Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I need help building a mac pro.

I need help building a mac pro.
Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 03:08 PM

I finally saved up and bought these parts
Mac pro motherboard $499
1 ram riser card $89
mac pro video card $39
mac pro powery supply $300
Hard drive Sata 250 gigs $89
Emac superdrive $9
I know I need ram, a cpu and a case

Can I get buy with out the memory case, using a single ram riser, and with 1 1.6ghz 1u active xeon cpu?

The goal for me is to have a machine that works. I can add stuff later to bring it up to par with the big boys.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 03:41 PM

Yeah and by the time you pay for the RAM, CPU and a case it may well cost you more then a MacPro. If you need an MP and cannot afford one over apple.com. Check out ebay, craigslist or look at apple's refurb page.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2008, 03:47 PM

Wow, you've already cracked $1,00 and you've still got so much more to spend.

No offense, but; Stupid endeavor.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Stolfi1  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 03:58 PM

I understand it will cost more to do it this way. My issues is having 2k all at once. I have kids and bills lots of bills. So when I do a side job or save a little I buy a part. I been buying stuff for a while and I expect it will be late 2008 before I finish the machine. Even then the machine will not be on par with a mac pro.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008, 04:32 PM

Why not put the money in a money market or CD, make a little interest on it, then purchase the whole thing in one big purchase in the end? That way you save as the price on things like RAM comes down, or with the new MP upgrade, you could buy a refurb, and you make a little on the interest?

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 04:48 PM

The memory cage is needed. A) it forms part of the plenum for the ducted airflow for the CPU and memory. B) it is the mount for the rear fan. C) it stablizes the memory riser cards.

The PC standard Xeon cooler is 1u passive with ducted airflow, 2u active ( fanned ) with normal ATX case convection. I recommend using the apple heat sinks ( 3u heat piped ) as the Mac Pro air circulation is dependant upon the plenum and fans.

BTW

usually the riser cards are sold in pairs for that price.
( Last edited by newtech; Jan 14, 2008 at 04:59 PM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stolfi1 View Post
My issues is having 2k all at once. I have kids and bills lots of bills.
Oh I know, I'm in a similar situation but either buy a cheaper mac, or save up. Especially if its going to take almost a year to finish building it. By putting the money in a savings account, you achieve more for less.

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2008, 05:10 PM

How can you put a price on the educational and aesthetic value in doing a build up. Green too, if the parts are recycled from disposesed machines.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by newtech View Post
How can you put a price on the educational and aesthetic value in doing a build up. Green too, if the parts are recycled from disposesed machines.
Agreed. I would not do it, but there is huge value there.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules