Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 30 Gig TravelStar drive only $141

30 Gig TravelStar drive only $141
skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2001, 10:27 PM

Found this on www.pbzone.com

GoogleGear has the 30Gig travelstar drive for $141.
http://www.googlegear.com/ggweb/jsp/...uctCode=100534

MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by skyman:
<STRONG>Found this on www.pbzone.com

</STRONG>
Just pushing this back to the top.

YongHeun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2001, 08:15 PM

I have been thinking about upgrading my pismo from 12GB to 30GB or 48GB. Your information helps me make a decision with ease.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2001, 01:52 AM

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>www.dealnn.com</STRONG>

I prefer www.dealmac.com

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 12:00 AM

are travelstars the best HD? i'm thinking of putting one into my ti400

and on that note, how would i go about doing that.....i'll get the drive....should i let someone else install it? and then what about the OS....should i boot it up from the OS CD, and then do a complete install??? is it this easy?? is it going to **** up my computer (hope not)?

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 12:02 AM

i installed the ram on my own (yikes!), but the HD is another issue....thoughts?

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Dec 20, 2001, 03:39 AM

if you're saying yikes to swapping out the top ram module, then replacing the hard drive will probably give you a hard attack. but it's easier than replacing the bottom ram module, because for the hard drive you only need a screwdriver (well, maybe a torx wrench, but they're basically the same), you don't have to unplug anything.

for background, those three (the 2 ram slots and the hard drive) are the only things I've done to my pismo, and I'm not certified to do any of them (but I've done each at least 4 times).

before you start, you should see this page
http://www.info.apple.com/support/cip/pbfwcip.html

it looks like replacing the hard drive might void your warranty, but just don't tell anyone you did it.

This is the way I do it (from memory, so it might be a little off). Use a flat-head screwdriver to get the guards on the sides of the drive to slide out past the plastic body of the powerbook (if necessary; my guards might have become a little misshapen over the years). The hard drive and it's seat will be attached by a ribbon cable that goes under the processor card. I leave that in, but I think apple advises taking it out, which involves taking out the whole processor card, which is why I leave it in (but I kinda have to hunch over the powerbook). anyway, all you do is remove four screws, two from each side of the drive, and the drive will slide right out. Now, these screws are not part of the drive itself, they are extra. Just look at the new drive to see which screws don't belong (they point inwards along the same plane as the drive). On my powerbook, the screws are torx screws (it's a little star, instead of the phillips head plus sign). Just put the new drive where the old one was and the do everything in reverse to put it all back together.

the first time I had to replace the drive, I went to my Apple authorized reseller early in the morning, smiled a lot and opened up the keyboard right in front of the technician. It really is such an easy procedure that he couldn't resist doing it for me, and then he didn't have the heart to charge me $60 for 5 minutes labor. It's much easier once you've seen it done, I'll bet.

Just follow the safety precautions on that apple page. Unplug the power and the battery, and make sure you're grounded.

Yes, you will have to boot from the cd afterwards, and initialize the new hard drive, then install the OS.
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Dec 20, 2001, 03:43 AM

sorry about that last post; I have a pismo, and I just finished reading another post about pismos. for your machine, the link is here
http://www.info.apple.com/support/cip/pbg4cip.html

but you get the idea
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2001, 05:02 AM

i won't be touching any IBM drives from now on. The 6GB drive currently in my Pismo is louder than any of my previous desktop Macs.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2001, 06:12 PM

the 6GB are older models and i'm sure they've improved on them since then

thank you for the post....i'm going to look into that......maybe i'll go over to microcenter and see about installation

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 2001, 07:22 PM

Well, the Toshiba in my Pismo is also really loud... I think the current TravelStars are a lot better than either the Toshibas or old TravelStars.

tooki

mattmarshall
Senior User
Dec 20, 2001, 07:42 PM

i don't know what kind came with my pismo--it's just a stock 6 gig drive, but it is fairly loud. especially late at night, when it's real quiet.

that and the small size make me want to upgrade

-matt

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by BigMark:
<STRONG>i won't be touching any IBM drives from now on. The 6GB drive currently in my Pismo is louder than any of my previous desktop Macs.</STRONG>
The 6GB drive you are referring to uses old metal ball bearing and that is why it is LOUD. The new TravelStar drives (30GN models) use liquid bearing and they are ULTRA quite and stay that way.

Remember you want the 30GN model(s). They come in 20GB and 30GB sizes.

<Scott Gerenser>
Dec 20, 2001, 10:53 PM

I've got an IBM 48GB installed in my PowerBook G4 667 and it's pretty darn quiet. I can hardly hear it, especially if there's any other noise in the room. I think I got a pretty decent deal on it too at about $300.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2001, 03:03 PM

</STRONG>
The price is now only $140

milhous
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 02:57 AM

Yeah, I think it'll be time to replace my stock 12gb sometime this year. But here's some food for thought...

30gb drive = &gt;2X previous storage capacity
48gb drive = 4X previous storage capacity
60gb drive = 5X PREVIOUS STORAGE CAPACITY!

OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN!

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]

[ 12-25-2001: Message edited by: milhous ]
F = ma

Cellery
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2001, 04:40 AM

Now if only the 48GB models dropped to this price in the near future... I regret getting my TiBook with the 20GB drive, after 6 weeks it only has 570MB free. I'd pick up one of these to stick in the TiBook if the portable FireWire enclosures to drop the old one into weren't so expensive! Alone, they're almost as expensive as the hard drive.

Max8319
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2001, 11:01 PM

well, i got the 48gb hd and another 512mb and had it put into a pb ti400 i recently inherited (basically, my dad gets a new computer and asks if i want his old one).......so now i have a total 768mb ram and with the 48gb hd and the G4 processor, my computer flies! it is so sweet! i can definately keep this computer for a long time. i used to have a pismo 500 and this is a wonderful upgrade!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2001, 12:56 AM

It's a great price for a good drive.

(No, you may not be listed on Page 1 of the PowerBook forum's last post category! )

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 07:37 PM

</STRONG>
The price is now $136.99. WOW.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2001, 07:44 PM

www.pricewatch.com

GoogleGear has some insane prices on notebook drives. Their closest competitor, www.newegg.com has the drive listed for $144.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2001, 11:25 PM

<STRONG>www.pricewatch.com

GoogleGear has some insane prices on notebook drives. Their closest competitor, www.newegg.com has the drive listed for $144.</STRONG>
The strange thing is the price at GoogleGear has dropped twice in the last two weeks. Does this mean they are running low on inventory or that they are selling poorly?

Anyhow it is an awesome price for a 30Gig TravelStar drive.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: skyman ]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2001, 12:33 AM

They might just be making a name for themselves. Low prices on one product lead consumers there so they can be sold other things.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2001, 01:27 AM

seanyepez...
more to life than the forums!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

<lenz>
Dec 29, 2001, 06:18 AM

you guys think installing a hd in the tibook is hard? you should try doing it to the new ibooks. Now that is a complicated operation. I takes me about an hour from start to finish and I am very very good at this sort of thing. TiBook is not so bad, I did have a little difficulty properly aligning the bottom cover though but that could just be my particular powerbook. Anyways, good luck with yours.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2001, 08:10 AM

You think installing a hard drive in the new iBooks is hard?

The old iBook was harder.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2001, 06:50 PM

<STRONG>You think installing a hard drive in the new iBooks is hard?

The old iBook was harder. </STRONG>
That's one of the nice things about the PISMO. Hard drive replacment takes lass then 5 min.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2001, 07:20 PM

I almost died when I installed a hard drive in an original iBook.

Thank God. The Pismo is a lot easier.

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2001, 01:44 AM

OK, I'm now feeling a little less hesitant about IBM drives, but am still wary of the 4200 rpm speed.

The 6GB IBM drive in my Pismo (which is ultra loud, and also 4200rpm) cannot capture video without all sorts of 'hard disk too slow errors' from iMovie, even despite regular defragmenting w/ norton.

Anyone know of a similar sized (i.e. 30GB) hard disk for a laptop that is 5400rpm or faster?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2001, 05:53 AM

I don't know of any drives faster than 5400 RPM, but I do recommend the 48-gigabyte IBM TravelStar as a very quiet, fast, spacious hard drive. Despite its price, it's the best you can get in 5400 RPM right now.

If you didn't limit the criteria to 5400 RPM, I would have suggested the IBM TravelStar 40GN. It is a more affordable drive, though it only spins at 4200 RPM.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2002, 08:21 AM

How is Googlegear's reputation?

Have any of you actually got the drives you ordered yet?

I don't want to get scammed, but the website looks fully legit.

<Suckudora Saint>
Jan 3, 2002, 03:56 PM

I'll wait for the 60GB drives to become available. Hopefully that will knock the price down on the 48GB drive.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Suckudora Saint&gt;:
<STRONG>I'll wait for the 60GB drives to become available. Hopefully that will knock the price down on the 48GB drive.</STRONG>
The 60Gig drives should be available in the USA by the end of this month. However, I don't think this will drive (no pun intended) the price down on the 48GB drive.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: skyman ]

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 11:19 PM

I thought I read a ZDNET article that said the 60GB drives would be in the los $400 range. I think that WILL drive down the price of the 48GBs, which are around $350...
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

jed
Jan 4, 2002, 08:46 PM

Seanyepez, I got the 30g travelstar from googlegear.com and it arrived today. No problems at all. Though, their shipping charges are rather high.

skyman  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>I thought I read a ZDNET article that said the 60GB drives would be in the los $400 range. I think that WILL drive down the price of the 48GBs, which are around $350...</STRONG>
They will be priced at $499.00 avg retail. So, I am sure you will be able to find them on line for less.

Drive prices are dropping like crazy.

Who ever thought you would be able to squeeze 60GB in a 2.5 enclosure.

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by jed:
<STRONG>Seanyepez, I got the 30g travelstar from googlegear.com and it arrived today. No problems at all. Though, their shipping charges are rather high.</STRONG>
Just be glad you don't live overseas. We never benefit from any free shipping deals, and I usually have to pay around US$40 just for shipping a couple of DVDs from amazon.com (price of DVDs not included). Outpost.com are just as expensive. Surely the US has a reliable air mail service, other than courier/ express mailers??

mattmarshall
Senior User
Jan 5, 2002, 03:10 AM

<STRONG>OK, I'm now feeling a little less hesitant about IBM drives, but am still wary of the 4200 rpm speed.

The 6GB IBM drive in my Pismo (which is ultra loud, and also 4200rpm) cannot capture video without all sorts of 'hard disk too slow errors' from iMovie, even despite regular defragmenting w/ norton.

Anyone know of a similar sized (i.e. 30GB) hard disk for a laptop that is 5400rpm or faster?</STRONG>
is this true of other people's experience?

i've got a pismo, and i plan to get into Digital Video now. i need to purchase a new drive, though, because i only have the 6 gig stock one.

is the 4200 really to slow to capture video?

i have a maxtor external firewire drive. would using that actually be better than buying a new large 4200 drive?

thanks!

-matt

J��n
Jan 5, 2002, 06:44 PM

There was something on dealmac, about the travelstar for $399 on DELLS website. It is under a different name. They give you a 20% discount if you order before the end of the month. The drive also looks different. But is the same.

I wish I had the money at the moment.

J��n
Los Angeles, California

necrosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2002, 08:06 PM

jed
Jan 7, 2002, 10:18 PM

<STRONG>
Surely the US has a reliable air mail service, other than courier/ express mailers??</STRONG>
Yep. But most of the time you can't select them. I didn't care, becaue with shipping it was still cheaper than other places; I just brought it up because it matters more to some people.

macmanmk
Jan 9, 2002, 02:30 PM

i've got a pismo, and i plan to get into Digital Video now. i need to purchase a new drive, though, because i only have the 6 gig stock one.

is the 4200 really to slow to capture video?

i have a maxtor external firewire drive. would using that actually be better than buying a new large 4200 drive?
Despite reports I've seen to the contrary, I've never had problems transferring video to my Pismo. I just upgraded the HD from the 6GB original equipment to a new 30GB Travelstar and I couldn't be happier.

One note: I've also tried transferring video through the Pismo to a Firewire HD and it definitely hasn't worked for me. Like someone said before, I get a message that the drive is too slow. Oh well, the 30GB I have internally now affords me some breathing room when doing video work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules