Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Desktop partition icons

Desktop partition icons
bobsie
Aug 2, 2000, 10:49 AM

Is there a way to specify the load order of my desktop partition icons?

-- bobsie

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2000, 11:45 AM

i believe so, though i have never cared to do so

see applescript forum and third-party software forum

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2000, 12:26 PM

really? I always thought that system partition always load first, followed by which-ever partition that has the most data on it, and that was the way its set to. I don't think applescript will help much, since startup items load after HDs and drivers load, but third-party software might...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2000, 04:39 PM

With OS versions prior to 8.5, it was possible to control the order of network volumes by connecting in the order you wanted through the Chooser. However, Evangellydonut is correct about the load order of partitions. It's very easy to arrange the icons with AppleScript:

tell application "Finder"
try
select disk "Macintosh HD"
set position of selection to {1088, 82}
on error
end try
end tell

You can record the actions with Script Editor to get the positions. The try/on error/end try keeps the script from erroring out if a volume is unavailable. Feel free to leave it out if you don't need it. Just save the script as an application in the startup items folder.

bobsie  (op)
Aug 2, 2000, 10:29 PM

Got it, tonymac. Thank you!

I'd never paid any attention to Applescript before. With some trial and error, I adjusted your Applescript to fit my need. Now I have nine partition icons plus the trash neatly arranged along the side of my screen. A side benefit is that the icons from both drives are mingled to my liking.

Yeah, I know. Someone's gonna say, "Why so many partitions?" Well, I had 5 in the original 9 gig drive. I just added a 45 gig drive with 4 partitions. I'll probably trim that 9 gig drive down to 3, with the system in about one gig - room aplenty for a clean install.

Now that I got my feet wet with Applescript, I'll look into that some more.

-- bobsie

asxless
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2000, 12:25 AM

tonymac,

I use this style script in OS 8.6 where it works fine but... it doesn't seem to work in OS 9.0.4. I get an error message "This window is the wrong kind (e.g. pop-up vs normal) to use this command". Any ideas?

asxless

nevermind... I found the answer. This is a bug that requires you to turn off "snap to grid" prior to moving the icons. There is a good sample script to do this automatically in the Applescript forum.

[This message has been edited by asxless (edited 08-09-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules