Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > KVM recommendation for 2 Mac Minis

KVM recommendation for 2 Mac Minis
axlepin
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 01:20 PM

I thought I posted this earlier..didn't seem to "take."

I have 2 mac minis (2nd one just arrived moments ago). I want a KVM switch to use with these Minis, but I don't see any clear winners out there when I read comments.

Belkin's Flip and iogear's GCS632U are mentioned, but I read problems with switching; sometimes people are unable to switch back to one mini from another.

the comments are so evenly divided, I can't tell whether this is user error, or hinky gear. Is software based key combo switching always better than a physical switch?

can anyone shed light?

thanks!

axle

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2006, 02:29 PM

Just curious, but what do you use two Mac minis right next to each other for?

axlepin  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 04:06 PM

my use will be distributed 3D rendering (Lightwave). there are also scenarios in which I'll need 1 mini to work on rendering full bore, but I'll want the other for video or some other equally-demanding task.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2006, 11:56 PM

I have a USB/KVM switch that I use all the time to switch back and forth between my Quicksilver (see below) and a Dell PC at work. I bought my parents a mini for Christmas and took it into work to do the updates, but it wouldn't work right with the KVM switch (mini and Quicksilver hooked up). I can't recall the specifics, but I was a little surprised and wondered if it was due to the fact that the mini is USB2 and the QS is USB1.

I guess that really doesn't help you out, but it's something I've wondered about ever since...

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2006, 01:23 AM

Have you thought about using Chicken of the VNC instead of a KVM? I just got a Mini last week to replace my Dell Server. I have it Headless right now and only connect via the Chicken of the VNC.

Good to see a fellow Lightwaver. Since I've swithced to the Mac platform, I have yet to setup a screamernet.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

axlepin  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Have you thought about using Chicken of the VNC instead of a KVM? I just got a Mini last week to replace my Dell Server. I have it Headless right now and only connect via the Chicken of the VNC.

Good to see a fellow Lightwaver. Since I've swithced to the Mac platform, I have yet to setup a screamernet.

J.
OK..with chicken of the VNC, you get sort of a "portal" of that other mac via ethernet, right? IOW, you couldn't really work on it..too slow, or too poor video signal? But you can run apps, move files, set things up?

As for Screamernet on the Mac side, I'd highly recommend using RFC (http://www.brucerayne.com/software.html)

Bruce is a great guy and Mac LWer. His app turns what can be a nightmare into a very simple set up, and his controller offers a lot of control over your render cue. well worth the money.

axle

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2006, 12:31 PM

Ya I guess you could call it a "portal". Yes it would run over ethernet and it a bit slower. I wouldn't try running Modeler or Layout, but it should be fine for installing applications, launching them, setting preferences, executing jobs, etc.

For example, last night I downloaded an app that would allow me to create shares on the new Mac Mini. I downloaded from my main box (Dual G5). Copied to my current SUSE file server. Fired up CotVNC (attach to Mac Mini) and copied the file from the server (over wireless BTW).

Installed the software via CotVNC. Setup a share point. Attached an external Firewire drive. Then started a copy (on the CotVNC connected Mac Mini) from my SUSE File Server.

I have a 23" ACD so I left the CotVNC window open in the background and checked on it here and there.

Hope this helps. I'll check out the link you provided. Any chance you have had experience using both PCs and Macs for the render farm? I'd like to use all my Mac and PCs if possible.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 12:26 AM

The only KVM I recommend is Dr. Bott. It doesn't do any software-emulation of the USB signal, it just passes it straight through. It's the only one that doesn't muck things up.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 12:07 PM

i have a 4port usb kvm that i used with my powerbook, and my xp machine and it worked great.

even thought it says it maxed out at 1024 it runs just fine with my xp machine at 1280 connected to my 17inch samsung lcd.

its for sale, if you are intrested pm me for pics. Im looking for 35 shipped for the complete package.

DrWoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blizzake
i have a 4port usb kvm that i used with my powerbook, and my xp machine and it worked great.

even thought it says it maxed out at 1024 it runs just fine with my xp machine at 1280 connected to my 17inch samsung lcd.

its for sale, if you are intrested pm me for pics. Im looking for 35 shipped for the complete package.
This is one I use and it support audio.

http://pleekesite.blogspot.com/2005/...t-usb-kvm.html
My Ramblings:
http://karagitz.blogspot.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules