Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > all-in-one, network printer/scanner/fax

all-in-one, network printer/scanner/fax
mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2008, 07:04 AM

I'm looking for an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax for my home office.

I need this device to be fully functional via the network (scanning and printing) from both OS X (leopard) and the nasty.

I do not need photo printing quality, but would prefer the ability to print in color on occassion (however, I would strongly consider B&W offerings as long as the other requisite funtionality is rock solid).

Anyone have a good recommendation that would meet my criteria?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2008, 09:47 AM

I recently installed a Lexmark X6570 all in one. It is wireless and works with OSX and Teh Nasty. The client did not have ethernet in the utility room where the only analog phone jack was. So we set it up, ran the wireless connection utility, and voila, it worked. Obviously, copying and faxing were no challenge. It does have a multi-page feeder, address book, standard send/receive settings.
But the fun part is that you can scan or copy from any computer over the network, then print the scanned image to a real printer. Of course you can use its printing ability which is fine, but as is the case with most of the all in ones, the ink cartridges are breath taking expensive.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 26, 2008, 08:40 PM

I've been considering the HP Officejet 6310 for similar needs - 'cept old Nasty - and would appreciate other users' feedback on it. Googled reports of Leopard compatability seem to range widely. HP (and, starting on special tomorrow, Best Buy) prices it at $169 USD.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 10:08 PM

I have this one Canon PIXMA MP810 Photo All In One
I've had it for about a year now. I can't get the OS X 10.4.x or the 10.5.x share printer
function to work at all with a PC. The PC sends the data and the configuration panel
on the mac notices it but no print job is created and the printer receives no data at
all. So you might want to check if apple's sharing even works or connect through the
PC.

Also recently my printer stopped printing correctly. The build quality of these things
are totally atrocious! And I guess I mean ALL printers Canon, Epson, HP, etc.. I can
remember dot matrix (pin) printers of the early 90's and late 80's and you could
drive a tank over them and not have to worry about it not working. Today if it's
even sitting on a slightly uneven surface the frame is so flimsy that it won't print
right or will have problems. - K, sorry to rant but, gosh!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 08:18 PM

I chose a laser printer for an AIO (Brother MFC-7820N), because I find inkjets too expensive for my output. There are some pretty good deals for laser AIOs right now. I have a separate color/photo inket printer which I reserve exclusively for occasions requiring color output. Laser printers excel in text output. The unit has an ADF which makes multi-page scanning/faxing convenient. Scanner resolution is more than enough for most cases. Toners are reasonably priced, which is a big factor for me. About the only thing I dislike (as with most AIOs) is the size.

The Brother software is pretty functional under Mac OS X (Tiger, Leopard). I think you can even use Leopard's native Image Capture app to do remote scanning (I haven't tried, but Cold Warrior was successful with it). I'm not overly impressed with HP's software for their PSC line of AIOs. Canon's MP810 is pretty decent, although it's on the pricier side.

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2008, 08:52 PM

It is? I thought I was buying the cheapest one. It said it had the lowest per-page printing cost and at the same time said it was the fastest per-page too. Did they lie to me? (again?)

Woebgon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2008, 09:06 PM

My HP Photosmart C6180 seems to be working just fine with my new iMac. I've used it quite a bit for scanning and printing pictures now with great results. I have not tried to scan text with it yet. The biggest problem that I've had is that it doesn't seem to work with my AEBS, but I have to admit that I haven't explored all the possible solutions to this problem. Since it's working fine the way it is I don't have time right now to mess with it.

I almost forgot -- I had to download some software (HP Device Manager & HP Photosmart Studio) from the HP website to get the full functions of the printer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules