Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook Pro coming soon?

New Macbook Pro coming soon?
mclover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2009, 06:57 AM

I'm in the market of upgrading my 2 year old Macbook to the current Macbook Pro 15" 2.53Ghz. I noticed the price had drop a lot within a week or so. Are there any new models coming out in the Macbook Pro range any time soon?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2009, 12:11 PM

MacBook Pro prices haven't changed at all. Nobody knows when updates will occur but Apple. Rumors usually make their way into the news before it happens, but I haven't seen any about upcoming MBPs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2009, 12:46 PM

chabig, upgrade prices dropped.

I don't think we'll see a MacBook Pro update this year, probably next year in January or February. Depends on when Apple can get a mobile Nahalem into it I suppose.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2009, 01:36 PM

Honest question: What are "upgrade" prices? Apple doesn't take trade-ins.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2009, 03:05 PM

Yes. Intel released mobile Nehalem quads a month ago and mobile Nehalem duals are coming this quarter. I expect an update NLT January.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Honest question: What are "upgrade" prices? Apple doesn't take trade-ins.
More RAM, bigger HD, faster processor. All of those prices dropped last week.

mclover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
MacBook Pro prices haven't changed at all. Nobody knows when updates will occur but Apple. Rumors usually make their way into the news before it happens, but I haven't seen any about upcoming MBPs.
Not sure where you are but here in australia apple had drop the price on 15" MBP's for at least $600 and I even found it cheaper on another authorised reseller which in fact cheaper than student discount. Could it be due to the release of new iMac and Macbook unibody?

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2009, 05:45 PM

I would say yes! Was in the store today and they said the whole line is going towards a 16:9 aspect ratio. So if it isn't already, expect the ACD's and MBP's to soon have 16:9 ratio.

Reason I say is because I queried why the ACD's now don't line up with the new iMacs and they stated because the lineup is al going towards 16:9 Aspect's. Now there's a rumour!!!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2009, 06:56 PM

I don't see moving to 16:9 panels... sure you can advertise smaller display with the same diagonal (cost savings in theory) but the low volume of the panels negates that (and more).

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I don't see moving to 16:9 panels... sure you can advertise smaller display with the same diagonal (cost savings in theory) but the low volume of the panels negates that (and more).
Well, how do you explain the move on the iMacs? Considering the same thing is on the 24" LED Display. At the moment none of the displays will match it apart from the 24" LED Display. This is what I questioned. And he said well that's Apples new thing is 16:9. So if they are planning (not sure) but more than likely to switch the lines to 16:9 which is what was hinted. Then that would include Macbook pros im assuming

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 24, 2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mclover View Post
Are there any new models coming out in the Macbook Pro range any time soon?
There hasn't been any creditable rumors that I have heard which is why I went ahead and got my MBP. I also needed a new laptop sooner rather than later...

Originally Posted by pra9ab0y View Post
And he said well that's Apples new thing is 16:9. So if they are planning (not sure) but more than likely to switch the lines to 16:9 which is what was hinted. Then that would include Macbook pros im assuming
If this is true then I'm glad I went ahead and got my MBP. I'm not really sold on the idea of 16:9 on laptops. Recently I got a chance to use a PC 16:9 laptop and I didn't really like the loss of vertical height. It's not as noticeable on giant iMac screens but on smaller laptop screens it was noticeable.

I don't use my laptop only for movie watching so I prefer to stay with the current 16:10 ratio. Why do we really need the same across the whole lineup? IMO it's better to use what's good for each platform.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
There hasn't been any creditable rumors that I have heard which is why I went ahead and got my MBP. I also needed a new laptop sooner rather than later...

If this is true then I'm glad I went ahead and got my MBP. I'm not really sold on the idea of 16:9 on laptops. Recently I got a chance to use a PC 16:9 laptop and I didn't really like the loss of vertical height. It's not as noticeable on giant iMac screens but on smaller laptop screens it was noticeable.

I don't use my laptop only for movie watching so I prefer to stay with the current 16:10 ratio. Why do we really need the same across the whole lineup? IMO it's better to use what's good for each platform.
Maybe they'll keep laptops how they are and switch the ACD's round? Just a thought as I had asked why the new and old displays hadn't matched. And he hinted how they would probably change the line up.

mclover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2009, 12:04 AM

If i have to wait for another month i guess it will be worth it than buying now and get disappointed. I emailed a friend of mine from Apple hopefully he can give me an answer.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2009, 02:35 AM

Well, how do you explain the move on the iMacs? Considering the same thing is on the 24" LED Display. At the moment none of the displays will match it apart from the 24" LED Display. This is what I questioned. And he said well that's Apples new thing is 16:9. So if they are planning (not sure) but more than likely to switch the lines to 16:9 which is what was hinted. Then that would include Macbook pros im assuming
It's unusual. Perhaps targeting them at viewing iTMS and other HD content (BR could have been pulled at the last minute if the rumors about its inclusion were correct).

The 24" display is 8:5.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2009, 06:30 AM

The MBP will be updated once Arrandale arrives (Q4) since the MBP won't go quad-core across the board. Looks like MWSF, IOW Feb 9.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The MBP will be updated once Arrandale arrives (Q4) since the MBP won't go quad-core across the board. Looks like MWSF, IOW Feb 9.
I want a quad 13" dammit! (Fat chance, eh?, not before 2011?)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2009, 06:49 AM

The iMac is pitched as a home entertainment/digital hub/media center machine.

IOW, the future of your TV.

Hence, 16:9.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I want a quad 13" dammit! (Fat chance, eh?, not before 2011?)
The 13" will never see Clarksfield. But the 32 nm quads will eventually find their way into the 13". So yeah, you're looking at 2011.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2009, 07:07 AM

oh. I was led to believe at the store that th LED Display was 16:9. Anyway... we'll see what happens! You can never trust apple with these things. and if you keep holding out you will end up never buying! Like me. I waited until I thought I was safe. Bought an iPod and then a week later new ones were out! Luckily with desktops/laptops I am not too bothered about having the latest greatest. I want something that fits my needs and performs well! Not something to boast about although that is a nice touch too...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2009, 07:19 AM

Well, to be fair, the iPods have been on a September/October yearly upgrade cycle for at least the past five years - the single exception AFAICR being the slight capacity bump in the iPod touch early last year.

pra9ab0y
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Well, to be fair, the iPods have been on a September/October yearly upgrade cycle for at least the past five years - the single exception AFAICR being the slight capacity bump in the iPod touch early last year.
Blah! some people don't have time to notice things like that!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2009, 08:58 AM

Days Since Update 139 (Avg = 200)
Macbook Pro was updated on the following dates:
6/2009
10/2008
2/2008
6/2007
10/2006
4/2006
1/2006
10/2005
1/2005
4/2004
9/2003
1/2003
11/2002

I'd guess the next update isn't coming for a 3-4 months, at least.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Oct 25, 2009 at 09:08 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2009, 10:15 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2009, 04:47 AM

Perhaps a different aftershave is in order?

P
Oct 26, 2009, 05:02 AM

To all of you who say that the prices didn't move: Some international prices DID move at the same time as the iMac/mini update (adjusting for currency variations), but that rather implies that there is no update coming any time soon. If the update was next week, why adjust the prices? No, I think the update is coming early this spring - February-March or thereabouts - and that the white Macbook is staying with Penryn+9400M for a while longer.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mclover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2009, 06:47 AM

which is why i ask why was the price dropped. are they trying to get rid of the current stocks to make way for the new or upgraded models? hopefully it will be anytime soon...
( Last edited by mclover; Oct 26, 2009 at 08:54 AM. )

P
Oct 26, 2009, 09:42 AM

If they were trying to clear out stocks with a price cut, then:

1) That would be the first time ever.
2) Why wouldn't they reduce prices in the US, which is their biggest market?

Also note that if the update comes before Christmas, it will have to come this week or the next. Apple never updates anything later than the beginning of November, and the last November updates were minor bumps. We're talking a major redesign of half the line here.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
No, I think the update is coming early this spring - February-March or thereabouts - and that the white Macbook is staying with Penryn+9400M for a while longer.
I agree with the timing of this assessment.

If you are someone who hates buying something only to have it be superseded within a month, then wait until a revision comes along.

mclover  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2009, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
If you are someone who hates buying something only to have it be superseded within a month, then wait until a revision comes along.
That's the whole point of this thread to find out if anyone has any info for an upcoming product.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Days Since Update 139 (Avg = 200)
Macbook Pro was updated on the following dates:
6/2009
10/2008
2/2008
6/2007
10/2006
4/2006
1/2006
10/2005
1/2005
4/2004
9/2003
1/2003
11/2002

I'd guess the next update isn't coming for a 3-4 months, at least.
Based on past release dates it does seem like Apple likes 6-7 month cycles. This means sometime around January might be the expected date.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 06:56 PM

Apple says today no more updates for the rest of the year.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 27, 2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple says today no more updates for the rest of the year.
Here is the article I found that you probably are referring to. What's interesting is that Apple had to call them and correct the statement to say, "the holiday lineup is set". Apple just seems to like being mysterious don't they.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 08:52 PM

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thanks for posting the link, I was too lazy

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2009, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple says today NO! More updates for the rest of the year!
Maybe it was misquoted?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2009, 08:54 AM

^^^ The actual quote was "The holiday lineup is set". Gizmodo says there still might be an Apple Busty Ninja Cyborg released before Xmas, as it would be a professional product, and not a traditional consumer Xmas product.

I would say yes! Was in the store today and they said the whole line is going towards a 16:9 aspect ratio. So if it isn't already, expect the ACD's and MBP's to soon have 16:9 ratio.

Reason I say is because I queried why the ACD's now don't line up with the new iMacs and they stated because the lineup is al going towards 16:9 Aspect's. Now there's a rumour!!!
Worst rumour ever. Apple's and other retail stores' sales drones know even less than we do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Gizmodo says there still might be an Apple Busty Ninja Cyborg released before Xmas, as it would be a professional product, and not a traditional consumer Xmas product.
Hehe. That sooo smells of wishful thinking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules