Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage or OS X Mail for e-mail

Entourage or OS X Mail for e-mail
coolmac
Oct 19, 2002, 04:23 PM

Which do you use?

ambush
Banned
Oct 19, 2002, 04:47 PM

Mail.app, of course!

Green Leaf
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2002, 05:04 PM

Entourage is better
but i try to support Apple and use Mail.app

this is a common theme among apple users
we are very loyal

I just hope Apple enhances Mail, iCal and some other programs.
I feel like i'm being left behind in the times

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 19, 2002, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Green Leaf:
Entourage is better

we are very loyal

You are, all the other trolls are finding better things to do then troll. Your tongue in cheek Apple support is so transparent.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Oct 19, 2002, 05:32 PM

I use Mail. It does what I need; Entourage is real overkill for how I do email. I don't really need a calendar, newsgroups, etc, and I prefer the Mail.app GUI. Now that you can have multiple criteria in rules and there's junkmail filtering, there are fewer and fewer reasons not to use Mail. (If you need a calendar and stuff, use Entourage.)

I dunno -- I find Mail faster and cleaner, and I like being able to use Services and stuff. Try them both out, use what you like. Entourage does so much more that they're not really that easily comparable.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 05:37 PM

Used to use Outlook Express in OS 9, then Entourage once I bought Office X. However, near the end of iTools, I set up a mail server on my G3. I created a self-signed cert for use with my imap server, which Entourage choked on. So I looked up how to convert the cert and import it into IE so Entourage would work, and did that, and it's still broken. So I said **** it and used Mail.app. No problems with the certificate there. And Mail is much better than when I remember trying it in 10.0...

--Josh

raskol
Banned
Oct 19, 2002, 06:27 PM

Unfortunately Entourage.

Mail.app never worked for me. I couldn't get all my accounts to work so I gave up. I am sure Entourage will screw me over eventually but has worked fine so far.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2002, 06:32 PM

mail.app has come a long way. back in the day, folks used to call it mail.crap. heheh. I like mail.app, but use entourage. with every new release, I reevaluate things, and look forward to the next major mail.app update.

Buck_W
Senior User
Oct 19, 2002, 07:49 PM

I switched over to Entourage because of the problems (while using mail) associated with sending attachments to PC users. They would get my attachment, plus a resource fork or something. Apple needs to fix that.

Entourage has been pretty cool, but now none of the links that I send show up as hyperlinks on the receiver's end (both Mac and PC users). I've made sure the HTML formatting is on, but that hasn't made a difference. I don't know what the deal is.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 08:09 PM

mail.app continually craps out anytime I try to import my ~10000+ email archives, so its pointless for me. Entourage however, handles it like a champ, AND keeps up like a champ with the insane amount of mail that comes to me per day, without a hitch. The calendar and notifications features are great, the insanely great address book all whup ass for me. Mail.app just can't keep up with my needs, however for those with much simpler needs, I'm sure it great.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 10:58 PM

I moved to mail because of the new version of AddressBook. Having one central source for my contacts has a lot of possibilities.

I don't believe we will ever see the day that Entourage will use Apples Addressbook as an option. Even if we do, it certainly won't be soon.

Mail has worked out very well for me on my iBook that I use for work. I like that it separates my accounts so easily. I do have a gripe with attachments and hope we will see this fixed with 10.2.2.

Entourage is clearly more mature, but I just like how mail and addressbook look and feel.

snerdini
Senior User
Oct 19, 2002, 11:01 PM

Mail.app junk filter = VERY nice

mrmister
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 03:30 AM

Entourage wins, if you are a power user.

eno
Banned
Oct 20, 2002, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Green Leaf:
Entourage is better

we are very loyal

My thoughts exactly. I would add that Entourage is a bit slow, bloated and unstable. It doesn't have that snappy "Cocoa feel" that Mail does. But as far as features go, Entourage wins. It's only with 10.2's Mail.app that Apple's started to come close to Entourage.

And iCal? What a joke. The Entourage calendar carps all over it. The new Address Book? Regrettably, I must say the same about this as I've had to say about other Apple apps: nice idea; even pretty on the eye; but it's nothing but DOG slow and some of the UI quirks are so bad they would make an MS Windows UI designer cry. And features? Where are they?

At least if MS apps become slow and bloated it's because of FEATURES. Apple doesn't seem to need those to make their apps slow as treacle. Sometimes I just can't understand why they are so bad.

Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2002, 06:58 AM

I used entourage in 10.1 but moved to mail in Jag.

No problem with either now, (mail was very poor).

It is clear that the whole system is going to be more tightly intergrated in the near future, address book, iCal, iSync etc. I wanted to get over the learning curve early. Need to sort out smtp connection stability, (get that Apple?)

my 2p

Cellery
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 11:37 AM

Mail was good, but when I bought Office v. X I figured I might as well use Entourage. It's stable, has all the features I need (including a non-sluggish calendar), and runs well on my TiBook. This topic would have been good as a poll methinks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules