Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rehash old topic: Mini 1.5/64MB

Rehash old topic: Mini 1.5/64MB
Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 06:42 PM

Wow. Not many mini posts anymore with the advent of the core duo iMacs! Anyway, I was wondering if there is still a way to determine whether or not a mini might be the upgraded 1.5 model by the serial number. That seemed like it was possible back in November, but does that still hold any weight?

Has anyone received a 1.5 mini lately and do you know the serial number/build date?

Thanks.

Mike
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tuishimi  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 02:40 AM

I guess not! No interest in that anymore?

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2006, 06:15 AM

I think that if you purchase a CTO Mac Mini from the Apple Store, your chances are greatly increased that you'll get the stealth upgraded Mini. Also, if you have an Apple reseller near you, you can just have them check before you purchase. (they won't do this in the Apple store, but I have heard from many people that resellers will be more than happy to hook you up)

uicandrew
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 01:17 PM

According to Jason O'Grady of powerpage.org, the boxes look the same (yes, that includes the spec stickers)

however, other people who have done CTO recently have gotten the older mac mini. Someone on Applenova forums suggested that you go to an apple store, and have them put in the serial number of the mac mini into the support page, and see if it lists 1.5ghz. This way, you can check without opening the box. good luck!
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2006, 06:13 PM

I got the "silent upgrade" Mac Mini. Purchased the middle option Mini (Combo Drive) and added a Built-In Modem. My box had a drop-in CD/DVD for iLife '06.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2006, 06:22 PM

Apple Insider are running a story that the intel mac mini could only be a couple of months away, and without the iPod connector:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1527

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2006, 05:50 PM

Well, after reading all the posts here are macnn, I went to the link a member provided..I think it was Link, I then went on eBay and asked a few sellers about the mini, I found one that listed it as a 1.42 but purchased it in Oct of 2005. I asked for the serial number to check the specs against that link and it said it should have the "silent upgrade". I took my chances and purchased it, got it and was satisifed to see that it does.
So in my findings, the machines with the label "Late 2005" seem to have the silent upgrade.
Please dont take it as 100%, this is just my findings. Seems to be in line with other members findings, but hate for you to take my word and then find something different.

Rob

Tuishimi  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 01:11 AM

...I am considering hunting down a 1.5. But now that I hear the dock will not be present in the new mini, I am hoping it will keep the same form factor, which I enjoy, with the added benefit of core duo!

I think I will try and wait. I think. On the other hand I am heading down to an Apple store tomorrow to have the fan on my wife's old Rev A. G5 iMac... it has that high pitched whine that drives me NUTS and you can hear it throughout the house. My newer iMac G5 doesn't do that, thankfully.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 04:42 AM

i doubt that the intel minis will have a duo, but i hope that apple proves me wrong!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Tuishimi  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 10:50 AM

What do you think they will go with instead? An "M"? Or something else?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 01:29 PM

same chip but single processor. i seriously wont be surprised if both the ibook and mac mini get a duo, but right now my pessimistic dollar is on both having just the single core chip.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

dale
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 08:57 AM

Maybe the base iBook and Mac Mini will have single cores and the top end iBook and Minis have the dual cores.

Also, what do people think about naming. Apple seem to have no clear strategy here, converting power models to intel models

iMac G5 became iMac Core Duo
Power Book became Mac Book Pro

Some people have been suggesting that the new iBook will be called the Mac Book, but I think the name iBook will remain. I think the only reason the Powerbook was renamed to Mac Book Pro was to get the word "Power" as in PowerPC out of its name.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 02:59 PM

My prediction agrees with iRez - I don't think the base mini configurations will be dual core, even if Apple is clearing space in the Duo range by only using the 1.83 and higher chips in the MacBook Pro.

As the chips are supposed to be pin compatible, I wouldn't be shocked to see Apple offer the Duo as a BTO upgrade or maybe in a higher-end "Super mini" model.

Forum Links
Forum Rules