Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My First Mac---A few questionns

My First Mac---A few questionns
charlespsu
Mar 27, 2005, 11:51 AM

Hello All.

I purchased my very first mac last week, a 12" 1.5ghz Powerbook. Since this is my first mac, I had a few questions.

1. When not in use, I have this on my desk plugged in to power and just closed... I do not shutdown. Any issues with keeping this thing on for, well, all the time? I'm assuming it goes into sleep mode when closed?

2. Will I notice a performance jump if I upgrade my memory from 512mb to 1.25gb? All I do is surf, email, and iTunes. This is certainly not slow, but I wondered if I could avoid all use of the beachball.

Thanks for any assistance on the above....I freaking love this thing!

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2005, 12:23 PM

1) No problems with this setup!
2) Yes! Definitely get more RAM!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 01:19 PM

I run my powerbook for months (a 4 years old TiPB 400 upgraded to 1 GB RAM, and 80 GB HD 5,400rpm).

Nice buy,
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

superfula
Senior User
Mar 27, 2005, 03:06 PM

If you're only doing basic stuff, you'll notice an increase in speed, but certainly not anything extraordinary

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 04:29 PM

The spinning beachball is everyone's favorite eyecandy. (Sarcasm)

Don't let it bug you, it's the same as the hourglass on Windows. It just gives the impression that the computer has given up trying but it's not the case, it's just computing.
More ram will reduce the visual of this beach toy but it won't go away. I was at the Apple retail store yesterday playing with a dual 2.5Ghz PowerMac with 2.5GB ram and while it opened apps with near speed of light, the beachball appeared on uncached applications upon opening.
I like the old stopwatch better. It didn't give the "out of energy" impression that the beachball does.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Mar 27, 2005, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by hldan:

I like the old stopwatch better. It didn't give the "out of energy" impression that the beachball does.
, so do I!

I leave my powerbook on for weeks. No problem. Only on battery it will not last long even if the powerbook sleeps (it does when the lid is closed).

If you need more memory can be measured. Get DoINeedMoreMemory and find out yourself http://www.hillmanminx.net/dinmm/
Very useful application.

Generally from 256 to 512 will be a boost. From 512 to 768 will be noticible most of the time. More... then you have to have multiple applications open at the same time or fat photoshop images in memory or things like that.

But try the application. It will tell you - depending on your working style - how much more you need.

Tetsuo
Mar 27, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by I was David B.:
If you need more memory can be measured. Get DoINeedMoreMemory and find out yourself http://www.hillmanminx.net/dinmm/
Very useful application.
That's an awesome program, thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules