Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 10)
KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2011, 12:34 PM

For you racing fans out there that want to go wireless...

the Wireless Speed Wheel is completely wireless and controlled intuitively with precise steering, standard controller buttons/triggers, and haptic feedback with rumble. The device is compatible with all racing games right out of the box. With trigger buttons for gas and brake, combined with a rumble feedback, the Xbox 360 Wireless Speed Wheel provides intuitive standard controller buttons that immerse the driver into the game, whether you like to white knuckle it down the race track with your hands at “10 and 2” or “9 and 3.
$59.99 and will be released in early October.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2011, 12:43 PM

Oh, for those who care, the MW 2 map packs are on sale for 600M$ points each this week.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2011, 12:55 PM

God damn! Bioshock Infinite is looking gorgeous!

That video trailer just got me way more excited for this game!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2011, 01:01 PM

Oh yeah, here's a Halo 4 Teaser Trailer

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 01:08 PM

Just thought where I'd seen the Wii U tablet controller before... The old Windows UMPCs

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Eh, the screened player still has a huge advantage. It also sounds like using the screen because its there; There's another way to this that Nintendo may have heard of: It's called "Online".

I'll be surprised if that ends up as much more than a mode in a mini-game collection.

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Oh, for those who care, the MW 2 map packs are on sale for 600M$ points each this week.
Hmm, I might consider picking up the maps at the not rape pric– oh MW2. Who cares.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 01:45 PM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 02:03 PM

So do achievements for whores like Stogie, Myself and Bogues.
The crappy graphics still have me on the fence. Maybe I'll just wait for the remastered Halo CE/Halo 2 bundle (with built-in screen) that you know will be announced at E3 2012.
( Last edited by Stogieman; Jun 8, 2011 at 02:09 PM. )

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Eh, the screened player still has a huge advantage. It also sounds like using the screen because its there; There's another way to this that Nintendo may have heard of: It's called "Online".

I'll be surprised if that ends up as much more than a mode in a mini-game collection.
Yeah I'd rather add a second Xbox and TV rather than playing split-screen or using a 6-inch screen.

I played MW2 with my brother-inlaw on his PS2 in split-screen. It was impossible trying to sneak up on each other!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:49 PM

I'm anticipating all the people complaining when they drop their controller and the screen breaks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2011, 04:08 PM

Batman: Arkham City brings in Catwoman, freedom of movement
Getting around the city was a joy once I learned how to use the grappling hook to gain momentum and glide from place to place. You can tuck forward into a dive to gain speed, and then grapple to a faraway location to get more speed and height. In this way you can fly nearly anywhere you can see very quickly. You can also attach yourself to passing helicopters if you'd like a lazier approach.

Batman feels agile, and his movements match the massive city around him. It takes a little bit of practice and muscle memory to master the controls, but once you get them down, it's very freeing.

You can dial into the frequencies of the radios and phones the criminals use to communicate, and you can listen to nearby thugs talking as you fly about. You can drop down and break up a brawl, or simply glide above it to your next destination. I dropped down once or twice and discovered that the free-flowing combat feels just as good as it did in the first game, with a series of new moves. It's fun to grab an enemy with the grappling hook, pull him towards you, and then clothesline him out of the air. The fighting is appropriately brutal and, while Batman never kills anyone, he certainly breaks bones and does what looks like permanent damage.
I'm sure there will be GTA like limits at the outset, but it'd be nice if the entire city is open from the get go.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 04:42 PM

The Catwoman in the trailer is HOT! Meow!
MacBook Pro

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 06:41 PM

Oh yeah, here's a Halo 4 Teaser Trailer
Eh, no Bungie involvement means it'll suck.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 09:58 AM

Thursday News: No longer U-nique Edition

OnLive Player App for iPad and Android brings tablet/TV integration, ala Wii U | Joystiq
Cloud gaming poster child OnLive took the opportunity at E3 to show off its tablet-bound OnLive Player application, coming to both iPad and Android devices "later this year," while providing "far higher performance, richer gameplay and deeper social integration than any console announced for 2012." Yeah, that's a not-so-subtle dig at the Wii U.

While the OnLive Viewer app currently available doesn't allow for actually playing OnLive on a tablet, the upcoming Player app "will enable gameplay of virtually all OnLive games on an iPad and Android tablet with touch or OnLive's new Universal Wireless Controller." Demoed in the video below is Ubisoft's From Dust, which accepts touch-based input on the tablet applications.

Even more notable, considering Nintendo's latest console announcement, is news that the OnLive Player app will allow "the tablet to be used as a touch and motion controller combined with an HDTV (or PC/Mac if preferred)." The tablet can even enable "both synchronized or independent video on the tablet and HDTV screen, enabling combined gameplay with tablet and HDTV" or, more like the concepts we saw of Wii U, "separate gameplay on tablet and HDTV."
It took Sony and MS 3-4 years to catch up to the Nintendo Wii's motion controls. This time round, companies are announcing similar devices that may beat the Wii U to market. Good luck, Nintendo.

Real Racing 2 announces wireless iPad to TV streaming, waves at Wii U | Joystiq
Real Racing 2-dev (and recent EA acquisition) Firemint took the opportunity at WWDC today to announce AirPlay support for its latest iOS racer. When the just-announced iOS 5 is released later this year, it will enable AirPlay video mirroring support, which Firemint will be using to do a lot more than just mirroring; the iPad 2 will be able to wirelessly send an HD signal to your Apple TV while using the iPad 2 to handle real-time racing telemetry and tilt-based steering.
Seriously, good luck.

Farewell, Friend Codes: Wii U to have single online identity and friends list [update] | Joystiq
Surprisingly, Nintendo wasn't the one to answer the question that's been at the forefront of our minds since John Riccitiello talked up the Wii U's online capabilities: Ubisoft recently told MTV Multiplayer that the system will get rid of the maligned Friend Codes system in favor of a single online identity (think: Gamertag). Players will also be able to build friends lists without the laborious process of swapping serial numbers.
There seems to be some debate over whether this is a unified console-wide system or individual title-to-title, publisher-to-publisher system.

Wii U doesn't play GameCube games | Joystiq
BIg deal. The PS3 plays PSOne games (I believe). No one cares.

Call of Duty Creators Working On a "Sci-Fi-Oriented Shooter"
Respawn Entertainment, the new studio founded by Call of Duty creators Jason West and Vince Zampella following their messy split from Activision, is of course working on a shooter. But what kind of shooter? A future shooter, that's what.
Click through, and If you recognize the article image header, you are awesome... and old.

Sony to sell PlayStation Vita for a loss, Profitable in 3yrs - National Video Game | Examiner.com
In an interview with Reuters Japan, Sony’s Kaz Hirai stated that Sony aims to make a profit on the PlayStation Vita in three years.
I suppose this shouldn't be surprising, but given their PS3 struggles and less than solid financial situation, I figured they might be a little gun shy with a portable system.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2011, 10:31 AM

Farewell, Friend Codes: Wii U to have single online identity and friends list [update] | Joystiq

There seems to be some debate over whether this is a unified console-wide system or individual title-to-title, publisher-to-publisher system.
This should have been a no-brainer, and it's one that Nintendo should've pointed out at their keynote. This is years behind.

BIg deal. The PS3 plays PSOne games (I believe). No one cares.[/QUOTE]

I play PSOne games on my PS3, but only ones that I've downloaded from the PS Store. Seriously, who still has their old discs?

Call of Duty Creators Working On a "Sci-Fi-Oriented Shooter"

Click through, and If you recognize the article image header, you are awesome... and old.
I had to click the image URL to figure it out. I wasn't even born when that movie released.

Sony to sell PlayStation Vita for a loss, Profitable in 3yrs - National Video Game | Examiner.com

I suppose this shouldn't be surprising, but given their PS3 struggles and less than solid financial situation, I figured they might be a little gun shy with a portable system.
I'm remembering back to my concerns as to whether or not a failed NGP would sink Sony, and I'm still terrified at the prospect.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2011, 10:32 AM

Also, I am now completely in love with Infamous 2. It's everything I loved about the first, except bigger.

The game taking place in Louisiana is an extra little bonus.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I play PSOne games on my PS3, but only ones that I've downloaded from the PS Store. Seriously, who still has their old discs
*raises hand*

This goes for PS2, GC, N64, SNES, and GB as well.

P
Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 AM

Thursday News: No longer U-nique Edition

OnLive Player App for iPad and Android brings tablet/TV integration, ala Wii U | Joystiq

It took Sony and MS 3-4 years to catch up to the Nintendo Wii's motion controls. This time round, companies are announcing similar devices that may beat the Wii U to market. Good luck, Nintendo.
Last time, Sony and MS were laughing and being condescending when it was announced, and only reacted when the Wii sales numbers came in. This time, everyone has learned their lesson that Nintendo is someone to copy. Compare the initial reactions to the iPod and the iPad.

BTW, Copter 2 has the same setup (with an iPhone and iPad) and has had it for some time now.

BIg deal. The PS3 plays PSOne games (I believe). No one cares.
It's not surprising, because it has been their MO for some time now to support one generation back, but it is notable because the Gamecube CPU and GPU are a perfect subset of the Wii. It should be trivial for Nintendo to support it. Maybe it's the optical disc hardware that is the issue - the Gamecube used a special proprietary disc that might be tricky to support.

Anyway: I'm sure that all the successful Gamecube games will show up in the Virtual Console soon enough.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Last time, Sony and MS were laughing and being condescending when it was announced, and only reacted when the Wii sales numbers came in. This time, everyone has learned their lesson that Nintendo is someone to copy.
Isn't Nintendo copying Apple though? That's why there are similar products at E3. if this thing was truly unique there wouldn't be similar products around the show.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 11:08 AM

Gamasutra - News - Report: PlayStation Vita Will Be Region Free
Talking during the session, and reported by games site IGN, SCEE vice president Michael Denny noted that, as far as he was aware, the console is going to be region free, allowing games from any region to be played on any Vita console.
This subject usually gets blown into a bigger deal than it is, but I think it's one of those things that makes a select group of gamers really, really happy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

*raises hand*

Hoarder.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 AM

How dare you.

P
Jun 9, 2011, 01:16 PM

Isn't Nintendo copying Apple though? That's why there are similar products at E3. if this thing was truly unique there wouldn't be similar products around the show.
More than anything, they're copying their own DS. The touchscreen isn't even multitouch.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2011, 01:56 PM

*raises hand*

Same here. LOL I still have Metal Gear 2, 3, GT4, and all the Splinter Cells on PS2.

BTW: Outland. Didn't need any hints.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Liar. I bet you looked at the image name.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2011, 03:01 PM

I know the movie, came out the same year as Time Bandits, another Sean Connery one I saw.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Jun 9, 2011 at 03:27 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 9, 2011, 03:04 PM

Well done.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 12:06 AM

PSN Store welcome back package question.....
Can you download the free games on your pc/mac and transfer/install them on the ps3, or do u have to do the download on the ps3 itself?

Cheers

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2011, 12:29 AM

I couldn't answer that for you. I didn't even consider getting them on anything besides the PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 10:08 AM

Fridays News

Nintendo's President Already Has Some Wii U Regrets
Company president Satoru Iwata, speaking with the London Evening Standard, says that while he doesn't think Nintendo has made a "blunder", he does admit that people might be confused with the way the Wii U was unveiled.

"Because we put so much emphasis on the controller, there appeared to be some misunderstandings", he said. "We should have made more effort to explain how it works."
Well this is off to a fine start.

Nintendo stock loses another five percent | Joystiq
Though E3 attendees may be crazy for it, investors are continuing to express their displeasure with the Wii U. Nintendo's stock lost another five percent after a similar fall on Tuesday, the first day after the new hardware was announced at E3. At the time of this writing, the stock is down to 16,170 yen per share on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, another 800 yen loss from the previous day's close of 16,970.

That is, however, a slight climb from the day's low of 16,040 earlier in the day. Company shares haven't been this low since before Nintendo's massively successful Wii console was released in 2006.
Well this is off to a fine start.

Wii U currently only supports one WiiPad | Joystiq
Investing in a new console is never cheap, but considering the main input method for the Wii U is a controller with a screen in it, we were understandably daunted by the idea of having to buy multiple WiiPads. According to Shigeru Miyamoto (probably known best as the senior producer on Chibi Robo) we needn't have worried.

Miyamoto told GamePro that the Wii U will only support one WiiPad, explaining that if the company had wanted to do multiple touchscreens it would have found a way to let players use 3DS systems with the new console.

Miyamoto didn't rule out the possibility of letting you take your WiiPad to a friends house and linking up play somehow, but it doesn't seem to be actively in the works at the moment.
Saw this coming a mile away.

Wii U's WiiPad controller resolution estimated at 854x480 | Joystiq

Nintendo Talks Wii U Game Pricing
Since it's more costly to make hi-def games, Iwata did agree that some top titles could very well be priced higher than what Wii games go for. According to Iwata, that won't be true with all games.

"I think there is already some indication that the [current pricing] trend is going to stay here," Iwata said.

"When you consider some of the most popular franchise—such as Call of Duty or Madden—the publishers can afford to affix a rather expensive price tag on that because the franchise has a premium value."

"On the other hand," Iwata continued, "without an established franchise, they cannot afford to keep that expensive price tag. I believe there will be a wider price range."
Variable pricing? A+

E3: Embedded battery, no video out for PlayStation Vita- Destructoid
•PSP titles, minis and PSone classics will be playable via the PlayStation Store. There are no "plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point."
Internal memory? "PS Vita is equipped with the storage media slot so that users can choose what memory capacity they want to utilize depending on their use."
•Will we have to rebuy digital versions of UMD-based games we already own? "We will consider every possibility for support on bought UMD games but we have nothing to comment at this point in time."
•No video output feature
•The battery will be embedded because of the rear touch pad (and PSP piracy)
The Xbox 360's Minecraft Will be a Little Different
He also says that the Xbox 360 version of the game is not "a straight port", suggesting that the integration with Microsoft's Kinect camera may be more than just a gimmick.
In case you didn't write it off already.

Activision's Bobby Kotick Wants to Buy...MySpace
Perplexing.

E3: Hands on with Dead Island's four-player co-op- Destructoid

E3: About that dinosaur in Battlefield 3 ...- Destructoid
while back, a thread on 4chan was started by someone claiming to work for Activision. Their post asked for feedback on Modern Warfare, and the replies proceeded to talk all about the startling lack of dinosaurs in those games. Hey, it's true!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
More than anything, they're copying their own DS. The touchscreen isn't even multitouch.
There's some truth to that, but I can't I'm the only one who thinks iPad before DS.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 11:26 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 01:36 PM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...-in-action.ars
Rails? We don't need rails where we're going. Unless it's motion control gaming.

Codemasters informs users of website breach | Joystiq
TIME really needs to make hackers the person of the year.

Three arrests made in connection with PSN hack | Joystiq
I said...

Killer Freaks from Outer Space preview: The freaks come out at night | Joystiq
In the multiplayer mode shown on stage, one player used a Classic Controller Pro for a traditional FPS-type experience. But the other player, on the WiiPad, is presented with a top-down view of the map, and an inventory of various freaks to drop on the opponent. So while one player is experiencing an FPS with rapidly spawning enemies, the other one is playing a top-down action/strategy game about placing creatures in the right positions at the right times to overwhelm the poor guy on the street.
There's that god/DM mode I was expecting.

Duke Nukem Forever review: Fail to the King, Baby | Joystiq

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2011, 03:13 PM

Was anyone honestly expecting any different?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 03:30 PM

Good. Now that DNF is out, they can focus on Borderlands 2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 10, 2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Good. Now that DNF is out, they can focus on Borderlands 2.
I realized yesterday that was conspicuously absent from E3.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2011, 03:43 PM

Star Wars Kinect hands-on: watch the train wreck in action
Rails? We don't need rails where we're going. Unless it's motion control gaming.
Haha, I knew Terminal Reality would fail to deliver. I hope this game bombs.

Yeah, I'm still pissed about Ghostbusters.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2011, 06:26 PM

Man, all the lag would just kill me. I hope those are just beta issues

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2011, 12:22 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 09:51 AM

While I'm sure the reviews didn't help, it was all about money. A studio in NYC does seem ludicrous (Unless you're Rockstar... and these guys aren't Rockstar).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 10:12 AM

Tuesday News: That Time of the Month Edition

May NPD: LA Noire makes the case, Xbox 360 stays on top | Joystiq
Top 10 best-selling games (US) for May 2011:
L.A. Noire (360, PS3)
Brink (360, PS3, PC)
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC)
Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC)
Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3)
NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC)
Just Dance 2 (Wii)
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)

LA Noire sold less than one million over two systems, which is pretty weak, but par for June, I imagine.

Gamasutra - News - NPD: May U.S. Retail Game Industry Sales Lowest Since Oct. '06
Microsoft said that it had the best-selling home console for yet another month, with 270,000 units sold in the U.S. during May.
MS still on top. The Wii only benefitted from two weeks at the new price point (though no numbers are available). Perhaps next month will be different.

Hackers target Bethesda, may have gained access to account info | Joystiq
Endless.

The Wii U Might be a Little More Powerful Than we Thought
Speaking with IndustryGamers earlier today, Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia said "Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50% more processing power compared to the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo."
I've been reading some discussions on the potential of the Wii U, and it really feels like it's legacy as not another Wii (in terms of power) is entirely dependent on when MS decides to throw it's hat into the next gen ring.

If you believe the 10 year cycle (slating a "720" for 2016) that would give the Wii U 4 years as the most powerful console on the market. But I don't believe that will be the case. I think the latest MS releases their next platform is 2014 (The 360 is selling strong, after all), which gives Nintendo a whole two years on market before they become the underdog again.

Further, this doesn't even consider that some of this power will have to be used to process and stream a second set of video to the uPad. While it might not cost 1/3rd of the processor, I'm sure it'll take enough of a chunk to make the Wii U's somewhat significant advantage in processing power insignificant.

Edit: Oh yeah
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...annoy-fans.ars
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Beta closes in 5 days and I still have not received a token. From the Gears of war website:

Gears of War 2 Multiplayer stats:
- Crosbie360: 23 days; 20 hours; 26 minutes
- DakarZero: 7 days; 10 hours; 32 minutes
- FattyMcblobicus: 2 days; 2 hours; 52 minutes
- Kevin Bogues: 10 hours (LOL)
For the record, my Black Ops time was 7 days, 16 hours last night. Disturbingly comparable.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2011, 03:35 PM

Add one more to the mix.

Eve Online Taken Down by Hackers

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2011, 03:57 PM

Why are hackers suddenly targeting the gaming industry? Is it to prove a point, or is it because of the private information that is increasingly being acquired by gaming networks?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 04:31 PM

They're targetting big business, and what's the biggest online business nowadays? (well, besides porn)

The gaming business.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 04:38 PM

I remember this being billed as the title that would make the kinect a must-have.
Child of Eden review: A momentary masterpiece | Joystiq
Child of Eden tasks you with reviving Lumi, the first human born in space, whose digital imprint has been saved on a newfangled, highly stylized version of the internet. Her memory is under assault from a vast fleet of neon-hued viruses which the player must "purify" by sailing through the five beautifully infected archives which contain her personality. It sounds a tad silly on paper, but each glimpse you catch of the besieged Lumi (as well as the frequent glimpses of the ancient Earth she represents) is surprisingly invigorating.

Players purify each archive using the "Octo-Lock" laser, a returning armament from Q Entertainment's last on-rails rhythm shooter, Rez. Using this primary weapon, players can lock onto and destroy up to eight targets at a time, earning extra points if they activate the beam in sync with the background music. Players also have a Tracer beam that fires a constant stream of bullets which net the player fewer points -- however, certain targets can only be purified using the Tracer, including incoming missiles from enemy viruses.

Though returning Rez players seeking an authentic experience can use a standard controller to adequately romp through the colorful campaign, Child of Eden is made for motion controls. When playing with Kinect, the Octo-Lock is bound to your right hand, requiring you to dramatically thrust your palm forward to launch your targeted salvo. The left is bound to the Tracer, which you'll wield more frequently as the archives increase in difficulty. In the game's most frantic moments, you'll swap between weapons with frequency, moving your arms and pushing your hands to the rhythm of the music, trying to find a balance between survival and sound.

It is at this point that you realize that you're not playing Child of Eden; you are conducting it.
I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 14, 2011, 04:47 PM

Sony doesn't want to discourage PS3 modding- Destructoid
With Sony's famous lawsuit against GeoHot storming headlines this year, Sony has earned itself a reputation for being against console customization. The company is a villain among the modding community, who believe Sony stands against the freedom to do whatever one likes with their property.

According to Sony boss Jack Tretton, however, that perception is wrong. Sony may be anti-piracy, but it's not against you modifying your PS3 in the name of innovation.

"No, there’s a real misnomer there, we embrace independent game development," he said, "If you call that hacking, then we embrace that. We give people tools that let them create new experiences. What I don’t think we are in support of is someone trying to hack our device to pirate software and possibly collapse the platform."

Tretton flatly denied the accusation that Sony wants to deter users from modifying their systems, which is quite a contrast against the freedom hating corporation that some perceive. Quite a surprising statement, given the fact that Sony releases new firmware regularly to stop its hardware being modded.
War is Peace.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2011, 07:18 PM

Add one more to the mix.

Eve Online Taken Down by Hackers
+ League of Legends, Minecraft, and a couple other places.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2011, 09:56 AM

Wednesday News

Wii U graphics chip outed as last-gen Radeon (which is still pretty good, apparently) | Joystiq
Let's be upfront here: we don't know thing one about chipsets and motherboards. We play video games, we don't build the hardware they come on. But our friends at Engadget, well, they're all about that kinda stuff. So when they tell us that Nintendo's Wii U console will come packing a custom Radeon GPU with a chip similar to the R770, and that the chip is competitively stronger than the GPUs of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, we believe them.

Kotaku
More than 2 million gamers have signed up at callofduty.com/elite so far — and they hit that number in less than two weeks. That should give the dev team at Beachhead plenty to work with to kick off the beta, which officially starts July 14.
Maybe I'll get in yet.

Report: Sony Knew the PSN Leak Was Huge, it Just Waited to Tell You
According to a report from Kyodo News, citing official Japanese government documentation, Sony Computer Entertainment knowingly delayed telling the public about the extent of an attack on its PlayStation Network so as not to "bewilder" its customers.
On a related note, the way hacking has been permeating the net since, I feel like XBOX Live being attacked this year is a matter of when, not if.

Electronic Arts opening EA Sports retail store in Charlotte airport | Joystiq
Why?

Crysis 2 removed from Steam to make EA's Origin look good- Destructoid
If you want to play Crysis 2 on PC (it's worth it) and want to buy the Steam version, you're shit out of luck. Electronic Arts has pulled the Crytek sequel from Steam in order to make it exclusive to its own digital download service, Origin.

It would appear EA is hoping to entice customers away from Valve, which seems like a dumb move. Despite the game now getting an "Only on Origin" tag, it's still available on Direct2Drive and Impulse. Alice: Madness Returns and Star Wars: The Old Republic are also going to be digital exclusives to Origin.
That didn't take long. These guys are Grade A idiots.

For JB. This may be old, but I can't remember if I posted it.
Cross game chat and why it's currently MIA.
No, the reason we had to drop Custom soundtrack support like that has nothing to do with Microsoft. It does, however, involve a different company. A rather large company.
You see, one of their games happened to fall into the 5% that didn't support in-game custom soundtracks. And they did not like this.
When they found out that a new firmware update was going to suddenly make one of their games look inferior to just about every other game released, they protested. A lot.
They threatened everything, from legal action to dropping support for the PS3 all together.
Click the link for the whole story.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM

And with a new 360 coming in 2012 (supposedly), it'll lag behind, most likely. Nintendo is going with the same formula as the Wii -- I just wonder how well it will turn out this time.

Kotaku

Maybe I'll get in yet.
I gave it a shot too, as soon as the Email came in (despite my skepticism). I'm guessing I'm not in.

Report: Sony Knew the PSN Leak Was Huge, it Just Waited to Tell You

On a related note, the way hacking has been permeating the net since, I feel like XBOX Live being attacked this year is a matter of when, not if.
I hope you're wrong on that. As much as I've defended Sony through the years, I still don't want it to happen to Microsoft.

For JB. This may be old, but I can't remember if I posted it.
Cross game chat and why it's currently MIA.

Click the link for the whole story.
So in other words, it's EA's fault? Somehow that seems...convenient. I didn't understand all of the jargon, but even though all he's say may be true, if Sony really wanted cross-game chat, they'd find a way to implement it. It's not a priority.

Good god...Imagine if EA actually had dropped support for the PS3...

Forum Links
Forum Rules