these non-pro printers. :o

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2001, 09:01 AM

Thanks, Elzinat

Allow me to apologize for what I'm sure is going to be remembered here for some time: the infamous 10-post. While I doubt it's the longest string of dupes that's ever been posted here, I'd guess it's probably the longest that was done accidentally.

The forum's speeds, as we all know, have been really bad lately. As a result, coupled with my foolish use of Reload when I thought the post had not gone through (and several times it hasn't), left me with the 10-post.

This would not have been so bad, but the forums were so slow that I couldn't get back into the thread to clean up after myself. That's why Elzinat had to come in and help. Sorry about that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

DNA man  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2001, 02:35 PM

I have just got in from work and there was a nice box waiting there from Apple. I have OSX at last , well on CD-ROM at the minute.
Before I jump in and install I have some advice to ask on the ways to install X......

1.Is it better to update to 9.2 (I'm running 9.04 now) and then install the OSX on the same disk (one way according to the info sent)...seems least hassle.
&lt;font color = red&gt;OR &lt;/font&gt;
2.Install OSX on a different partition etc?

What are the pros and cons of doing it these ways? Apple doesn't mention anything in their advice section.

Any advice would be most welcome. I have not used/ installed any of the previous OSX precusors and I would like to keep 9.04 to be able to boot back to since I heard the Office 98 hates 9.2. I have a Pismo BTW.

Many thanks for any advice,

DNA man

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: DNA man ]

Richard Clark
Senior User
Oct 3, 2001, 03:56 PM

DNA Man -

Yes 10.1 is worth it. My boss just installed it on his G3 BW and it moves along really well. It's acting like a G4 speed wise at times. My machine is next - can't wait .

9.2.1 is required if you are going to use classic. 9.1 started the process of getting the OS ready for classic. 9.2.1 made the changes so 10.1 can access Classic.

Regarding partitions - I highly recommend paritioning the drive so you have a 9.2.1 and 10.1 volume. Here are some reasons:

1. If 10 does not boot or you have problems you will be able to boot back into 9. If 9 and 10 are on the same partition you probabbly won't be able to do it. If you do run into problems with partitions hold down the option key and it will show you the bootable volumes. Choose from there.

2. Won't have to worry about what is 9 and 10 system files, etc. This may be a no brainer for those that aren't as experienced. It will avoid accidental deletion of files. And will keep the OS X files organized properly.

One side note - if you do delete something that you shouldn't have in X you can use the install disc. It will scan and re-install the deleted file.

Due to time I need to get going. These are the main reasons. Hopefully that will help. Best of luck to ya!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2001, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by &lt;me&gt;:
<STRONG>My 'prosumer' Epson Photo Stylus 1280 works beautifully under 10.1. Plus, you unsupported printer can always print from classic...</STRONG>
really??? I thought the new epson drivers weren't out yet. Will the 1270 work?

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

DNA man  (op)
Senior User
Oct 3, 2001, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by Richard Clark:
<STRONG>DNA Man -

Yes 10.1 is worth it. My boss just installed it on his G3 BW and it moves along really well. It's acting like a G4 speed wise at times. My machine is next - can't wait .

9.2.1 is required if you are going to use classic. 9.1 started the process of getting the OS ready for classic. 9.2.1 made the changes so 10.1 can access Classic.

Regarding partitions - I highly recommend paritioning the drive so you have a 9.2.1 and 10.1 volume. Here are some reasons:

1. If 10 does not boot or you have problems you will be able to boot back into 9. If 9 and 10 are on the same partition you probabbly won't be able to do it. If you do run into problems with partitions hold down the option key and it will show you the bootable volumes. Choose from there.

2. Won't have to worry about what is 9 and 10 system files, etc. This may be a no brainer for those that aren't as experienced. It will avoid accidental deletion of files. And will keep the OS X files organized properly.

One side note - if you do delete something that you shouldn't have in X you can use the install disc. It will scan and re-install the deleted file.

Due to time I need to get going. These are the main reasons. Hopefully that will help. Best of luck to ya!</STRONG>
Thanks for your time and advice. I appreciate it. I have a quick question. Do I have to erase my HD (Pismo, extended HD) to make a partition and then instal OSX?

tmikkelsen
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2001, 07:30 PM

All my Macs are running X except my B&W G3 which will be staying in 9 untill Epson releases drivers for my 9500 +7500. I'll also be waiting to print to my Piezography printer as well. I have to wait for Photoshop and the plug-in for that one

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: tmikkelsen ]
Thomas
--
49,000 Units and counting...

blog.noetech.com

DNA man  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2001, 04:06 PM

I did bother and I love OSX.1 It's tops!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules