Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How does Apple decide which theme to use?

How does Apple decide which theme to use?
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 01:00 PM

I know this is a pointless topic, but I just have to know.

So how does Apple choose between Aqua and Brushed Metal when designing its apps? I first thought that only "iApps" had the brushed metal look, but then Address Book has it. By my count: all iApps, Address Book and Calculator are brushed metal, while Mail and Sherlock 3 are aqua.

Are they just shooting from the hip here or is there a pattern?

RedStarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 01:10 PM

The take a developer by his feet and toss him up into the air and what ever side he lands on face-up/face-down is how they make that particular decision.

mattyd
Senior User
Dec 10, 2002, 01:15 PM

i could be wrong, but i think that apple's interface design guides specified that brushed metal (or "textured" as they call it) is not necessarily for iApps, but for digital hub apps -- meaning apps that interact with externally connected devices (mp3 players for iTunes, video cameras for iMovie, etc.). they all seem to fit this EXCEPT for iChat. but, hook up a web cam to iChat and add video conferencing capabilities (which seems pretty likely, maybe iChat 2?) and then it fits, too.

Originally posted by surfacto:
I know this is a pointless topic, but I just have to know.

So how does Apple choose between Aqua and Brushed Metal when designing its apps? I first thought that only "iApps" had the brushed metal look, but then Address Book has it. By my count: all iApps, Address Book and Calculator are brushed metal, while Mail and Sherlock 3 are aqua.

Are they just shooting from the hip here or is there a pattern?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2002, 01:38 PM

Officially it goes like this:

- first the developers decide which looks cooler
- then marketing flips a coin
- out of that they build a suggestion for Steve
- if Steve just used his B&O stereo he decides for Brushed Metal
- then the UI team has to invent some rule for the Aqua guidelines to cover the decision
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 01:42 PM

Steve Jobs has a pet monkey. The developers have to give the monkey a bunch of bananas before designing the UI of a new app.

If the monkey is unhappy with the bunch of bananas, he throws poop at the developers and they build a brushed metal app.

If the monkey is pleased with the bunch of bananas, the developers are each given a golden thimble and they build an Aqua app.

Then they all dance and Steve Jobs watches and claps his hands in glee.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 02:06 PM

According to Apple, BrushedMetal is only supposed to be used on apps which interact with or mimic real-world devices.

Mind you, even they don't follow this rule (iChat, anyone?) But that's supposed to be the deciding factor, anyway.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Vanquish
Dec 10, 2002, 02:24 PM

Couldn't it be that iChat mimics the "mouth-device" found on most humans ?

According to Apple, BrushedMetal is only supposed to be used on apps which interact with or mimic real-world devices.

Mind you, even they don't follow this rule (iChat, anyone?) But that's supposed to be the deciding factor, anyway.
It makes sense for Calculator tough

It all fits, except for ichat and the calculator.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2002, 03:57 PM

ichat mimics a mobile phone i suppose (without the mobile part in most cases hehe)

strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 04:04 PM

I was watching a user interface session (I think it was session 002) on ADC TV yesterday and they were talking about the brushed metal interfaces. And the guy that was talking about it said that it is used when the app is a single window application (ie iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, iCal, etc). Then he mentioned that if you take a look at the preferences or other windows for the application, they are all fully Aqua, not brushed metal. Anyway, hope that helps!

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by strategem9:
brushed metal [...] is used when the app is a single window application (ie iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, iCal, etc).
Can't be. iTunes isn't a single window application. Neither is iChat or QuickTime Player.
( Last edited by Developer; Dec 10, 2002 at 04:26 PM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 04:23 PM

I was watching a user interface session (I think it was session 002) on ADC TV yesterday and they were talking about the brushed metal interfaces. And the guy that was talking about it said that it is used when the app is a single window application (ie iTunes, iChat, iPhoto, iCal, etc). Then he mentioned that if you take a look at the preferences or other windows for the application, they are all fully Aqua, not brushed metal.
iTunes has two brushed windows (iTunes and Equalizer), and Quicktime Player is certainly not a single-window application.

I think it's fair to say that it all depends on how high the interface guys are the day the app is designed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 04:24 PM

Here's where I got the information...

User Experience: Adopting Aqua
Tuesday, 10:30 a.m. Hall 2

Your users expect their applications to behave and feel as if they belong on Mac OS X. Paying attention to user experience related details, mimicking common behaviors, and adopting the new appearance and layout guidelines for Mac OS X helps you deliver an application which meets these expectations. Learn how to adopt Aqua and avoid common errors and oversights.

Anyone that has access to the ADC can view it. Just click on the View ADC TV link, and its under the WWDC 2002 Sampler. Starting at 31 minutes into the video is where you can hear him talking about the Brushed Metal look.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2002, 04:26 PM

I've never used more then one window in itunes so it's a single window app for me. iChat is one window ( and then a window here, one over there and if someone wants to chat...)
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 04:28 PM

Here's where I got the information...
Oh, I'm sure they actually said it. I'm just sayin' they're full of ****.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 04:34 PM

Just watched it, and here are the 3 guidelines that they give. Apps in parens are just an example.

1. For single-window applications. (iTunes)
2. For "real-world" devices (QuickTime Player)
3. For main window only (iCal)

Anyway, I'm done...

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2002, 04:41 PM

Apple's reasoning for the textured/metal window has shifted back and forth. It's currently stated as representing real-world devices (DVD Player, Calculator) and relating to digital media / digital hub concept (iTunes, iPhoto, etc) with a unspoken factor of the textured window aiding in creating a simple, easy-to-use one-window app.

I'm sure their logic on this will continue to... evolve.

I like the S.J.'s monkey explanation best.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2002, 04:44 PM

It is obvious that they had to write the guideline after the fact, so they gave one *) that applies to any app.

*)
Either:
- has a single main window (System Preferences, Disk Utility, Sherlock, Chess)
- mimics a physical device (TextEdit, Key Caps, Clock)
- connects to a digital device (Print Center, Internet Connection, Image Capture)
- holds data shared with a digital device (Finder)

iChat is probably an app that least fits into one of these categories yet still it has the Brushed Metal appearance.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 12:12 AM

Just watched it, and here are the 3 guidelines that they give. Apps in parens are just an example.

1. For single-window applications. (iTunes)

For the last time iTunes is NOT a single-window application!!!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 12:32 AM

Umm...wha?

Gametes
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 01:13 AM

try scaling that down. you're ruingin the thread
you are not your signature

strategem9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 05:24 AM

Watch this video if you want to hear it straight from Apple...

Session 002

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2002, 05:44 PM

I thought backup was the most interesting app in all this. First it was aqua, then it was brushed metal...

Forum Links
Forum Rules