Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Makes sense to buy an ACD now?

Makes sense to buy an ACD now?
shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2008, 03:38 PM

I need to replace my current monitor. I wanted to wait for an ACD refresh, but I don't see this happening any time soon. It's either the 23" ACD or the NEC 2490Wuxi.

Any thoughts?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

I would feel bad not letting you know even when I was told not to do it so, certain Apple Reseller told me they are not taking orders as of today on the current Apple Displays anymore, it seems Apple told them to do it so, so it is easy to think a refreshed Apple Cinema Displays are coming.

A friend of me has that NEC, quality-wise is amazing, and you can use a hood, rotate it… but all the good looking it does sport is the NEC brand typography, seriously, something that expensive ought also be good looking.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, the 2490Wuxi's industrial design is a little disappointing. I'm really torn, I know the NEC would be a good monitor and that I could get now.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 04:49 PM

Well, Apple uses to introduce hardware on Tuesday so… if there aren't new Apple displays this week you can always get the NEC which is second to none or only second to Eizo but those are insanely expensive.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 09:35 PM

Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Arkham_c View Post
It has said that forever, though.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2008, 03:42 AM

I guess no updates until MW SF 09, so I bit the bullet and got an ACD23" and a ACD 30", go me.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2008, 02:48 PM

Good call. I waited for bloody ages then went and got a 30" that I'm over the moon with. Wish I'd done it earlier!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2008, 03:20 AM

Considering that Apple has said that they will be moving their entire product palette over to LED backlighting by the end of this year, it seems fairly obvious to me that we should be seeing new Cinema Displays rather soonish...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2008, 06:50 PM

I don't doubt it in most cases, analogika, but I haven't seen any reasonably priced 30" LED beasties yet.

There's a Samsung XL30, but that goes for $4kish.

I'd LOVE one, though

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2008, 12:55 AM

I wonder if Apple will change screen sizes.

Increase the size of the smallest display...

LED backlighting, and I'd be very interested to see where cinema displays would stand in comparison to Eizo ColorEdges...

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2008, 02:06 AM

Or Apple may decide it's time to do what they did with their scanners, printers etc. and just get out of that market altogether: it's not a good space to be in competition and price-wise, and other than a "pretty case" there's not a lot of reason to keep a presence. IMHO.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2008, 01:51 PM

People still see the monitor as the face of the computer, Apple won't exit this market space, some people want to have an Apple Screen period.

zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2008, 09:48 PM

Hopefully you all heard about today's news : http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB...mco=MTkzOTAzMA

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 08:52 PM

You can buy a current (actually old) ACD display and expect to use it for a long time. The Display Port can carry DVI signals so you will only need an adapter (rumored to be $49-99) to use it if you buy a new Mac with the new port.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules