Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Newbie question: How to unistall programs?

Newbie question: How to unistall programs?
elise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 07:19 PM

Hi!

I'm a fairly recent convert to Macs and I have another stupid newbie question. On my PC, if I wanted to unistall a program I'd use the program's unistall file or I'd go to Add/Remove programs.

On my Mac, I can't figure out how to unistall programs that don't come with an unistall file. Do I just delete them from the hard drive?

FYI, I am trying to uninstall Limewire.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2005, 07:43 PM

If a program didn't come with an uninstaller, you can generally just drag it to the trash.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by elise:

FYI, I am trying to uninstall Limewire.
Good for you !! Try out Poisoned . I used Limewire before Poisoned existed and the Mac version just never impressed me much. As Chuckit said, unintalling apps that have no uninstaller is usually as simple as trashing it. If you wanna be super-thrifty, you could do a search for 'Lime' or 'Limewire' on your hard drive and remove any straggling preference files etc. that might be hanging around.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
If you wanna be super-thrifty, you could do a search for 'Lime' or 'Limewire' on your hard drive and remove any straggling preference files etc. that might be hanging around.
This is usually unnecessary and generally a waste of time. All you need to do is drag the app to the Trash if it didn't come with an uninstaller.

Welcome to the Mac.

I've never understood why the mods haven't made this question a sticky...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

elise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 08:19 PM

Thank you!! Limewire is gone. I'll check out Poisoned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules