Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I return my imac g5

Should I return my imac g5
Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2005, 02:32 PM

I just spent 1500 on a new iMac. With the intel rumors floating around I am worried about opening up the box. If the rumors are true I want to return this. I dont want to get stuck with a 1500 dollar pc thats obsolete in 2 years.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stolfi1
I just spent 1500 on a new iMac. With the intel rumors floating around I am worried about opening up the box. If the rumors are true I want to return this. I dont want to get stuck with a 1500 dollar pc thats obsolete in 2 years.
I wondering the same thing, too. Unfortunately, I opened my box several hours before the rumours started flying. I kept telling myself, "Wait until Monday, wait until Monday." I should've waited.

belafonte
Jun 5, 2005, 04:29 PM

what rumors?

notalent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 06:22 PM

These rumors:

http://www.macnn.com

belafonte
Jun 5, 2005, 06:46 PM

oh those rumors, i thought you meant the other rumors

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 06:46 PM

I have a better chance of nailing Catherine Bell than this rumor has coming true. And believe me, I wouldn't mind that one. The Catherine Bell thing. Screw Intel.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 07:19 PM

I dont want to get stuck with a 1500 dollar pc thats obsolete in 2 years.
Then don't buy a freakin' computer

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 09:12 PM

First off, the intel rumors are bollocks. Secondly, even if they were true, you're imac would be just as useful two years from now.

Say apple does announce they're completely changing architecture tomorrow, are you going to wait the 2 years until the intel machines are available?

Open the box, enjoy your new iMac, sleep easy tonight.

ImpulseResponse

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2005, 10:43 PM

If you think that the switch (if it IS real) would occur fast enough to obsolete your machine in 2 years, you are crazy.

Open it. Use it and enjoy it. But by AppleCare. Those capacitors inside will explode on day 366 once you do.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 12:31 AM

This is exactly why rumors and rumor sites are bad things.™

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 01:28 AM

Do whatever you want to do you effin crybaby...

virtualmullet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:43 AM

Computers are already obsolete every 2 years.

Rowen7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 05:16 AM

I ordered the previous generation refurbished iMac. I am already out of date with the stock 1.8Ghz G5. In all honesty, it works. So does the 600mhz Celeron Hp my father uses he pulled out of the neighbor's trash. The only time I have ever recommended someone to return an apple due to new technology was a professor who got a powerbook. They upgraded the line within 14 days.

My theory is, if its years down the road and you can wait... feel free to, there will be more rumors to have you wait longer.

As for the imac I ordered, I am getting applecare today. Though i've never done it, I've seen friends litterally destroy their computers within applecare's TOS and get new ones.
Black & White Powermac G3 / 600mhz G4 / 512mb ram / Zip 100MB / 40gb 7200 Maxtor / Belkin USB 2.0 5-Port / Pioneer DVR-108 16x DVD-Burner / ATI Rage128 with DVD-Decoder / Painted and Modified.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by MichiganRich
Do whatever you want to do you effin crybaby...
He does have a point though. Most Mac users keep their computers around for years. When apple released Tiger, they said no more major updates for 2 years. People that bought after he said that could probably get a huge class action lawsuit going against apple if they dropped support for the Mac side.

Virtual Mullet, this 3 year old iMac can still use any of today's software, can burn and create cd's and dvd's, and just about anything else besides playing HD and recent games. I would call it anything but obsolete. I see no reason to buy another computer for at least another 2 years unless I decide to get an iBook or Media Center PC.

This Macintel rumor is one of the dumbest to get picked up in some time though, so I wouldn't really worry about it. Although I just noticed how well Macintosh and Intel go together, maybe there is something to the rumor after all.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 05:46 AM

I dunno, I really think this will happen. I reckon Steve will announce something at WWDC. Apple is frustrated with IBM's inability to provide faster processors of late. They promised 3.0ghz procssors long ago, but still the fastest they have come up with is 2.7ghz.

Intel will be able to provide this speed, and at a very good price.

I thought this would happen weeks ago, and still bought a new iMac G5 last monday. To think that your new mac will be "obsolete" in 2 years is nonsense. In maybe 3 years time it would be worth thinking about switching to an Intel-based Mac, but even then PowerPC-based ones would be far from "obsolete".

This is just paranoia. Anyone who thinks this far ahead would simply NEVER buy a computer.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by virtualmullet
Computers are already obsolete every 2 years.
According to whom? My Macs have been usable far longer than that. And to everyone who blames the rumor sites, it wasn't their fault this time. The major publications broke this "story," and today Jobs will have to handle the consequences.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 06:09 AM

I would buy a Mac because I want to use OS X.

If OS X ran on an Intel chip, or a stick of celery, I would still use a Mac.

For what it's worth, I don't believe Apple will be using Intel chips in their computers. Perhaps in another device.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 10:47 AM

Check to see if the capacitors are leaking already like mine were, you may be returning it anyway!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

MsLibby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 12:55 PM

Forgive me, I'm not the best with computers, but if this is true (and it looks like it is, the NY Times is reporting that Industry executives were told over the weekend) what does it mean for the older Macs. I'm thinking of buying an iBook. Will I not be able to find software for it two years down the line? the new Intel Macs are to hit the market in 2006.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:10 PM

OK, I was wrong. Intel is here, but my recommendation stands. Use the iMac, PPC will be good for 4+ years, and you'll probably be looking for a new computer in that time range anyway. Any PC you get now for $1500 will need to be replaced in 2 years now anyway. Might as well have OS X between now and then rather than XP.

If you don't want to pay for a computer that will be obsolete in 2 years, buy an abacus or a sliderule.

ImpulseResponse

cameronx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MsLibby
Forgive me, I'm not the best with computers, but if this is true (and it looks like it is, the NY Times is reporting that Industry executives were told over the weekend) what does it mean for the older Macs. I'm thinking of buying an iBook. Will I not be able to find software for it two years down the line? the new Intel Macs are to hit the market in 2006.
Go with the iBook, if you have need of one. A lot of people are saying that we'll be good for about 4-5 years on the PowerPC processors, and I think it might even be longer than that. The whole "universal binary" thing seems to be good for allowing software to be developed easily for both platforms. Also, the switch won't be all at once. They'll probably start small, like in the mac mini line like the News.com story on Friday suggested. In any case, I just bought an iMac G5, and am looking forward to using it for quite a while.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:05 PM

Good point; the abacus has been around in China since the 12th century A.D. or so; uptime as a collective computing unit far exceeds that of the modern CPU.

Originally Posted by GSixZero
If you don't want to pay for a computer that will be obsolete in 2 years, buy an abacus or a sliderule.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 05:08 PM

In my humble opinion...

NOTHING OF THE REAL DYNAMIC BETWEEN APPLE AND THEIR CUSTOMERS HAS CHANGED.

Your options, though different because the names and faces may be different, have ALWAYS been this: UPGRADE OR DIE.

Apple is going to force you you buy more stuff whether you like it or not. You've probably been pacified by new features, functions or form factor when they've done it before but it's always been that way. It's just what they do. You just haven't noticed it.

Whether it's market driven or technology driven, if you try standing still without buying or upgrading for about 2 years or so you will find your system slowly becoming obsolete.

Surprise!

President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I have a better chance of nailing Catherine Bell than this rumor has coming true. And believe me, I wouldn't mind that one. The Catherine Bell thing. Screw Intel.
Watch out Catherine Bell because His Dudeness is coming

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 05:56 PM

It would be idiocy for any software manufacturer to isolate the existing mac user base by compiling an app for Intel only. They'd paint themselves into supporting the number of Mac/Intel machines that had shipped to date at the expense of every G3/4/5 that had ever shipped. I very seriously doubt any of us is going to find any bit of kit obsolete for the next five years (with the exception of run-of-the-mill feature bloat....)

Open your iMac and enjoy it. By the time you have to upgrade it, it'll be too slow to run iTunes 13.4 and you'll be ready for a new mac anyway.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
Watch out Catherine Bell because His Dudeness is coming

Hey, you're right!!! Woo hoo! Catherine, baby, here I come!!!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 10:45 AM

instead of reading half a rumour you should read the other half too. everything will be backward compatible so what are you whining about. dumbass.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 05:26 AM

I dont want to get stuck with a 1500 dollar pc thats obsolete in 2 years.
Pardon my ignorance, but why a G5 iMac will be obsolete in 2 years?

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 05:36 AM

I wondered that. Being realistic it probably won't work but it won't be obsolete

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by MsLibby
Will I not be able to find software for it two years down the line? the new Intel Macs are to hit the market in 2006.
When the Intel transition will be completed (end 2007), the Intel-based Macs will represent a tiny percentage of the installed Mac user base. Apple and developers just cannot suddenly stop producing and selling software for PowerPC architecture by then. Because if they suddenly dropped PowerPC support, what will do the 99.5% of the existing Mac users? It does not make sense, no matter how you look at it.

So, if you want to see PowerPC software dissapear, wait AT LEAST 5 years from now. Probably more.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
When the Intel transition will be completed (end 2007), the Intel-based Macs will represent a tiny percentage of the installed Mac user base. Apple and developers just cannot suddenly stop producing and selling software for PowerPC architecture by then. Because if they suddenly dropped PowerPC support, what will do the 99.5% of the existing Mac users? It does not make sense, no matter how you look at it.

So, if you want to see PowerPC software dissapear, wait AT LEAST 5 years from now. Probably more.
yes, very nice stand point!
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

logos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.

Ah...a voice of reason in the black, cacophonous wilderness.

experimental
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 03:58 AM

Just make sure you have applecare with that iMac...... after a few months, many users report all kinds of things going bump in the night. It feels much better with a little insurance on these awesome babies.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2005, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by experimental
Just make sure you have applecare with that iMac...... after a few months, many users report all kinds of things going bump in the night. It feels much better with a little insurance on these awesome babies.
I think you mean 'bulge' in the night

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
I think you mean 'bulge' in the night
I thought that happened in the morning...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I thought that happened in the morning...
Heh, I cured mine with a firmware patch.

/groans

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Heh, I cured mine with a firmware patch.

/groans
ROFL!

As a side note, it was interesting looking at the first dozen or so posts on this topic. Everyone was saying that it was a ridiculous rumor and anyone who believed it was an idiot. I don't bring this up to make fun of people who thought it was a stupid hoax, but to point out how unlikely it seemed at the time and how shocking it really is.

italiano
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 03:31 PM

I'm in love with my Imac (G5 - 1.8 - 20" - Revision A)... I have 3 years of warranty and after 1 month so far so good - if it breaks I'll have it fixed as it's an awesome computer that I fell in love with from day 1...
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules