Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Swatch says it plans to fight Apple 'iWatch' trademarks

Swatch says it plans to fight Apple 'iWatch' trademarks
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 5, 2014, 09:36 AM

A representative for Swatch says that the company will attempt to block Apple attempts to trademark the "iWatch" name, according to Watson. The Swiss watchmaker has an "iSwatch" line of watches, and claims that Apple calling its product the iWatch could cause confusion. US filings indicate that Swatch has blocked attempts by other entities to trademark "iWatch" in the past.

Apple is believed to be using shell companies to register the iWatch trademark around the world, in preparation for a device launch later this year. Swatch's efforts could potentially force Apple to change the product's name, but a more likely outcome is a business agreement that will allow Apple to proceed. In 2007 Cisco briefly filed a lawsuit against Apple over the term "iPhone," which the former had been using for VoIP phones. The two quickly settled out of court though, and both companies retained rights to the iPhone name, although the Cisco line had already been rebranded.

burger
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 10:09 AM

Really, iSwatch.... where did you come up with that clever naming convention?

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2014, 10:11 AM

Yeah and where did the Swatch company got the "i" idea from? iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS? iSwatch confuses itself with Apple iDevices by naming itself iSwatch to begin with. iLooser.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2014, 10:19 AM

mgpalma
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 10:45 AM

Nobody is going to confuse Apple products with that hideous monstrosity....
-
Michael

slapppy
May 5, 2014, 11:40 AM

As the comments above shows, only a clueless Apple Hating Drone will believe that Swatch came up with the "i" in iSwatch with zero influence from Apple "i" product names. lol

wrenchy
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
Yeah and where did the Swatch company got the "i" idea from? iMac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS? iSwatch confuses itself with Apple iDevices by naming itself iSwatch to begin with. iLooser.
Wow, has everyone forgotten where the "iPhone" name originally came from??
It was created by a company called Infogear later purchased by Linksys/Cisco. iPhone meaning internet or internet protocol phone was the FIRST to be on the market.

Apple saw it fit to steal the name and later attempt negotiations with Cisco after they got caught.

Short iMemories around here.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2014, 01:24 PM

wrenchy, as much as I hate to question your logic (= it's usually pointless):

Get your own iMemory back in action and think about where Linksys/Cisco got the inspiration for that name. Hmmm... maybe the iMac, all the way back to '98? In your own words, the i "meaning internet or internet protocol". If that doesn't work for you, how about iBook, iPod, iLife, iWork, i- you name it. It all predates the term "iPhone".

Back to you, sparky.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
Back to you, sparky.
InfoGear Technology Corporation, founded in 1995. Released the iPhone 1998.
Are we going to see what month who released what? How about the minutes and seconds?????????
Me first! Mee first!!

Remember a while back when those iMoron's at Apple tried to trademark the letter 'i'? Sorry to break this to you but Apple does not own the letter "i". It was just one of those silly "I must own everything with the letter i" iNfatuations that Stevie-boi had. Not getting it.

Back to YOU oh brilliant one.

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2014, 02:48 PM

You know what I keep wondering? You seem to have this passionate deep-seated hate for everything concerning Apple, and yet you take so much time out of your day to frequent this site. Is that some kind of masochistic sex thing? Does it give you pleasure to relish in the thought how much you despise Stevie-boi and all those iMorons (no apostrophe here, sparky) at Apple?

Oh well, trying to make sense of a troll's brain. I shouldn't have started it.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jeronimo2000 View Post
You seem to have this passionate deep-seated hate for everything concerning Apple,
I don't hate Apple. My first computer was an Apple and I loved it. I would buy an Apple computer anytime.
If certain members of this community would back off on their superiority complex and stop saying this like this:

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
and stop assuming that Apple invented everything good under the sun and is infallible, I would have less of an urge to smack them down.

Love wrenchy.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
May 5, 2014, 03:41 PM

Ah wrenchy,if it weren't for your timely reminders here the silly iBoys would think the whole universe was dreamed up by dear old Stevy... Somehow the iFans are specially prone to the effects of the reality distortion field...

Take care old fruiend, and keep up the good work!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
InfoGear Technology Corporation, founded in 1995. Released the iPhone 1998.
Are we going to see what month who released what? How about the minutes and seconds?????????
Me first! Mee first!!

Remember a while back when those iMoron's at Apple tried to trademark the letter 'i'? Sorry to break this to you but Apple does not own the letter "i". It was just one of those silly "I must own everything with the letter i" iNfatuations that Stevie-boi had. Not getting it.

Back to YOU oh brilliant one.
Interesting about the 1998 iPhone. I didn't realize it was concurrent with the original iMac.

I think it's rather difficult to argue, however, the the name "iSwatch", which was registered in 2008 IIRC, is anything but derivative of Apple's naming scheme, which by that time was WELL established and even (I hate the tired and overused word, but it fits): "iconic".

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 5, 2014, 05:32 PM

As usual, Spheric is right and the troll (+ his sock puppet) are wrong.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Grendelmon
Senior User
May 6, 2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
As usual, Spheric is right and the troll (+ his sock puppet) are wrong.
While I agree with your "troll" statement applying to "most of the time," this case does not. Wrenchy was not "trolling", he was schooling. When I see bullshit, I try to call it out as well.

Sometimes even I roll my eyes at these comments; the Kool-Aid runs strong on this site.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2014, 10:07 AM

He did, however, imply that the iSwatch brand might have been created independently of Apple's marketing. Which is, mildly put, a stretch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules