Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 AM

This game deserves its own thread.

If you liked Red Dead Redemption, you'll like Far Cry 3. Like I posted previously, its Red Dead in 1st person. Its beautiful on the Xbox. At the beginning of the game you are having a conversation with someone and the eyes on that person are just so well done. Very convincing. Almost life-like.

If you like building up a skill tree, looting, not too dumb interaction with in game characters, sniping, silent takedowns, learning to craft stuff and figuring out how to get through or around the baddies while avoiding the fookin tiger thats growling, then you'll like Far Cry 3. I do.

As Dakar said, it seems to be a few games rolled into one, and its (so far) been well implemented. Inventory management is, like in other games of this type that I've played, laborious. And I don't like not being able to save when I want. Otherwise, great fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2013, 01:56 PM

I'd be interested in it if the damn thing had true co-op. Since it doesn't it, can sod off.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2013, 04:56 PM

The main menu has Co-op and multi. Not played either so can't comment.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2013, 11:24 PM

I know it has 4 man coop because I just watched an Achievement Hunter vid with four of them playing and it wasn't multiplayer. It looks similar to Halo's coop. It was hilarious... They were stabbing guys in the neck, shooting guys, and a lot of reviving the other coop players.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2013, 03:49 PM

The silent takedowns are fun. And satisfying.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 28, 2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I know it has 4 man coop because I just watched an Achievement Hunter vid with four of them playing and it wasn't multiplayer.
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The main menu has Co-op and multi. Not played either so can't comment.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
true co-op

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2013, 07:23 AM

You need certain skins to make certain items, like a bigger ammo pouch for example. So I look at the map and try to find where wild boar are. Aha, not too far. Load up, drive for a bit, walk for a bit then crouch for a bit and I'm there. Raise silenced sniper, zoom in and aim ...

At a pig.

Killed a few, then what I thought were dingos came (I also need dingo hide for something) so I shot a few of them while they were attacking me. They were 'only' wild dogs. Ran out of sniper bullets and used the AK-47, which attracted the baddies in their jeeps. Took out quite a few of them with the AK-47 and looted their bodies. So a bit more money, stuff I can sell, pig skin, dog skin, but still no boar. I go back to nearest place where I can sell the junk and buy ammo and finally notice the difference between the pig and boar symbol on the map. I load up and start to head towards the boar.

This seems to have lasted 30 minutes but the misses said that I had been in front of the screen for 2 hours.

Great game.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2013, 11:41 PM

I may buy this one. It sounds like a lot of fun. Not sure when I'll buy it, before or after Bioshock Infinite.
MacBook Pro

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2013, 05:00 AM

Tigers are tough.

Komodo Dragons always attack.

Be careful when swimming.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2013, 03:18 PM

Looks like I'll buy this in the next day or two. I'm almost at the end of Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite doesn't release until the end of March. I need something to play until then (other than a little Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed 3 DLC).
MacBook Pro

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2013, 05:51 PM

The Rakyat have Aussie/New Zealand accents. I'm sorry to have to say this, but they are the dumbest NPCs that I have ever come across.

Once you win an outpost, they come in and take it over. Well I had used various pyrotechnics to win a particular outpost and some of the outpost was still on fire. There were no bad-guys left. 2, not 1 but 2 of the NPCs managed to kill themselves by getting caught on fire from a very small gas leak. And the first one had shouted at the top of his lungs that there was fire before he died. The second one just walked on. Right into the gas leak. There are vehicles, boats, quads and cars/jeeps everywhere. Do they make ANY effort not to run into you, no. Even when I stop dead, they still manage to run into me.

Luckily you only see them once you've cleaned up an area, otherwise their stupidity would get on my nerves.

Now that I can carry 4 weapons, I have a grenade launcher, bow equipped with explosive arrows, silenced Famas and a shotty (1887). The trouble is, the outposts are getting harder (more dogs, reinforcements bring more in 2 or 3 vehicles now, just had a heli in the last outpost). And now there are heavily armoured blokes that you cannot kill with one headshot, as well as accurate Molotov throwers. Tactics that worked earlier on in the game aren't working now.

I like traveling by heavily armoured patrol boat.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2013, 05:55 AM

Our esteemed Dakar wrote previously that Far Cry 3 was like several games rolled into one.

Last night I encountered Tomb Raider.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM

I ordered this off amazon. I have nothing better to play right now.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2013, 11:06 AM

That's about the same reason I bought it.

I started it yesterday and am at the first Outpost. I want to see if I can figure a way to do the first Outpost in a "stealth" way.
MacBook Pro

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2013, 12:12 PM

I think that you might like this Dakar. Dunno what sorts of games you like Leonard, but if you like the Skyrim/Red Dead/Borderlands FPS/RPG/Adventure type (making up the classification as I go along) games then you'll like Far Cry 3.

The stealth method gets the most XP for an outpost. Difficult in the beginning when you don't have a decent sniper.

Just in case, there are scenes that you really don't want kids to see. Well I don't want a 9 year old and a 5 year old seeing them anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 PM

I think that you might like this Dakar.
Hey! I'm the one who recommended it to you. I know what I'm in for.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Feb 12, 2013, 07:27 PM

Have this in backlog, up next after AC III

Let me know what you think

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2013, 10:20 PM

Now I understand this cartoon

Ctrl+Alt+Del - A compulsion, of sorts (2012-12-07)

I'm back playing Assassin's Creed 3, just in first person instead of third person! Hunt this, skin it, hunt that, skin it... Then kill a few people. Craft a few things to improve weapon capacity.

Oh, and I did stealth liberate that first outpost. It took a couple of tries because of the dog.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 PM

That weird doctor reminds me of Bioshock. Something's not quite right with him. Too many mushrooms.

Are any of those things in your rucksack (other than the leafs and skins, Like the poker chips, cards, ceremonial knives, etc. of any use or are they just for selling?
( Last edited by Leonard; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM. )
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2013, 10:29 AM

Found out this game doesn't have auto-save the hard way. And then I was done.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2013, 04:29 PM

Post #1?

Sell everything except skins.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2013, 11:12 PM

Yeah, when your not in a mission, you have to make sure you save every so often. You would think they would have an autosave outside of missions. But I'll keep playing, it's not a showstopper for me.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM

The "Last Checkpoint" in missions, seems to be "broken". I used it in one mission and it brought me to the last checkpoint, but all the guards that I had killed were alive. I would have expected them to be dead, as at my last checkpoint I had killed them all.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2013, 09:58 AM

Yeah, when your not in a mission, you have to make sure you save every so often. You would think they would have an autosave outside of missions. But I'll keep playing, it's not a showstopper for me.
I didn't quit the game permanently, but having lost some progress, I was done for the night.

The "Last Checkpoint" in missions, seems to be "broken". I used it in one mission and it brought me to the last checkpoint, but all the guards that I had killed were alive. I would have expected them to be dead, as at my last checkpoint I had killed them all.
Heh, Hitman Absolution suffered from the same problem.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2013, 12:45 PM

So, digging the game. The stealth aspect is really fun. This probably giving me more satisfaction than Hitman Absolution could have. Taking over Outposts stealthily is very satisfying, but also quite difficult after the first few. On one of the early ones I was sitting outside when I heard a tiger near-by. Luckily, he doesn't notice me and decides to enter the compound for lunch murdering almost everyone. I kill the straggler and boom – done.

The next one, coincidentally a tiger shows up again, only this time he's on my case. Having eliminated maybe one guy at most, I decide to just run into the middle of the compound with the tiger on my tail. I takedown the first guy I see while everyone else starts opening fire on the tiger. This turns into me and the tiger tag-taming the compound for another victory.

My best executed stealth run was yesterday. Two snipers, duo of guards at the entrance, one straggler, and one patrol. Snipe the patrol when he gets behind some logs where no one can see his corpse, one-two the snipers in their towers, sneak in, disable the alarm, take down the straggler, then get the takedown combo on the duo at the entrance. Very, very satisfying.

---

As far as progression, I went balls deep into exploration, resulting that at one point I had like 5 skill points to spend and nothing to spend it on because they were locked until the story advanced. Really awful, fake RPG elements. I also went nuts on crating the pouches. Had all of them upgraded (except ammo, damn it) early on. Just completed my last upgrade last night and am maxed out completely.

Towers are ok. Not a fan of FPS platforming, and the FOV really takes a toll on my eyes in those cramped quarters where footing is everything and peripheral vision would be clutch. Very reminiscent of Assassin's Creed (Also Ubisoft).

The Wanted missions = Hitman
The Hunting Challenges = Red Dead
The Supply Drops and Rakyat Challenges = GTA
Syringes = BioShock

All good stuff.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2013, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I'm probably as far as you are in the story (I remember the Tiger at the logging camp, that roar was so loud I thought there was a second Tiger closer).

I just finished taking the prison by the sea by stealth and saved the 2nd girl.

I'm already fully equipped, got alot of the holsters and pouches. Have 4 guns equipped - AK-47, Scorpion SMG, pistol with silencer and extended mag, sniper rifle with silencer and high powered scope. Grenades, land Mines, Molotovs. I wouldn't mind finding that Tapir (or is Tipir) animal so I can make a bigger rucksack.

I did some exploration, but not much. Did a few Wanted, Hunter, and other side missions. Like Matty, I love the takedown with the knife. I now have the takedown and drag so I can hide the bodies. Some of these takedowns are so hilarious - ex. the guy is taking a piss and there is a good 20 metres of open space between him and me, I creep up from behind and get a takedown and drag him off to the side so no-one sees his dead body.
MacBook Pro

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2013, 01:26 PM

So, digging the game. The stealth aspect is really fun. This probably giving me more satisfaction than Hitman Absolution could have. Taking over Outposts stealthily is very satisfying, but also quite difficult after the first few. On one of the early ones I was sitting outside when I heard a tiger near-by. Luckily, he doesn't notice me and decides to enter the compound for lunch murdering almost everyone. I kill the straggler and boom – done.

The next one, coincidentally a tiger shows up again, only this time he's on my case. Having eliminated maybe one guy at most, I decide to just run into the middle of the compound with the tiger on my tail. I takedown the first guy I see while everyone else starts opening fire on the tiger. This turns into me and the tiger tag-taming the compound for another victory.

My best executed stealth run was yesterday. Two snipers, duo of guards at the entrance, one straggler, and one patrol. Snipe the patrol when he gets behind some logs where no one can see his corpse, one-two the snipers in their towers, sneak in, disable the alarm, take down the straggler, then get the takedown combo on the duo at the entrance. Very, very satisfying.

---

As far as progression, I went balls deep into exploration, resulting that at one point I had like 5 skill points to spend and nothing to spend it on because they were locked until the story advanced. Really awful, fake RPG elements. I also went nuts on crating the pouches. Had all of them upgraded (except ammo, damn it) early on. Just completed my last upgrade last night and am maxed out completely.

Towers are ok. Not a fan of FPS platforming, and the FOV really takes a toll on my eyes in those cramped quarters where footing is everything and peripheral vision would be clutch. Very reminiscent of Assassin's Creed (Also Ubisoft).

The Wanted missions = Hitman
The Hunting Challenges = Red Dead
The Supply Drops and Rakyat Challenges = GTA
Syringes = BioShock

All good stuff.
Glad to see that you're enjoying it.

I have never tried it, but a mate says that in some camps you can shoot the cage that a tiger or bear is in and the tiger or bear will take out all the bad-guys.

What do you think of the sound? I can't tell where the animals are, there seems to be a directional element missing from the sound.

FOV. Couldn't agree more. There's something wrong, especially when climbing up the towers. I don't know what words I'm looking for to describe it however.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2013, 01:33 PM

FOV. Couldn't agree more. There's something wrong, especially when climbing up the towers. I don't know what words I'm looking for to describe it however.
Tunnel vision. How'd you like to walk around IRL with blinders on?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2013, 02:03 PM

What do you think of the sound? I can't tell where the animals are, there seems to be a directional element missing from the sound.
Yeah, I'd haave to agree, the sound for animals seem to be missing the directional element.

Tagging the animals with the camera, is the only thing that helps.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2013, 02:13 PM

I have never tried it, but a mate says that in some camps you can shoot the cage that a tiger or bear is in and the tiger or bear will take out all the bad-guys.
Hmmm... maybe that's what happened in one of my first missions. All of a sudden, for no apparent reason that I could see, the pirates started shooting, and when I reviewed the scene they were all dead except for one or two... but then I raised the alarm and restarted the mission. But here were some animals caged. Maybe one got out when I was shooting arrows at the dog.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2013, 02:16 PM

I've done it. easier said that done. You have to shoot the front of the cage and make sure no one in the camp notices there's shots being fired. Also, depending on the animal, sometimes its a waste of time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2013, 11:08 AM

I forgot the add, the island(s) are impressively huge. I'm curious as to how it compares to GTA IV, RDR, and GTA V. The trade-offs for the size are quite apparent though. The pop-in, draw-in, low res textures and, most notably, amazingly long load times. I made sure to install it after the first session.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2013, 11:28 AM

and, most notably, amazingly long load times. I made sure to install it after the first session.
I should do that too. I was thinking about it yesterday when I was fast travelling and waiting for the load.

But then I didn't have much time to play between snowblowing snow and downloading an Xbox 360 update.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 10:31 AM

Hunting crocs with C4 is satisfying.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 11:14 AM

Hunting crocs with C4 is cheating.
Fixed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 11:15 AM

How is it cheating?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 11:24 AM

Cheating : Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

It's a dig, Dakar. For all animals that I didn't have to kill with the bow, I used the grenade launcher myself. A bit daft that you can still skin the beast after blowing to fook out of it.

Once you can use Molotovs or explosives on the arrows, its great, but otherwise, its weak.

Poor croc.

You on the 2nd island yet?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

A bit daft that you can still skin the beast after blowing to fook out of it.
Yeah, I kind of wonder about that when empty two SMG mags into a tiger and everything is ok. Are there takedowns for animals? After AC3 feels missing.

Once you can use Molotovs or explosives on the arrows, its great, but otherwise, its weak.

You on the 2nd island yet?
No. I suspect I'm close as I apparently blew through quite a few story missions and I've had the first island completely explored and conquered for a little bit.

Anyone trying the Rakyat Trials? They're basically old school GTA rampages but with the added touch of a friends list leaderboard.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I kind of wonder about that when empty two SMG mags into a tiger and everything is ok. Are there takedowns for animals? After AC3 feels missing.
I've sliced up a few after not being able to shoot fast enough with the bow. I have a feeling that you (even with some magic injection) can't get close enough.

No. I suspect I'm close as I apparently blew through quite a few story missions and I've had the first island completely explored and conquered for a little bit.
Buck (tbh a bit annoying) and then intimate knowledge of that priestess just before the 2nd island.

Anyone trying the Rakyat Trials? They're basically old school GTA rampages but with the added touch of a friends list leaderboard.
Did one, didn't do very well.

After the skiing holiday, I'll have to get back into this. S2 of Game of Thrones was taking up my gaming time.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2013, 12:44 PM

Yeah, once I figured out why your name kept appearing on my "wall", I decided to try out 2-3 of the Rakyat trials. Finally got MY name on my wall.

I have to try out C4 on the crocs.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2013, 12:00 AM

Man Dakar, you must have REALLY been exploring. You found over 60 relics already? I think I've only found 8 or 10.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 22, 2013, 11:06 AM

Man Dakar, you must have REALLY been exploring. You found over 60 relics already? I think I've only found 8 or 10.
Well, I did buy the maps...

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2013, 09:07 PM

With the money I've been finding I finally decided to buy the maps too. But Dakar is way ahead of me. I haven't finished the first island.

Found a great way to kill those nasty leopards and tigers. Lay a landmine. Take a few steps back. Attract a Leopard by shooting at it... Leopard runs into landmine.

I see you can move a tiger to the enemy by the stone throwing too.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2013, 07:31 PM

Good god, the story is so bad. Kill a few hundred people and Jason thinks he's found the meaning of life. And he likes it better than, you know, civilization.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2013, 09:09 PM

Yeah, I figured the story would head in that direction, since Dennis was bringing him into the tribe of the Rakyat. Let me guess that he tries to convince his friends to stay.

Actually, I was also starting to wonder if t he Rakyat were competing drug dealers (just nicer ones).
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 26, 2013, 11:07 AM

Liza: "I've been waiting so long for this" [Jason growing up, becoming mature]

Right, because getting tatted up with magic, losing your mind, and killing boatloads of black people is indicative of finally reaching maturity.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2013, 02:50 PM

You forgot the drugs... all the mushrooms, syringes, strange drinks (ex. the drink he gets from that jungle goddess), inhaling the smoke from the marijuana fields he set fire too, etc...

The other thing I could see is him becoming the island drug dealer or big kuhana. Everybody on the island seems to know him and like him. He's repairing vehicles, finding things for people, saving teens from death pacts, rushing medicine to islanders, getting rid of pesky animals, etc.
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 4, 2013, 08:57 AM

Dakar, I don't remember you ever 100% a game before (might just have a terrible memory).

For some reason i'm having a hard time getting into ACIII like i did the previous 4 AC games, I might just boot up FC3 and back track to ACIII when i'm done. Possibly i'm having a hard time switching between FPS (Halo 4) and third person for AC.

Whats your consensus on FC?

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2013, 10:16 AM

Actually, I was also starting to wonder if t he Rakyat were competing drug dealers (just nicer ones).
They're too dumb (ref : fire, shouting, walking, driving).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 4, 2013, 10:18 AM

They're too dumb (ref : fire, shouting, walking, driving).
Hear firing in the distance. Run up hill. Crest hill. Find three idiots shooting into the air.

For a video game I think I showed amazing restraint in not murdering their asses.

Forum Links
Forum Rules