Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Geforce3 ti in Cube?

Geforce3 ti in Cube?
peterthorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 02:14 PM

Does anyone know if a Geforce3 ti can be used in a cube? and what is the difference between the mx and the ti?

Thanks,
Peter

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2002, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by peterthorn:
Does anyone know if a Geforce3 ti can be used in a cube? and what is the difference between the mx and the ti?

Thanks,
Peter
I don't know about the Geforce 3 Ti, but I just put in the Apple OEM Geforce 3 with 64MB DDR and it fits great and runs fantastic. It also includes both ADC and VGA connectors. Has a quiet fan which retain most of the quietness of the original cube.

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 10:01 PM

None of the GeForce3 Ti cards are compatible with Macs because of the FlashROM. Only a regular PC GeForce3 can be flashed to work in a Mac. Even so, you're better off getting an Apple OEM GeForce3 for your Cube (I did). The metal end plates line up perfectly - all you have to do is swap them with your original Cube graphics card.....joe

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2002, 08:12 AM

I have been offered the card as second hand, and the seller claims that it's a TI and that it is a Mac version (it has ADC) - so it might compatible after all?

Peter

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 10:10 AM

I have been offered the card as second hand, and the seller claims that it's a TI and that it is a Mac version (it has ADC) - so it might compatible after all?

Peter
If it has an ADC connection it'll be compatible.
(Although I'd double check to ensure that it actually FITS in a Cube.)

Another consideration with a Cube: If the card requires 4X AGP I'm not sure if it will work. The Cube only has a 2X AGP port.

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 03:12 PM

Are you sure that is an ADC connector? ADC and DVI look very similar. Here is a review of the Apple OEM GF3 with photos:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/...ce3_tests.html

If the card doesn't look identical to the photo, it is not ADC. Apple made the ONLY GeForce3 with an ADC connector. Notice the small PCB connector on the bottom of the card between the AGP connector and the metal bracket? It is just below and to the right of the white plastic connector that goes to the GF3 cooling fan. That PCB connection proves it is an ADC card. That extra connection is where the card picks up the 28 volts from the Mac motherboard that is needed to power an ADC monitor. PC GeForce3 cards do not have this extra PCB connector.

I have that exact card in my G4 Cube. It's the fastest card you can get for the Cube - and one of the easiest upgrades. As you can see in that review I posted above, the GF3 does work in 2x AGP Macs including the G4 Cube. Someone recently hacked a Radeon 8500 into the Cube. That's also an excellent card. It's roughly the same speed as the GF3 but also has TruForm. But it takes a lot of hardware hacking (and risk) to get it into the Cube and it doesn't have ADC. By contrast, the Apple OEM GF3 is VERY easy to install. You just swap the metal bracket with your original Cube graphics card - the ports line up perfectly!

BTW - don't get hung up on this GF3 Ti business. If you check out benchmarks at Tom's hardware you'll notice that most GF3 Ti cards are actually slower (yes SLOWER) than the regular GF3!!! Only one GF3 Ti model is faster - the GF3 Ti 500. And it won't work in a Mac because there's not a compatible flashROM. The GF3 Ti cards use a different flashROM than the regular GF3 cards and they are not compatible. Other people have tried both in this forum and the xlr8yourmac forum. If you don't believe me, use the search command in both forums......joe

peterthorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by joe:

Are you sure that is an ADC connector? ADC and DVI look very similar. Here is a review of the Apple OEM GF3 with photos:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/...ce3_tests.html

If the card doesn't look identical to the photo, it is not ADC. Apple made the ONLY GeForce3 with an ADC connector. Notice the small PCB connector on the bottom of the card between the AGP connector and the metal bracket? It is just below and to the right of the white plastic connector that goes to the GF3 cooling fan. That PCB connection proves it is an ADC card. That extra connection is where the card picks up the 28 volts from the Mac motherboard that is needed to power an ADC monitor. PC GeForce3 cards do not have this extra PCB connector.

I have that exact card in my G4 Cube. It's the fastest card you can get for the Cube - and one of the easiest upgrades. As you can see in that review I posted above, the GF3 does work in 2x AGP Macs including the G4 Cube. Someone recently hacked a Radeon 8500 into the Cube. That's also an excellent card. It's roughly the same speed as the GF3 but also has TruForm. But it takes a lot of hardware hacking (and risk) to get it into the Cube and it doesn't have ADC. By contrast, the Apple OEM GF3 is VERY easy to install. You just swap the metal bracket with your original Cube graphics card - the ports line up perfectly!

BTW - don't get hung up on this GF3 Ti business. If you check out benchmarks at Tom's hardware you'll notice that most GF3 Ti cards are actually slower (yes SLOWER) than the regular GF3!!! Only one GF3 Ti model is faster - the GF3 Ti 500. And it won't work in a Mac because there's not a compatible flashROM. The GF3 Ti cards use a different flashROM than the regular GF3 cards and they are not compatible. Other people have tried both in this forum and the xlr8yourmac forum. If you don't believe me, use the search command in both forums......joe
Thanks for your help - especially for the details on the photo!
The thing is about geforce cards in general (mac versions) is that they are hard to find here in Denmark, so you have to be alert when one pops up.

Thanks,
Peter

Forum Links
Forum Rules