Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: New internal hard drive?

MBP: New internal hard drive?
Pele137
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2006, 07:20 PM

How would I go about replacing my internal hard drive on my 2.0GhZ Core Duo MBP. Could I send it to a company to move all of my stuff to a new hard drive and install it internally into the computer? how would i go about replacing it. thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 07:29 PM

Yes, you bring it or ship it to an authorized Apple retailer, and they will install a new drive. They will also transfer your data from your old drive to your new one for an additional fee.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Pele137 View Post
How would I go about replacing my internal hard drive on my 2.0GhZ Core Duo MBP. Could I send it to a company to move all of my stuff to a new hard drive and install it internally into the computer? how would i go about replacing it. thanks
I'm assuming you want to replace it for a larger one, and not because it's failing? Several options...

Apple Retail will send it back, you pay for everything.

Online options...
iFixIt.com
PowerBookMedic.com
PowerBookParts.com

CompUSA...or any other Apple Approved Repair Center
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 12:03 AM

Do it yourself using the instructions at pbfixit.com. Here are the 15" instructions:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro/Hard-Drive

Chris

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2006, 06:50 PM

I agree, do it yourself, it's relatively simple if your competent with your mechanical skills, and have the proper tools.

I replaced my 80GB 5400 rpm with a 100GB 7200 rpm using the instructions from powerbookmedic. Just be meticulous in how you remember where each screw goes.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 02:44 PM

With the do-it-yourself method you end up with a nice portable backup drive, if you don't mind the extra expense of an enclosure.

Use an ice tray for keeping the screws in the order in which you took them out.

mojo5436
Dec 27, 2006, 12:21 PM

Will this raise issues with AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) down the road if the book ever needs repairs?
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2006, 06:50 AM

They would repair whatever needs to be repaired but if the HD fails they will not because it did not come with the machine and its not an apple HD

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006, 07:40 AM

Actually, on the question of service, this is not quite correct. The hard drive is not considered by Apple to be a "user replaceable part" (although I think we all can agree that it is a relatively straightforward procedure). As such, your performing the replacement gives Apple the loophole to declare that you have voided your warranty, should you need future repairs done to your machine.

Does Apple enforce this, or just talk about it? I have no idea. However, what I can tell you is that for a small fee ($30 is what it was a year ago), you can take a bare drive and your laptop to CompUSA, and they'll do the installation for you. They are (were?) an authorized Apple repair center, so this allows you to cover your bases if you're a bit risk-averse like I was.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

ibook_steve
Dec 28, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by John123 View Post
Actually, on the question of service, this is not quite correct. The hard drive is not considered by Apple to be a "user replaceable part" (although I think we all can agree that it is a relatively straightforward procedure). As such, your performing the replacement gives Apple the loophole to declare that you have voided your warranty, should you need future repairs done to your machine.

Does Apple enforce this, or just talk about it? I have no idea. However, what I can tell you is that for a small fee ($30 is what it was a year ago), you can take a bare drive and your laptop to CompUSA, and they'll do the installation for you. They are (were?) an authorized Apple repair center, so this allows you to cover your bases if you're a bit risk-averse like I was.
Based on the stories people have posted here about CompUSA (just do a search), I would definitely *not* take it there to do this.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules