Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powermac g4 and airport.....

powermac g4 and airport.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 02:06 PM

I have one of the early powermac g4's that I use now and again when I need to boot up in OS9

But I'm not sure if my model accepts an airport card

where do I need to check to see if it accepts one or not?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 02:15 PM

checkout this website to locate your specific model. if it can accommodate an Airport Card, it will tell you.
Apple Power Macintosh G4 Quicksilver/Quicksilver 2002 Links @ EveryMac.com

reader50
Administrator
Jun 17, 2010, 02:16 PM

All AGP PowerMacs accept an AirPort card. In your case, it is an original AirPort 802.11b card. It slides into a carrier forward/under the PCI bay, in the front of the motherboard.

You may do better with a PCI card. That would give you 802.11g at the very least, preferably 802.11n. 'b is pretty slow today.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
All AGP PowerMacs accept an AirPort card. In your case, it is an original AirPort 802.11b card. It slides into a carrier forward/under the PCI bay, in the front of the motherboard.

You may do better with a PCI card. That would give you 802.11g at the very least, preferably 802.11n. 'b is pretty slow today.
This is not to mention that if you use 802.11b, you slow down every machine on your network down to 11Mbps shared among them. That's less than ideal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules