Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The official Macbook Air order thread

The official Macbook Air order thread
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2008, 12:40 PM

Okay, chime in. How many have ordered and what is the estimated ship date?

I want one badly. Someone please buy my 2 month old Dell 1520 so I can offset the cost!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2008, 08:18 PM

Looks like (by the drop in Apple's stock) this thread might be limited to few responses.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 05:21 AM

Seems that way.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 17, 2008, 06:44 AM

I ordered a base model.

Order reply states shipping from Ireland to UK by the 6th Feb but over the phone when they confirmed my internet order, Apple said that they would be shipping on the 1st of Feb.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 09:15 AM

So why did you put the "official" MBA order thread in the MacBook forum?
It is afterall a professional computer much like the MBP is. No slight intended for MB owners, I used to be one. Its just part of that line and not the MacBook line.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 05:41 PM

Apple order status page says ships by the 6th of February.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 05:48 PM

Ordered the 1.8GHz/64GB SSD model shortly after the keynote.

But having second thoughts (as I've said in other threads). Not about the price, since I'm not paying out of pocket for it anyway, but wondering if my needs would be better served with a standard MacBook instead.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 09:27 PM

The price/performance ratio just isn't right for me. Maybe in a few years.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 11:23 PM

Feb 6th ship date for the "best" MacBook Air and dongles. Cinema Display shipped today.

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
It is afterall a professional computer much like the MBP is. No slight intended for MB owners, I used to be one. Its just part of that line and not the MacBook line.
I don't know about that. MBA uses the ($250) MB AppleCare, not the ($350) MBP AppleCare, despite being closer in price to the latter.
And these two forums are supposed to be merged soon anyway.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Feb 6th ship date for the "best" MacBook Air and dongles. Cinema Display shipped today.
What display did you get? Even though the MBA isn't right for me right now, that does sound like an awesome setup that makes me jealous in the face.

Please post some pictures (and don't forget to shoot the MacBook from the top so that it's actually visible ).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:36 AM

I've ordered mine from Amazon. $5 off the list price! Woo hoo!!

If anyone searches Amazon for the MacBook Air Ultimate (my designation), you won't see it at first. Pick the 1.8 model and there is a drop-down list where you can upgrade it to the SSD.

I've also ordered the MBA Superdrive, Ethernet dongle, Travel power adapter, Time Capsule and just for kicks, Apple TV.

I travel a lot and the MBA is going to be soooo nice.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post

If anyone searches Amazon for the MacBook Air Ultimate (my designation), you won't see it at first. Pick the 1.8 model and there is a drop-down list where you can upgrade it to the SSD.

I've also ordered the MBA Superdrive, Ethernet dongle, Travel power adapter, Time Capsule and just for kicks, Apple TV.

Do you pack everything in a carryon, or does some of your luggage get checked?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:50 AM

I wouldn't consider the MBA "pro" level. It's slower than then the MB and with less expansion. I doubt any professionals would buy a MBA except if size were a serious issue or they wanted to have the coolest laptop (which the MBA is).

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Do you pack everything in a carryon, or does some of your luggage get checked?
All carry-on. But then I most likely won't be traveling with the Apple TV nor Time Capsule. I just backup any files I create to a USB memory stick until I return home. Then I'll let Time Machine automatically backup the latest versions of my files.

MacTheKnife
Jan 19, 2008, 05:45 AM

I ordered a MBA at 10:45 on Tuesday. Got the 1.8/SSD model with SuperDrive. Will let you know what the shipping status is when we get closer to the 2-3 weeks date.

MacTheKnife
Jan 19, 2008, 05:55 AM

It now has its own listing. Thanks for this tip. I may cancel my Apple order and get it from Amazon instead. Not only am I Prime member but no sales tax saves quite a few bucks!

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 19, 2008, 02:29 PM

I was luckily sent an electronic coupon for £69 off any order (over £699) from the Apple Store by the end of January. Got my MBA for £1130!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
What display did you get? Even though the MBA isn't right for me right now, that does sound like an awesome setup that makes me jealous in the face.

Please post some pictures (and don't forget to shoot the MacBook from the top so that it's actually visible ).
I wanted the 30" but GMA X3100 doesn't support dual link DVI (I hear the next generation, GMA X4500, will), so I got the 23".

I won't be in my office with the full setup for about a month, so I'm sure a lot of folks will have setup photos before me.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 22, 2008, 02:24 AM

Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 22, 2008, 10:36 PM

A thoughtful post, Andrew. Like me, you clearly understand the MBA's target market, being part of it.

Anyway, ordered this afternoon! 1.8 GHz, 80 GB, the SuperDrive, and ethernet adapter.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 10:40 PM

Well, it has the price of the Pro range, with the performance of the consumer range....

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 12:56 AM

The Macbook Air has been showing up in my Amazon Goldbox! I've been offered $104 off the 1.8/HHD and $94 off the 1.6/HHD so far.

malax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 01:41 AM

I ordered mine from Amazon the day of the keynote. Today, just for yucks I placed an order for another base-model one to see what the ship date would be. My earlier order has a delivery date of Feb 11; my second order had a ship date of March 25th. Someone has reason to believe the first 6 weeks of production models have been accounted for already. That sounds like pretty good sales for a product that hasn't even hit the shelves yet.

I wish I got a MacBook Air offer in my gold box. They are currently offering me a "GROHE Eurodisc Single-Handle Lavatory Faucet" for $75. Not quite as exciting/desirable.

Spartan24
Jan 23, 2008, 09:00 PM

I ordered the souped up model with 64 gig SSD a couple of days ago. Delivery is Feb 16th.

Does anyone have any idea how much quicker the SSD drive should be vs the HDD? I'm really hoping Steve wasn't kidding in his comment that "it's really fast"!

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2008, 10:10 PM

i'm actually planning on getting this later this year. it should be awesome laptop for me.. just what i need for the road.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 10:14 PM

Ordered the 1.8GHz/64GB SSD model with Feb 8 shipping date.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2008, 08:01 AM

Update: my school's store says that all of their edu MBA orders moved to "mid- to late-February" per Apple. Ordered January 22.

Serenity now!!!

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2008, 09:38 AM

You're not giving away our Water-Pik!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2008, 06:49 PM

1.8Ghz/64GB arrived today

Too bad it's at my future office and I won't see it for ~3 weeks.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2008, 09:58 PM

An update to my update: my edu rep quoted my 1.8/HD delivery as Tuesday, February 12 ... but was also careful to mention that tricky Chinese customs could delay this.

Either way, I'm delighted at least it's en route. Stay tuned.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2008, 02:53 AM

Well hell, since I started the thread.... I didn't order one. I went to the Apple Store in Norfolk Virginia. They seemed to have a ton in stock because they didn't bother to check inventory when people wanted one. They just went in back and got it. So I just had to buy one.

I bought the 1.6/80 model. It's sweet. It boots fast, seems faster than my new Vista laptop. Apps open in a few bounces, remote disk took a reboot to work properly, but after that it was just great. I love this thing.

sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 12:11 PM

I placed the order for my SSD-MBA within an hour of the re-opening of the store after the announcement. Originally to ship by 8 Feb, delivered by 14 Feb. No changes on that through the end of the day yesterday (8 Feb), and now today I see it's scheduled to ship by March 4, delivered by March 10, even further out than the 2-3 weeks estimated for a machine ordered today. WTF?

I had hoped to take this with me to a conference at the end of next week... Of course, the ethernet dongle and the external SuperDrive did ship, making it harder to just cancel the whole thing. Is there some real problem with these? Mine is listed as "CTO", but the only "options" involved were the ethernet connector and SuperDrive, and they got sent. Is Apple just ignoring edu customers? Or am I uniquely disadvantaged here?
( Last edited by sra; Feb 9, 2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: message header lost)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2008, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by sra View Post
I placed the order for mine within an hour of the re-opening of the store after the announcement. Originally to ship by 8 Feb, delivered by 14 Feb. No changes on that through the end of the day yesterday (8 Feb), and now today I see it's scheduled to ship by March 4, delivered by March 10, even further out than the 2-3 weeks estimated for a machine ordered today. WTF?

I had hoped to take this with me to a conference at the end of next week... Of course, the ethernet dongle and the external SuperDrive did ship, making it harder to just cancel the whole thing. Is there some real problem with these? Mine is listed as "CTO", but the only "options" involved were the ethernet connector and SuperDrive, and they got sent. Is Apple just ignoring edu customers? Or am I uniquely disadvantaged here?
Have you never ordered from Apple? I fully expected the ship times to be protracted thus I'm not disappointed.

I got my mitts on a MBA at Microcenter yesterday; take my word for it - it will be worth the wait.

sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 01:07 PM

Have you never ordered from Apple? I fully expected the ship times to be protracted thus I'm not disappointed.
Yes, of course. But stretching it out a month, especially when the machines are apparently shipping, and I did get my order in at the very beginning? This seems really extreme, and I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2008, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by sra View Post
Yes, of course. But stretching it out a month, especially when the machines are apparently shipping, and I did get my order in at the very beginning? This seems really extreme, and I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same thing.
call apple...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
call apple...
I did. The person I spoke to said she could see no reason for the delay, and knew of no other cases like this, but that I would have to call the educational division ... which, of course, isn't open on the weekend.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2008, 03:26 PM

hmm i'm drooling for one of these. hopefully i can get one in the coming months, it would fit my lifystyle nicely.

bradoz71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2008, 11:42 PM

Ordered 1.6/80 MBA from J&R on Jan 18th and received yesterday.
Macbook Air | 1.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo | 2 GB | 80 GB
Macbook (Black, Week 22) | 2.0 Ghz Core Duo | 2 GB | 120 GB
Mac Mini | 1.25 Ghz G4 | 40 GB | 1 GB
iPods | Touch 16 GB | 4G 20 GB | 5G 30 GB (White) | Nano 2 GB (Black) | 2G Shuffle 1 GB

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2008, 01:52 PM

Got mine over the weekend - 1.8/64 SSD!
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ///Milien View Post
Got mine over the weekend - 1.8/64 SSD!

That's the one I wanted, but I couldn't afford it. Did you see the comparison videos at AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Analysis The speed difference is phenomenal.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2008, 12:30 PM

I did see the comparison and the numbers are phenomenal. I always wanted a Mac with no moving ports other than the hinges and keys. The machine fits my lifestyle because I am always on the go and now with the Starbucks/AT&T announcement, living wirelessly will be great.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 01:45 PM

You know, I've NEVER connected to something like a public hot spot before. Is that stuff at Starbuck's free or something?

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
You know, I've NEVER connected to something like a public hot spot before. Is that stuff at Starbuck's free or something?
Some kind of Starbucks card/membership gets you 2 free hours a day. AT&T DSL subscribers (any speed tier now) can get it free using their ATT DSL user name and password. Other folks can still choose to pay.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2008, 03:25 PM

I'll probably check it out then. It seems to be a quieter place to do some school work than that student lounge at school. Everyone there is more concerned about playing Geetar Hero than anything else.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 04:22 PM

Most indi coffee shops have free wifi anyway though.

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 13, 2008, 09:11 PM

So. Not. Happy. Reordered today.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules