Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ATTN: Photoshop Users

ATTN: Photoshop Users
Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 08:45 AM

I don’t usually purchase software when it's first introduced. As you all know, too often new programs don’t live up to the hype or they are too buggy. In the case of Fluid Mask I did, unfortunately, make an exception. The manufacturers webpage made it look so good….and easy. Now, three months later, I can honestly say that this software did not live up to the marketing hype. It is not as easy to use and/or get the same results the mfg. has posted on their website. Also, after doing some tests with the same image, Corel’s KnockOut 2 consistently did a better job. And the kicker is that KnockOut 2 is only $99 and Fluid Mask is $249. Lastly, to add insult to injury, when I had problems with software the company was less than helpful. As a matter of fact, after only one email exchange, they just stopped communicating.

My advise, if you need a great product that separates your subject from it’s background get Corel’s KnockOut 2.
( Last edited by Lee33; Dec 13, 2005 at 01:13 PM. )
2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4.5GB RAM, 30" Cinema Display

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 04:23 PM

I downloaded the trial of Fluid Mask. I was hoping that I just didn't understand the software. But the results I got were not very good. I did a much better job doing what I needed, manually.

I may go take a look at Corel's KnockOut 2.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

macanon
Feb 28, 2006, 01:29 AM

FWIW, I've had such buggy results with Knockout and Corel in general that I'm much happier with Fluidmask.

If you are unsure, try both out. I think I'm doomed to some sort of conflict with the corel stuff. For me I was able to get better results after playing around with the software for a bit. It was a fairly quick learn..

To each his own

nycdunz
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 02:23 AM

fluidmask is awesome, how can you say its not good? It's the best extraction tool out there that does the best cut outs I've seen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules