Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Are G5's supposed to burn DVD+R discs?

Are G5's supposed to burn DVD+R discs?
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 01:39 PM

Because mine is right now.

I'm working out in the yard so my eyes weren't adjusted to the darkness in here. The only light is from my monitor. I grabbed a DVD, popped it in, and started the burn w/DiskCopy. Working fine. As I get up to go back out, I see the case said "DVD+R". I thought Apple didn't support them.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 04:07 PM

That's cool! I know for a fact that the DVD burners supplied in Macs are now fully compatible with DVD-R and DVD+R. What I didn't know was that the software supported it. I thought you'd have to get Toast or some other burning program in order to burn to DVD+R.

I have a multi-format DVD+/-R drive myself, but I have never really seen any reason to buy DVD+R media. I don't understand how it's functionally different from DVD-R.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 08:11 PM

Well, that's my point - I didn't think it WAS supported, and I accidentally tried. I don't want people going out buying DVD+R because of this. I was using my G5's internal drive, not a third party drive.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

unregistered
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Well, that's my point - I didn't think it WAS supported, and I accidentally tried. I don't want people going out buying DVD+R because of this. I was using my G5's internal drive, not a third party drive.

Mike
See Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatu...essionals.html

search for +R on the page.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by unregistered:
See Apple's site:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatu...essionals.html

search for +R on the page.
That doesn't mention anything about Apple Macintosh machines recording DVD+/-R/RW. It mentions that Panther will support DVD burning via external multi-format burners attached to your Mac.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

unregistered
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by hldan:
That doesn't mention anything about Apple Macintosh machines recording DVD+/-R/RW. It mentions that Panther will support DVD burning via external multi-format burners attached to your Mac.
My response quoted the wrong message. What my response was meant to refer to was the statement from a different message above stating:

I know for a fact that the DVD burners supplied in Macs are now fully compatible with DVD-R and DVD+R. What I didn't know was that the software supported it

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 09:46 AM

Is this the latest gen machines, or does this apply also to the first gen G5s?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by driven:
Is this the latest gen machines, or does this apply also to the first gen G5s?
My first gen dual 1.8 doesn't recognize +R. But then again, I'm using a Pioneer DVR-106 that didn't come with my G5.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 11:17 PM

My first generation G5 (early model Dual 2.0 with the stock 4x Pioneer DVR-106) works just fine with DVD+R and DVD+RW. Right after 10.3 came out and included support for the "+" formats, I bought a DVD+RW to try.

Reads/writes data just perfectly via the Finder. +R/+RW is not supported in the iApps, however.

G5 users (and late model iMacs & eMacs) can use the "+" format DVDs with MacOS X 10.3 if they wish, but for now only in the Finder (or via Toast). At least its handy for those of us who exchange data with PC users frequently...

metfoo
Jul 7, 2004, 04:55 PM

i have a first gen G5, and it has always burned a +R and +RW disk without any issues. It has the A06 drive mechanism
See my mac mini at http://ribitch.com/mini/

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2004, 10:45 AM

My first Gen 2'0 ghz G5 with the pioneer didn't start to burn DVD+R until after the 10.3.3 update. Wouldn't do it before that jsut gave me an unrecognized media error. Since it has supported it I have burned 10 to 20 DVD+r's only because I got a spindle that was marked wrong and got a great price on it. Usually the DVD-R media is cheaper, at least for me.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by southtdi:
My first Gen 2'0 ghz G5 with the pioneer didn't start to burn DVD+R until after the 10.3.3 update. Wouldn't do it before that jsut gave me an unrecognized media error. Since it has supported it I have burned 10 to 20 DVD+r's only because I got a spindle that was marked wrong and got a great price on it. Usually the DVD-R media is cheaper, at least for me.
DVD-R has become considerably cheaper as of late.
(Also: DVD-R media seems to work in all of my DVD players whereas the DVD+R will not.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules