Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DELL 2005FPW UltraSharp 20.1" Widescreen LCD

DELL 2005FPW UltraSharp 20.1" Widescreen LCD
cplusee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2005, 06:48 AM

O im going to buy this for my mac. But one thing i need to make sure is, I see some of the LCD screens you can turn upright like if you are reading a book. Are they all like that or only some. Do all of these models turn up like this one, or i need to make sure they have the option with that screen or model. Here a exp
http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/96/d5/27_1_b.JPG

Thank again for help. And any feedback about these screen. They have the same spec as the 20in Apple screen.

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2005, 08:16 AM

They all rotate. Word of warning about this screen: many of them come with nasty backlight bleeding, so be prepared to exchange several times. Other than that they are great value for money, good features, great image quality.
( Last edited by firefly; Jul 30, 2005 at 08:26 AM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2005, 09:46 AM

But only some Mac video cards support the rotation. You'll need a fairly recent video card... does anyone know the specifics?

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2005, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras
But only some Mac video cards support the rotation. You'll need a fairly recent video card... does anyone know the specifics?
Unless you have Tiger, only some retail ATI cards will support the rotation. Tiger has rotation built in although I dont know which cards do and dont work with it.

cplusee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 01:33 AM

Ty for the feed back. Bleeding. I not to up to date on screen tech. What does that mean. And to tell you the truth, i like it because of the size and price was nice. But if im going to have trouble. is it worth it. I thought it was the same as the apple 20' just dif frame. OK so tell me what other model can i get in the 20' rage. I was thinking of the CRT but i might as well get the LCD apple 17'. But that almost the price of this Dell. But smaller. I need quilty and good picture. So come on let me know, and I always welcome to a debate. Thank again to everyone.

And i want to decide before the 7th.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 12:33 PM

Its a great monitor, my apartmentmate has the non-widescreen and loves it. The bleeding can be seen if the image onscreen is all black and the corners seem brighter than everything else. Also, using my video card and tiger I can rotate my 1905fp with no problems.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

CrusaderSean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 12:41 PM

the lcd is same as apple's 20", just the backlight and input board are different. it's the backlight that some people are complaining about. bleeding can be slight or severe on some monitors. basically brightness isn't equal in all area of the screen. if you've used an older lcd, you probably noticed top portion of screen is darker than lower portion. in 2005fpw case, it's in four corners (if theres a problem). i have a 2005fpw and i can't see any bleeding at all. i would say go for it. if you can find fault with it, dell will send a replacement right away.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 12:49 PM

I own a couple of dell 2005's. yes, you can pivot the display BUT one caveat- the viewing angle is quite narrow when you rotate it on its side. you have to be sitting directly head on and not move too much or the image washes out. my only other complaint is that trying to control the brightness is difficult. there is a shareware app out there but it screws up the gamma of this monitor. BTW, the 2005 looks best at a gamma of 2.2, so change that in system prefs if you get one. it would be nice if apple supported brightness control for third party monitors

cplusee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 05:23 PM

Well from what i been reading it is a good screen. This will be my first LCD. And i will be deal with video allot. What what you have told me this seem like a really good LCD. I just want it to last. How many time will Dell replace it thou. But i guess for the price i cant get any better unless i get the 24'.
And is there a way to fix the backlight that dell can do so i wont get these problem. Or is there anything else i can do so i know i get good quilty.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 10:03 PM

backlight bleeding is hit or miss, but from what I hear from friends and online dell is very good about replacing them quickly and without questions. just keep switching until you are satisfied.

cplusee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 10:25 PM

So i guess that my best choice in the 20' range. i just mad that i missed dell deal, 386$ deal. O well but i might look on ebay for one. Because it seem that my only choice. But sounds like a good choice. I just have to find a good video card to add with this nice screen. hmmm,Radeon 9000 pro maybe. ty you for all the help. O and one more ? i do have a 533(DP) what the best memory for it. i want to max it out.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by cplusee
So i guess that my best choice in the 20' range. i just mad that i missed dell deal, 386$ deal. O well but i might look on ebay for one. Because it seem that my only choice. But sounds like a good choice. I just have to find a good video card to add with this nice screen. hmmm,Radeon 9000 pro maybe. ty you for all the help. O and one more ? i do have a 533(DP) what the best memory for it. i want to max it out.
If you can, I would wait. That deal comes back very frequently. Your patience will be rewarded.

cplusee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2005, 02:55 PM

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""UPDATE''''''''''''''' '''''

Ok I'v been reading allot about these screens. These are my final two choices

DELL 2005FPW UltraSharp 20.1" Widescreen LCD or the
Sony 24" GDM-W900 CRT (VGA)

Ok the problem my mind is haveing is, which one is better. I hear that the LCD bleeds on the Dell but the price is nice, and they say it a good screen for 20', and they say the color is nice. But I also here that the CTR even thou it's bigger(size) but get better picture because it is a CRT. I will be dealing with audio and video work. MAin video. And i want something that will last.

I always look at people setups pics. And they have a LCD and a little screen on the side. I guess for people doing video work. Is it best to get lcd and dont worry about the crt. Or will i get better quilty in the CRT sence the lens on the lcd burns and changes color over time. I have not reaad that CRT do the same. Well they might last longer, i not sure that why im asking. And I wont have to always calibrate the screen. I hope i make sence. I am a rockie in this field. And please feel free to explain anything. I about to spend so i dont want to make the wrong choice. I know there not a 100% correct answer but still would like your option.

osxisfun
Aug 1, 2005, 03:04 PM

i thought the bleeding prob was fixed last jan. or so...

i think i read that but don't hold me to it. i bought a dell 2005 earlier this year and it was fine. (super bright though) and the ID of a moneky butt.

but overall the extra ports where useful to hook up to my pc and the same time.

macbain80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 03:18 PM

Backlight bleed definitely NOT fixed - my 2005 (second one after returning first) is a Revision 2 built 2 months ago, and has very bad backlight bleed. I'll have to exchange it again.

Word of advice. Keep exchanging (if you have to) within two weeks of recieving each monitor, otherwise they will give you a reconditioned one instead of new.

No, there is no known way to fix backlight bleeding. Much talk of being able to alter it a little by massaging the screen, but it only moves the problem around.

Finally, if you're doing video work, be aware that LCD's are NOT good indicators of how your final product will look on a TV! CRT's are the only way to go for that (or an NTSC monitor). So that might be a vote for the CRT, despite the huge size...

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 03:51 PM

wow. thanks for the update.

is this happening on the 24" dell as well?

macbain80
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 04:57 PM

Yeah, same deal on the 24.

Thing is, if you don't have a lot of black on your screen or watch letterboxed movies much on it, the monitors are awesome and unbelievably inexpensive. If you DO those things, however...

osxisfun
Aug 2, 2005, 05:53 PM

thanks macbain80...

I actually do not watch movies or do black screen stuff (presentations) etc.. so this info helps me.

deciding if i want to buy a 24" next time a dell coupon hits my mail box.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 12:11 AM

My 2005FPW suffers a little from the backlight bleeding. I don't watch movies or do any kind of work where it would be noticed. I would have probably never noticed it if I hadn't read about it on this forum. For the price I gave for mine (about $430 after shipping and tax) I can't complain. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one or move up to the 24". I don't think the bleeding is near as bad as the pinkish hue problem would be on the 23" ACD.

The only issues I have is that it doesn't match my G5 PowerMac and the brightness is brighter than I would normally like. There is a freeware program that takes care of it but I don't recall the name of it.

Also, some people would rather spend the extra cash and get an Apple display. For the price of the 20" ACD a person can get a 24" Dell monitor. For someone like me the screen size is more important than the brand.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 02:49 AM

Get the dell 2005fpw. Seriously. In fact, get 2.
I, ASIMO.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 12:29 PM

Up until recently, every LCD I've seen has had backlight bleeding. It didn't seem to be a huge issue a few years ago, why is it now?

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 12:43 PM

I have a dual Dell 24" setup. One monitor is perfect and the other has a slight bleeding problem on the very top near the corner. Even with black up there you have to really look to see it so i am not worried about it.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules