Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Messenger Bag for College

Messenger Bag for College
PB00k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 07:10 PM

I am looking at getting a new 15" Powerbook. And yes, I know about the sticky thread above. But instead of reading every page. Can someone help me out with a messenger bag to fit the 15" Powerbook, and carry a couple text books and notebooks. And comfortable to carry around all day.
I've been looking at the Waterfield Design cargo bags.
Any input about these bags or something like it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

stickmedia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 09:52 PM

I have the 'Courier Laptop' bag for my 17" and it is great. The padded sleeve inside is the best I have ever used. I could drop it 5' and not worry about hurting my laptop.

LINK: http://www.tombihn.com/

Good luck.

dannyn
May 9, 2005, 02:25 AM

I have a Waterfield Designs cargo bag as well as a Timbuk2 (http://www.timbuk2.com) messenger bag for my Titanium Powerbook. The medium size Waterfield Design cargo is pretty slim, so I like to use it for light loads and when I feel like showing off the seatbelt buckle. I use my Timbuk2 bag as my everyday bag, because is it's a tough bag with lots of room inside for anything I need to take with me. Both are great bags. Well-designed and built. Comfortable to carry.
Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog

asodamiac
Senior User
May 9, 2005, 02:34 AM

i use a waterfield sleeve for my powerbook.. and i'm planning to slip it into a back pack. the waterfield sleeves are VERY NICE! their customer service is great. i have never experienced such great service. they get down to a personal level, not that automated junk. hahaha well just wanted to spread the good news.

ive had a messenger bag for a while.. well 3 years ago i moved back to "regular" back packs. with a heavy load.. the messenger bag becomes uncomfortable. especially because all the weight is resting on one shoulder.. but thats just me.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

osxisfun
May 9, 2005, 12:51 PM

ive had a messenger bag for a while.. well 3 years ago i moved back to "regular" back packs. with a heavy load.. the messenger bag becomes uncomfortable. especially because all the weight is resting on one shoulder.. but thats just me.
You have to wear the strap over the opposite shoulder.

I put my powerbook in my waterfield and those in my timbuk2 med mess bag and it was like i was cheating. It was great. But if i had put the strap on the same side shoulder then yes. One of my hands would always be "watching" the bag. and yep it would have been easier.

But it over your opposite shoulder. 180 degreee difference.

wisnick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 01:39 PM

I strongly suggest you look into a REload bags. They are more expensive than a timbuk2, but they will last much longer, are very tough, and very water proof. I put my PB in a sleeve and then in the messenger bag.

Plus, you can custom design _any_ part of the bag.
http://jakesmom.blogspot.com --funny, political, and it sounds good.

PB00k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the information. But I was wondering if the Powerbook would fit in a sleeve and in the Timbuk2 Comute bag. Becasue on their webite it says it doesnt need a sleeve for the bag, because it is padded.

osxisfun
May 9, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by PB00k
Thanks for all the information. But I was wondering if the Powerbook would fit in a sleeve and in the Timbuk2 Comute bag. Becasue on their webite it says it doesnt need a sleeve for the bag, because it is padded.
that is correct. please be aware that either the commute or the messanger (med. for 15") will make a fine bag. But after seeing the comutte in real life its _sticks_ out too far for me. I think its all the padding.

I bought the mess. bag and added the waterfield sleeve. I prob. do have _less_ protection but it just feels better. Easier to walk around with. (i will be using it on a bike sometimes so the mess bag will fit my body better.)

dabigdawg
May 9, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by PB00k
I have the Timbuk2 bag and can fit the powerbook in a sleeve in the padded area, although it is well padded enough so a bit overkill but it works.
"It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"

15"/1ghz Ti/1gb/powerbook Panther
----------------------
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 10gb Ram 2TB discs with ATI 1900xt
----------------------
iMac Grape 333 256Ram 6gb

iSight, iPod Video 80 gb

PB00k  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to get the Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger bag and the sleeve case.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 06:27 AM

I highly recommend the Sportfolio from Marware. If you click on the Product Page, you'll also see they have a Sportfolio sleeve.

I have the 12" edition (Sportfolio II) and I feel like my PB is so safe and protected in there that I could drop it and I wouldn't be so worried.

skelotar
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 10:45 AM

scrap that entire idea and get a laptop bookbag..

mine is a samsonite that allows you to zip the laptop in its carrying case to the actual bookbag or carry it separately .. I usually throw it inside the bookbag as I try to carry as few books as possible
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules