Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To Those Buying Through Education Store

To Those Buying Through Education Store
RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 07:41 PM

Apple right now is offering $200 off any iPod bought at the same time as a PowerBook or iBook though the Apple Store for Education via a mail-in rebate.

If anyone is about to buy an iBook or a PowerBook through the Apple Store for Education, I would be very thankful if I could 'piggyback' on your purchase by giving you the $69 + tax for a base iPod, and you order the iPod along with the PowerBook. Hopefully my post count, along with my contributions to this forum show that I'm not trying to scam you or anything, and that my request is truly genuine.

If you are interested in helping me out, say so here in this forum, or shoot an email to ryan at ryanberg.net

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I ordered my PowerBook for my Freshman year in college back in the spring, when this deal was not being offered, if that matters to anyone.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 07:51 PM

Yes if I understand this correctly though. You are asking us to sell you our iPod for cheap, and then we wont have an iPod correct. We would have sold it to you for cheap, and yet if we sold it on ebay it would be worth more. So in theory we are losing out on the deal. Tell me if im wrong on this. To me the fact that the deal wasn't available upon your purchase is not your fault, but something you just ahve to deal with. It just so happens that me and so many other students are fortunate enough to have this deal this year. So I would say no to this because in theory we are getting ripped off if I understood correctly. Also I wouldnt do it anyway to much work lol. I would llike you to clear up anything I got wrong though. I probably misunderstood a portion of your post. As far as im concerned if I agreed to do this I wouldnt get anything out of it what so every.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 08:02 PM

Ok when you read between the lines this is a total rip I think this thread should be removed. Who in the world would give up the promotion they got with their laptop purchase like that. In the end you wont have an iPod and he got your iPod that if put on ebay is worth over $300. In the end he is getting the better deal I dont care what his post count is. He can not come back here and say anything that could infact convince anyone that he is not ripping them off. Even if you dont want your iPod and got one for him why would you. I mean think about it he probably had promotions when he got his powerbook. Why give him yours, and plus its worth more on places like ebay. Hopefully a mod will do something here about this.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 08:05 PM

Don't take it so harshly, he's simply asking anyone for anyone kind enough to take part in the deal if they had no intentions of getting the iPod anyway, to give the deal to a fellow MacNN member.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 08:11 PM

I know what you mean, and I think it makes sense. I understand that fully the point is this. What you pay for in that educational deal right is 200 dollars less than what the iPod is worth. If you put it on ebay you would get more money than what you paid because of this deal. So it wouldn't make sense to do this. Also anyone could ask the students to do this for them. I think he should just accept that this deal wasnt around when he bought his powerbook. Just like if someone gives you candy then you have to give everyone else candy. Its hard to express what I mean hear. Another way to see it is tommorow a bunch of other people ask for the same favor. To me its not fair to the student. Its almost taking advantage of the student. I dont want to sound like a mean Ahole here but to me this doesn't seem fair to others. You know what I mean?

What im saying is he is in a postion where he cant get the deal. So many others are in this posistion. It comes accross as not fair to them as well.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 08:14 PM

Dude, calm down...some people prefer common kindness over making money.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 08:19 PM

Think about a student for a minute though. Part-Time Job! The majority of students dont make a lot of money. This is why to me its kind of taking advantage. I am a lifeguard and am paid pretty well. I also swim instruct which pays the same. Still it is a part time job and 200 dollars is a lot to me at this point in my life. Doesn't matter how much I got saved in the bank the point is to a student this is a lot.

Like I said I am calm about this it just doesn't seem right to me thats all. If this deal was applied to all (not just students) then I would be cool with it. I dont know I expressed my opinion already.

I apologize if I come accross mean; This is just my .02 cents on the situation.

To me its like giving a piece of candy to one individual in a room full of 2 year olds. The rest will ask too.

Like I said this is my opinion.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Aug 7, 2003 at 08:24 PM. )

CrazedVW
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 08:57 PM

I tend to agreed with LfGrdMike here although in not so strong a terms.
This guy could just as easily pay whoever the cheap price for the iPod and then turn around and put it on Ebay himself and pocket the difference.
While I seriously doubt this is his intention, the possibility is still there.
(I took advantage of that bundle deal last week when I got my PB. This new iPod rocks compared to my 2nd gen. 10gb one.)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/4GB/500GB/SuperDrive (Mine)
MacBook Pro: 13"/2.26Ghz/2GB/160GB/SuperDrive (Wife's)

jasong
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:10 PM

If I was buying a PB right now and was not planning to take advantage of this offer I would do this for you.

LfGrdMike, he isn't taking advantage of anyone, he is asking. If someone is going to college (making them eligible for this deal) they are smart enough to see the pros and cons of doing this. Just because this offer exists, does not mean everyone will take advantage of it.

Chill out dude.

-- Jason

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:11 PM

I'd like to clear up some misconceptions here, though I do understand where you're coming from. I have no intention to sell the iPod on ebay when I get it. I've been craving one for a long time, and this looks like a good opportunity to get one for cheap if someone buying a new laptop has no intention themselves of buying an iPod.

I do not intend take an iPod away from someone who wanted one, that's not what I'm asking here. I'm simply trying to get a good deal if I can, like all consumers do. And hey, it doesn't hurt to ask right?

And once again - I will not sell this iPod on ebay, nor have I ever sold ANYTHING on ebay, nor do I plan on selling the iPod through any other means. I've been using Apple computers since birth, I love the company and their products, especially the iPod.

I understand it's your responsibility as MacNN community members to be concerned, but hopefully I have shed some more light on my situation. It's a long walk from my dorm to the top of campus, I could use some musical accompanyment.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:28 PM

I thought thats what you intended in no way did I think you were untrustworthy. I still stand by what I stated before. If you were asking the whole apple community thats fine with me, but your asking a individual group here which is students. Now if it were the former I am cool with that because most have steady jobs, and some may already have an iPod and be willing to go along wit this. For a student like me it is totally different. My last posts state why I think this I dont want to have to explain it again. If a student went through with this they would be giving up a A LOT. You know what I mean. I don't want to sound mean here but I think you just have to accept the fact that these deals weren't available when you purchased your powerbook. You and so many others are not able to get this deal, but you decide to try to get it anyway. It just seems wrong to me, especially sense your asking students. I am having a difficult time expressing what I mean. Let me tell you that I sound like I am calling you a criminal and dishonest. In no way am I doing this. I believe your intentions, but think about this?

Is it fair to others who cant access this deal? I am a student so I almost feel like I am being taken advantage of despite your intentions. As the last poster stated a student could make money off this great deal on ebay.

Is it fair to the student? Please I am not trying to sound harsh this is the only way to express the answer to this question.

Its almost like your taking $200 dollars from teh student you know what I mean.

Now I know I will get flamed for this one but is it fair to Apple? Others have to cope and pay the full amount, and this deal is really just for a student. In theory if you wanted to buy this off the student you should pay full price, or more close to it.

To sum it up this isn't fair you are getting a really good deal off something you aren't intended to get unless you purchased another powerbook.

Once again your intentions are good but I think you should look at it from a students perspective, and then think to yourself am I being fair.

now of course you could re-think the deal, but
I hate to say it, you may be better off saving up for it yourself if you really want this. This is what others must do in your situation.

I feel like I have been kind of mean to you, but I can't think of a better way to express what I mean here. I hope you understand where im coming from with this. I feel bad here, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

BigDaddy
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
I thought thats what you intended in no way did I think you were untrustworthy. I still stand by what I stated before. If you were asking the whole apple community thats fine with me, but your asking a individual group here which is students. Now if it were the former I am cool with that because most have steady jobs, and some may already have an iPod and be willing to go along wit this. For a student like me it is totally different. My last posts state why I think this I dont want to have to explain it again. If a student went through with this they would be giving up a A LOT. You know what I mean. I don't want to sound mean here but I think you just have to accept the fact that these deals weren't available when you purchased your powerbook. You and so many others are not able to get this deal, but you decide to try to get it anyway. It just seems wrong to me, especially sense your asking students. I am having a difficult time expressing what I mean. Let me tell you that I sound like I am calling you a criminal and dishonest. In no way am I doing this. I believe your intentions, but think about this?

Is it fair to others who cant access this deal? I am a student so I almost feel like I am being taken advantage of despite your intentions. As the last poster stated a student could make money off this great deal on ebay.

Is it fair to the student? Please I am not trying to sound harsh this is the only way to express the answer to this question.

Its almost like your taking $200 dollars from teh student you know what I mean.

Now I know I will get flamed for this one but is it fair to Apple? Others have to cope and pay the full amount, and this deal is really just for a student. In theory if you wanted to buy this off the student you should pay full price, or more close to it.

To sum it up this isn't fair you are getting a really good deal off something you aren't intended to get unless you purchased another powerbook.

Once again your intentions are good but I think you should look at it from a students perspective, and then think to yourself am I being fair.

now of course you could re-think the deal, but
I hate to say it, you may be better off saving up for it yourself if you really want this. This is what others must do in your situation.

I feel like I have been kind of mean to you, but I can't think of a better way to express what I mean here. I hope you understand where im coming from with this. I feel bad here, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

If the person is going to buy the computer anyway and not an IPOD what is the big deal. It is not like your taking money from him. I think you need a nap.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:31 PM

Jason I said its ALMOST like he is taking advantage of the student. If I did say he was I apologize that wasnt what I meant. For most students this is insane. Also as I said its not fair to others who aren't eligible for this offer, and have to pay full price.

Big daddy an iPod would gain the student money if sold on ebay after this offer. So it is almost like taking money that is my entire point.

Can you honestly tell me this is fair to those who arent eligible for this offer. He is one of those, and most have to pay full price. I think its wrong and that like I said is my .02 cents. If you would like to do it go right ahead. I already said this, but I wil say it again "I expressing my opinion harsher than I would like."

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:36 PM

Dude, what's your deal? If someone WANTS to willing give this guy a price break w/ their deal if they had NO INTENTIONS whatsoever of spending their own $69 on an iPod, then it is THEIR CHOICE. They are not an idiot and they'll fully realize they're giving this guy a deal. He's not scamming anyone...anyone who helps him out will be fully aware of what they are doing, there's no hidden gimmicks here.

And if you wanna get real political, you're saying "this isn't fair...", well, do you think a student getting an iPod from Apple for $69 and then reselling it on eBay for a $200 profit is very fair to Apple? Exactly.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:41 PM

Hopefully this will be my last post in this specific thread. I think it takes nerve to ask something like that. As I said most in his position have to pay full price so its really not fair to them. Do you see others asking students to do this. This is just how I feel about it. I think your being a little hard on me. Its justmy .02 cents on this. You cant guarantee everyone would realise every detail about this deal too. It doesn't hurt to state it out plain. Cut me some slack I think im entitiled to an opinion. It doesnt matter to me if someone does this for him, but its not fair to others. Also others aren't asking this.

Sorry if im pissing people off. Its just my 2 cents.

One last thing if he gets to have a price break then why cant somone else who isn't eligible get one. Its not like this person is the best friend of the person that is kind and gives him the ipod deal. He is asking a group of people, and most of us are complete strangers to each other on here.

imago dei
Aug 7, 2003, 09:47 PM

In regards to all the bickering about ripping off students, may I submit this quote:

P.S. I ordered my PowerBook for my Freshman year in college back in the spring, when this deal was not being offered, if that matters to anyone.
I in fact believe that RGB is him/herself a student, and therefore isn't out to rip off any fellow students.

That is all.

-imago dei

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:48 PM

You completely ignored my final statement about how reselling on eBay (as you mentioned) was unfair to Apple, and understandably so.

At any rate, what's so wrong with asking complete strangers? I've given numerous random items of my own to forum members in the past simply because I didn't have a desperate need for them, and numerous times I've been blessed by other's cutting me a great deal. The world needs more of that. I say let the individual decide; if that student wants to take advantage of the deal for themself, so be it. If not, it's their choice to either ignore the deal, or maybe help a guy out.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:56 PM

Hopefully this will be my last post in this specific thread. I think it takes nerve to ask something like that. As I said most in his position have to pay full price so its really not fair to them. Do you see others asking students to do this. This is just how I feel about it. I think your being a little hard on me. Its justmy .02 cents on this. You cant guarantee everyone would realise every detail about this deal too. It doesn't hurt to state it out plain. Cut me some slack I think im entitiled to an opinion. It doesnt matter to me if someone does this for him, but its not fair to others. Also others aren't asking this.

Sorry if im pissing people off. Its just my 2 cents.

One last thing if he gets to have a price break then why cant somone else who isn't eligible get one. Its not like this person is the best friend of the person that is kind and gives him the ipod deal. He is asking a group of people, and most of us are complete strangers to each other on here.
You've been here a month. A lot of us have established relationships on this board, and I have answered many ?s in this PowerBook forum offering my help to others. So we're not all complete strangers here.

And if a student wasn't planning on taking advantage of the iPod offer themselves for whatever reason, then what's the harm in me asking? There isn't any. And I don't see what's so unfair about one person helping another, at no one else's expense.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 09:56 PM

I am an Eagle Scout, and am very giving. I would be willing to give a complete stranger something. AssassyN I think you made a very good point. I do think this is different then giving someone your old Zip Drive that you don't need. I know you might come back and tell me well how is an iPod different than giviing away a zip drive. However I believe it is different. If a student asked hey does someone wany my iPod for cheap I would be different about it. I think it took RGB nerve to ask this. This is just my personal feeling about this, and im sure others feel differently about it. I dont want to come accross as a greedy ungiving jerk though because im not.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
You completely ignored my final statement about how reselling on eBay (as you mentioned) was unfair to Apple, and understandably so.

At any rate, what's so wrong with asking complete strangers? I've given numerous random items of my own to forum members in the past simply because I didn't have a desperate need for them, and numerous times I've been blessed by other's cutting me a great deal. The world needs more of that. I say let the individual decide; if that student wants to take advantage of the deal for themself, so be it. If not, it's their choice to either ignore the deal, or maybe help a guy out.
Well put, thank you.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 09:59 PM

I do understand your point in that "it took some nerve to ask..." but you're assuming he's a complete stranger to these boards, in which he's not. There's actually a good deal of "friendly relationships" that occur on this board, and myself, for one, would definitely help this fella out if I were not gonna buy an iPod but was getting a Student discounted laptop.

Congrats on the Eagle Scout, I myself am one as well, and it's rare to hear of other's considering only 2% of Scouts ever make it to Eagle...kudos to you!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:00 PM

Its unfair to those who dont have the nerve you have to ask. For me even though im not accepting it almost is offensive to me. Like I said most students have part time jobs. I understand your a student too. Like I said if the student asked does anyone want my iPod. I wont use the deal. i will sell it for cheap. I would accept that. You see what I mean? I think this makes the big difference.

I apologize, and I think I came out more harsh than I should of. I understand now that relationships are formed on these boards. AssassyN you have helped me a lot with the PowerBook 12 decision and I guess its stuff like that which brings all of the members here closer together.

Please excuse the above I repeated myself. I would not of done so if I would of seen AssassyN's last post. I got two Eagle Palms too. Wish I could of got the third oh well.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:04 PM

I getcha...you're saying there's nothing wrong with a kid getting the iPod for $69 and saying "Hey world, I got a deal, anyone want an iPod for $69?" yet there is something wrong with someone asking another student to do that for them...I guess it kind of goes hand-in-hand w/ it being rude to invite yourself to a party, however it's fine to be invited.

That's typically true, however RGB is a regular here and I'd say his credentials were definitely good enough for him to pose this request w/o any pressure to any student.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 10:05 PM

I also see where you're coming from with your 'nerve' comment. But like I said before - What's the harm?

Worst-case scenario: No one is able to help me out, I remain iPodless like I am now.

Best-case scenario: Things work out and I get a good deal, with no harm done to anyone.

I'm just taking a proactive approach here, that's all. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, ya know?

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 10:09 PM

Its unfair to those who dont have the nerve you have to ask. For me even though im not accepting it almost is offensive to me. Like I said most students have part time jobs. I understand your a student too. Like I said if the student asked does anyone want my iPod. I wont use the deal. i will sell it for cheap. I would accept that. You see what I mean? I think this makes the big difference.

I apologize, and I think I came out more harsh than I should of. I understand now that relationships are formed on these boards. AssassyN you have helped me a lot with the PowerBook 12 decision and I guess its stuff like that which brings all of the members here closer together.

Please excuse the above I repeated myself. I would not of done so if I would of seen AssassyN's last post. I got two Eagle Palms too. Wish I could of got the third oh well.
I do have a part time job around here as a web designer, have for the last 3 1/2 years. I also had a 6 month stint in customer service at Circuit City. As soon as I get down to college in 9 days, I will be finding myself a job, so that I can make my car payments and have a little leftover to help pay for my loans later on.

The student without the nerve has the same opportunity I have, thus no unfairness. They just don't take advantage of it.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:10 PM

Got nothing else to say then. I agree with you AssassyN. Its hard to express what I meant in words. It took a bit of thinking because I knew i was coming out harsh. AssassyN you pretty much put the nail on the head. RGB I hope you see what I mean too. I don't want you to hate me for my comments, but I hope you see what I mean. I don't have a problem with it based on what AssassyN said. Especially now that I finally was able to express my point. AssassyN gave a good example of what i meant.

Thank you for understanding what I meant. Once again I know longer have a problem with it. I also hope RGB understood what I meant, and that he doesn't think im a poop.

Answer RGB's last posts

RGB well their isn't any harm at all. Its the way it comes accross. Its a lot different than the student who is buying the powerbook making an iPod offer and you accepting it.

Thats all im trying to say.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Aug 7, 2003 at 10:16 PM. )

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:15 PM

*hums "Happy Days..."*
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:23 PM

Lets all grab a beer and listen to some Good Charlotte. Good times! Well I guess I will need a good old Ginger Ale because im underage! Unless I could get away with it, but Im an Eagle Scout so I will go for the Ginger Ale!

Life is good, but short so don't waste one minute of it, or you will regret it!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:26 PM

but Im an Eagle Scout so I will go for the Ginger Ale!
I second that! "This is the Anthem throw all ya hands up..."
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:29 PM

LOL, Like I say starting now. When its all sorted out lets crack jokes.

ROFL! I guess I just made another corny joke.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:32 PM

Good Charlotte
has a song called

East Coast Anthem

Not a joke! if you want the track IM me.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:34 PM

Good Charlotte
has a song called

East Coast Anthem

Not a joke! if you want the track IM me.
Yep, got it
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 10:36 PM

I got all their songs

The lyrics in Waldorfworldwide pretty much goes with the major turning point this thread has taken.

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2003, 10:57 PM

Hey RGB--

I'm a teacher and can qualify for the educator offer. I'm holding off on upgrading my 12 inch PB until when the new machines are introduced.

If Apple is still offering this deal when the new machines are offered, contact me at [email protected] and I'll help you out. I certainly do not mind helping out a student who is also a Mac fan, and frankly, I would encourage the rest of you to do the same.

RGB--I hope Apple extends the offer once the new 'books are introduced.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by ibulldog:
Hey RGB--

I'm a teacher and can qualify for the educator offer. I'm holding off on upgrading my 12 inch PB until when the new machines are introduced.

If Apple is still offering this deal when the new machines are offered, contact me at [email protected] and I'll help you out. I certainly do not mind helping out a student who is also a Mac fan, and frankly, I would encourage the rest of you to do the same.

You, are living proof good people still exist.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2003, 11:00 PM

They also got a song called the Anthem on the second CD.

Good Times

Ok ill stop now.

Now I got a quote so everyone is happy. RGB has an iPod I got a quote. Notice I repeated myself
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 01:20 AM

Hey RGB--

Thanks for the offer, I believe the deal expires in September. I sure hope we see PowerBook updates by then, it's about time!

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 01:25 AM

Got nothing else to say then. I agree with you AssassyN. Its hard to express what I meant in words. It took a bit of thinking because I knew i was coming out harsh. AssassyN you pretty much put the nail on the head. RGB I hope you see what I mean too. I don't want you to hate me for my comments, but I hope you see what I mean. I don't have a problem with it based on what AssassyN said. Especially now that I finally was able to express my point. AssassyN gave a good example of what i meant.

Thank you for understanding what I meant. Once again I know longer have a problem with it. I also hope RGB understood what I meant, and that he doesn't think im a poop.

Answer RGB's last posts

RGB well their isn't any harm at all. Its the way it comes accross. Its a lot different than the student who is buying the powerbook making an iPod offer and you accepting it.

Thats all im trying to say.
Nope, no hard feelings. We're all here to express our opinions and viewpoints, and I respect that. And you're right, it does come across differently when asking than offering. I'm glad all is well. Now if only this headache would go away.

*grumble* stupid sleep deprivation *grumble*

And by the way, I'm glad I could assist your progress toward the century mark in the post count

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 03:23 AM

So, if the PowerBooks get updated, would anyone like to buy a brand new iPod 10gig for $219 ? LfGrdMike, you've got the first option to buy before it goes on sale to the general public!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2003, 09:26 AM

I am an Eagle Scout, and am very giving.
I am too. While it's a good indication of character, it doesn't establish moral high ground when you mention it.

I think it took RGB nerve to ask this. This is just my personal feeling about this, and im sure others feel differently about it.
I imagine it did take some nerve to ask. Good. You rarely get far in life / negotiations / business / etcetera without taking some initiative, putting forth some nerve, and asking.

Your Eagle service project took a lotta damn nerve if it was done properly. After all, you had to design a project that would take about 90 man-hours of work minimum, pitch the project for approval to both Scoutmaster and to the place that would benefit from it, write up the report, and submit the report to the BSA Council office, ask for donations to get materials, ask people both in troop and out of troop to give up their time to help you execute it, and then talk about it to the board of review populated by folks at the District and Council level.

Hopefully, your project was one that has some lasting signifigance and permanent physical presence.

I dont want to come accross (SIC) as a greedy ungiving jerk though because im not.
You talk about 'fairness' and that it would be okay if the deal was available to everyone, not just to students. Well, fairness is only involved here in a limited role: where EarthMkII and whoever decides to deal with him treat each other fairly. That's it. Doesn't apply to anyone else.

Unfair to those who don't have the nerve? Well, they'll have bigger problems to reckon with

If those two people enter into a deal, and feel they've treated each other fairly, then no one was taken advantage of. Generally, this is mitigated when dealing with minors (and is a reason why scouts trade patches, not sell them) - but here we're dealing with people who can decide if they're being taken advantage of or not.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2003, 09:58 AM

I certainly do not mind helping out a student who is also a Mac fan, and frankly, I would encourage the rest of you to do the same.
It sounds like a terrible deal and a waste of time for the person doing the ordering. If it's were me, I'd want $200+ for that iPod. Otherwise I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole.

Sorry to say it but quite frankly, RGB comes across as cheapskate here. It's not as if this is even for books or lab supplies. It's for friggin' luxury item. If he wants a luxury item he should at least offer a reasonable amount for it.

I'm with LfGrdMike on this one.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 10:09 AM

I think you'd get more response if the purchaser didn't have to spend the full amount, and then wait 2 months to get their $200 back. Bummer.

Hope it works out for you though.

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2003, 10:21 AM

Look, I hardly believe my choice to help RGB, if possible, is a waste of time. I already own two iPods and don't need another. RGB seems to be on the up and up to me. He's already emailed me and provided some background, appears genuinely gracious for my offer, and I'm left feeling positive for having helped another person stick with Apple.

I certainly do not have ulterior motives, and am operating from the simple perspective of benevolence. I'm no martyr, certainly, but extending a simple act of kindness beyond my own little world doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Furthermore, I realize that RGB is getting a killer deal (assuming the deal happens). If he chooses to sell the damn thing on ebay, that's his prerogative.

Some of you folks should lighten up a bit.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2003, 10:31 AM

Look, I hardly believe my choice to help RGB, if possible, is a waste of time. I already own two iPods and don't need another. RGB seems to be on the up and up to me. He's already emailed me and provided some background, appears genuinely gracious for my offer, and I'm left feeling positive for having helped another person stick with Apple.

I certainly do not have ulterior motives, and am operating from the simple perspective of benevolence. I'm no martyr, certainly, but extending a simple act of kindness beyond my own little world doesn't seem like such a bad thing. Furthermore, I realize that RGB is getting a killer deal (assuming the deal happens). If he chooses to sell the damn thing on ebay, that's his prerogative.

Some of you folks should lighten up a bit.
It'd be nice if I had an extra iPod at work. I need portable backup, it'd work great with my Windows boxes. Plus I could have the added benefit of using an iPod at work for music, because it does get quite boring sitting at that desk all day.

If anyone is about to buy an iBook or a PowerBook through the Apple Store for Education, I would be very thankful if I could 'piggyback' on your purchase by giving you the $69 + tax for a base iPod, and you order the iPod along with the PowerBook. Hopefully my post count, along with my contributions to this forum show that I'm not trying to scam you or anything, and that my request is truly genuine.

I'd definitely pay for extra shipping, and any extra costs incurred, including long distance phone charges. I'll even add another $50 to cover the time and hassle.

-----

Even the above seems like the post of cheapskate.

ibulldog, I applaud your generosity, but it's obvious RGB is just looking for some generous person to give him a free ride. It's of course up to you do what you please, but if it were me I'd say no just out of principle.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 10, 2003 at 10:42 AM. )

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 10:55 AM

At the very least, RGB should be the one to have the $200 sitting out there for 2 months. Then the purchaser can send him the $200 when their rebate arrives, if they really want to help him out.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by murbot:
At the very least, RGB should be the one to have the $200 sitting out there for 2 months. Then the purchaser can send him the $200 when their rebate arrives, if they really want to help him out.

At any point did I not say I would do this if neccessary? Don't worry about it. Geez, sorry for crackin a joke and reviving a dead topic.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 05:18 PM

The topic lives again -

The generous individual who offered previously has decided not to purchase a new PowerBook at this time, so my request is once again live, and with the introduction of the new PowerBooks today I'm sure plenty are buying.

To restate my request:

If you're buying a new PowerBook or iBook through Apple's Store for Education, but do not plan on purchasing an iPod to capitalize on Apple's $200 rebate, I would like to buy that iPod through you and thus get the discounted price.

Let me know if you're interested, either in this thread, a PM, or email me at: ryan at ryanberg dot net.

Thanks!

Walking around the campus and seeing many others walking around with their iPods has given me a serious case of iPod envy, I'm ready to buy!

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 06:16 PM

I would, but I'm actually doing the same for a friend.

He wants an iPod. I already have an iPod, but want a PowerBook. So we're ordering together, and we're each taking half of the �120 rebate.

(Don't forget it's a mail-in rebate - you pay full price on the order then send a coupon to get the money back.)

Good luck to you

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
I would, but I'm actually doing the same for a friend.

He wants an iPod. I already have an iPod, but want a PowerBook. So we're ordering together, and we're each taking half of the �120 rebate.

(Don't forget it's a mail-in rebate - you pay full price on the order then send a coupon to get the money back.)

Good luck to you

Amorya
Thanks much for the kind words. And yes I know it's a mail-in rebate, I'd be glad to take on the up-front cost if necessary.
( Last edited by RGB; Sep 16, 2003 at 11:26 PM. )

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 04:05 PM

Damn, no takers. Oh well. I shall remain iPodless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules