Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Problems netbooting B&W G3s off of Panther server

Problems netbooting B&W G3s off of Panther server
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 04:24 PM

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I'm crunched for time. This is my last day to get this working before I'm doing it for free.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...36#post1792936

Please, NO Jaguar analogies. Jaguar's Server Settings is NOTHING like Panther's Server Admin.

Aparently I need to enable BootP, set NetBoot to Static, or both. Neither of which I know how to do in Panther Server (not, I repeat, not Jaguar.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 16, 2004, 04:57 PM

Hmmm ... that doesn't look too good.

I have no specific clue about 10.3 Server but I snagged a PDF titled "System Image Admin" off of Apple's site and on page 14, it states:

"... Older Macintosh computers�tray-loading iMac computers and Power Macintosh G3 (blue and white) computers�need older versions of firmware that require version 1.0 of the NetBoot software, and are no longer supported. Mac OS X Server version 10.3 supports only NetBoot version 2.0. ..."

Maybe there's a workaround or something of the likes - I'll keep poking around for bit longer.

Good luck + cheers

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 16, 2004, 05:11 PM

even more "hmmmm's" ... OS X's man pages still list NetBoot 1.0 (BOOTP-based) ... maybe Apple "only" removed the GUI for this functionality to pressure customers into buying new boxes.

According to the man pages you can enable NetBoot 1.0 in the Terminal by typing
Code:
bootpd -m
But as stated in my previous post I do not know this from experience since I don't have an installation with OS X Server 10.3 on it.

I'm sure you know this already but just in case - check the bootpd man pages in the Terminal by typing "man bootpd" ...

(edit below ...)

Found this in a thread on macosxhints.com regarding fixed IP addresses via DHCP:

"OS X's built-in bootpd actually works fine...

Authored by: daveschroeder on Thu, Oct 17 '02 at 07:10PM

It's easy to assign fixed addresses via DHCP using the built-in services on Mac OS X...it's just that they're done in NetInfo rather than a text config file. Look at "man bootpd". You're basically just adding entries to the /machines tree in NetInfo. They each get a property for ethernet address, machine name, and the fixed IP to be assigned; basically the same stuff you put into a text config file. That's it!

(And yes, this does actually work; I use it on a server myself.)"
( Last edited by effgee; Jan 16, 2004 at 05:22 PM. )

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll give those a try.

I've given up temperarily because a more pressing matter is at hand. The Caution light on the XServe went on and all the network services stopped.

Tested the HD and it said the key is wrong, or soemthing like that. The HD was partitioned for Journaled, but he Volume was in HFS+.( ??? ) Anyway, suffice it to say, it was all fubar and I had to reinstall OS X.

ARGH!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules