Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Turning iPad data plan on/off

Turning iPad data plan on/off
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2010, 05:22 PM

I got a wifi iPad a bit ago and I think iPad is enough computer to take with me on the road for light web surfing, etc. So I was thinking about replacing it with a 3G model to make it truly road-worthy.

Thing is, I don't want the extra fee every month when I'm not on the road. So, what's the deal with how often you can activate/deactivate the data service? If I'm going to be gone for a weekend can I do just the weekend? Can I pay for just a week or a month? Is there an activation fee for when you start the plan?

ImpulseResponse

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2010, 05:59 PM

AFAIK, you pay by month, no smaller increments.

I assume you turn it on/off by adding or dropping that feature on the AT&T website.

-t

Thunderbird
Senior User
Aug 11, 2010, 11:11 AM

It's a month by month plan, pay as you go. You can manage your account from the iPad. I signed up for one month when I was travelling, then I cancelled so it wouldn't renew for the next month. It's pretty simple and flexible. There is no activation fee, so you can turn it on and off as you please.

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2010, 08:11 AM

Is it as simple as going into SETTINGS, then into CELLULAR DATA and clicking the CELLULAR DATA button to OFF? Or do you have to go into VIEW ACCOUNT and then do something?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Forum Links
Forum Rules