Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 2's Cellular Service Stuck on "Searching..."

iPad 2's Cellular Service Stuck on "Searching..."
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2014, 06:21 PM

We recently updated my wife's iPad 2 to iOS 8.1.1 (from 7.1.2) (via connection to iTunes). Since then, she's had no cell service (Verizon). Upper left corner just says, "Searching..." Apparently, this is fairly common with iOS 8, though my iPad 2 updated with no problems.

I've searched extensively and have tried all of the typical troubleshooting tips from Apple and elsewhere (short of a complete restoration via iTunes). Is this something we can expect (hope!) to be fixed in an upcoming update?

Any advice?

Thanks!

ibook_steve
Dec 2, 2014, 07:16 PM

Ouch. Maybe you can detail what you've tried so far so we don't repeat what you've already tried, i.e. power cycling, force rebooting, settings toggles, etc.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2014, 07:31 PM

Ah yes, the Apple Support page I referred to is here. So far, I've tried ...

Toggle airplane mode
Restart iPad
Check for a Carrier Settings Update
Reset network settings

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 3, 2014, 09:06 PM

Have you spoken with Verizon about this? I wonder if it's really a network (or SIM card/configuration) problem instead of an iPad problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2014, 09:48 PM

I haven't, but I suppose it's worth a try. It just seemed fairly common based on reports at Apple Discussions. However, with the other problem she's having, which I posted here, something is clearly going on that's not right.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2014, 01:37 PM

Okay, I finally did some checking with Verizon and they suggest restoring the device through iTunes.

I've read Apple's instructions, but it sends you to another page with info about restoring from backup. I want to make sure I do everything properly not lose anything. Anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 13, 2014, 11:53 PM

Just do a full backup before you do anything else. Is Verizon talking about a "full restore" (i.e. to factory condition), or just restoring a recent backup? Were they clear on this?

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2014, 07:09 PM

They pointed me to the Apple Support page, Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings but said to be sure to do a backup beforehand so as not to lose any info.

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2014, 10:00 PM

That's what I thought they meant. Don't be impatient with this...it could take a while, first to restore to factory, then to restore your backup.

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2014, 01:42 PM

THANKS for all of the help!

I finally got around to working on this and after restoring as new, then restoring the backup, cellular service has returned. And, very early on, battery usage seems to be pretty normal, so far.

I did encounter a couple of error messages along the way (couldn't sync photos when I connected iPad before backing up) and when I clicked "Restore iPad" it couldn't connect to the server). But I was able to find solutions via Google, and eventually got it all done in around 2-3 hoursI believe. All in all, it wasn't too bad, though.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules