Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 103)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2015, 12:03 PM

Does PSN have a weekly or monthly list of which games are the most played (unique users), a la Major Nelson's list for Xbox Live? I would like to see how many people are still playing Drive Club.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 13, 2015, 01:09 PM

No it does not.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 02:00 PM

I snagged Valiant Hearts and Abe's Oddworld for free with PS+, both games have been entertaining.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 02:07 PM

Neither lured me.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 02:43 PM

It helps that I'm burned out on my current game library.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 03:23 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 03:43 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 03:49 PM

**** the cripples

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 03:50 PM

I refuse to believe having the option to apply changes globally was some insurmountable hurdle.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 03:52 PM

Common sense seems to take a back door to expediency. Why can't I upload shareplay videos through the youtube app? Why can't the shareplay app directly upload to youtube?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2015, 12:18 PM

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2015, 02:11 PM

So Nintendo...

Nintendo is making smartphone games with Japanese mobile giant DeNA | The Verge

...is finally making smartphone games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 17, 2015, 02:18 PM

Good for them. Hopefully its sustainable, too.

P
Mar 17, 2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Launching the Titan X, which ditches the one special characteristic of the previous Titans, non-sucky DP performance, and which is going to be absolutely crushed when AMD finally gets around to releasing the 390X.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So Nintendo...

Nintendo is making smartphone games with Japanese mobile giant DeNA | The Verge

I wonder if they will bring core flagship franchises to mobile in a meaningful way. I really doubt it.

IMHO they should put all their 'casual' ideas on mobile (at mobile prices), and have their hardware cater to mostly(not always) the gamer crowd.

But knowing Nintendo, they might end up doing the exact opposite.... because Nintendo.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Launching the Titan X, which ditches the one special characteristic of the previous Titans, non-sucky DP performance, and which is going to be absolutely crushed when AMD finally gets around to releasing the 390X.
Reeeeeally? I'm seeing price estimates of $799. Yeah?

[EDIT] Pardon my ignorance, but if I one day upgraded to a 390X, would that mean my processor would have to be switched to AMD as well?

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I wonder if they will bring core flagship franchises to mobile in a meaningful way. I really doubt it.
All the early speculation I'm seeing is, "No way." It's going to be Mario-themed Puzzle Quest-ish games, I'm sure.

IMHO they should put all their 'casual' ideas on mobile (at mobile prices), and have their hardware cater to mostly(not always) the gamer crowd.
They're going to eventually release something of real substance, and if it becomes a huge source of profit, I'm sure they'll dive in further.

I'm actually becoming curious as to whether or not their new project is going to somehow/someway be linked together with these new mobile ambitions in an unexpected way.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2015, 02:32 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2015, 02:59 PM

Nice...so Apple's forthcoming $30 monthly package and Sling TV's $20 monthly package won't be better because...

Sony's offering even lacks ESPN. I swear, this reeks of "old Sony."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 18, 2015, 03:00 PM

Honestly, I tink the lack of ESPN will appeal to a lot of nerds who don't care for sports.

Edit: AFter all, just buy MLB or NBA or whatever if you really want to watch a sport.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Honestly, I tink the lack of ESPN will appeal to a lot of nerds who don't care for sports.
But for that, don't they already have Hulu and Netflix for a combined $20 per month?

Edit: AFter all, just buy MLB or NBA or whatever if you really want to watch a sport.
It's limited because of blackout restrictions, but at least this is really good news for fans: NBA Reaches Deal With ESPN, Turner Broadcasting; Calls For New Video Service

P
Mar 18, 2015, 04:34 PM

Reeeeeally? I'm seeing price estimates of $799. Yeah?
We don't know, but AMD usually prices its cards cheaper than nVidia. In particular, they tend to charge less for the 2nd tier cards. AMD's design means that they can disable very small parts of the card in case of a defect, so the 2nd tier card can be 90% active on AMD and 80% active on nVidia. Right now, the 290 is 91% of the shader cores of the 290X, but the 970 is 81% of the shaders of the 980. I think that AMD will price its top 390X card at $999 to match nVidia if it is truly faster, but that the marginally slower 390 card will be much cheaper and still at least match the Titan X.

[EDIT] Pardon my ignorance, but if I one day upgraded to a 390X, would that mean my processor would have to be switched to AMD as well?
Nope. AMD cards usually get better performance on Intel CPUs because of their higher base performance.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2015, 05:08 PM

So Nintendo...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's a joke, but it's also so not a joke.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2015, 10:54 AM

So, a lot of stuff happened this week. Where to begin...

Xbox For Sale - the rumours just won't quit | GamesIndustry.biz
Could it happen? Well, yes, it could - if Microsoft is really determined to sell Xbox and can find a suitable bidder, it could all go far more smoothly than you may imagine. Xbox One would continue to be a part of the Windows 10 vision to some extent, and would probably get its upgrade to the Windows 10 kernel as well, but would no longer be Microsoft hardware - not an unfamiliar situation for a company whose existence has mostly been predicated on selling operating systems for other people's hardware. Nobody would buy Xbox without getting Halo, Forza and various other titles into the bargain, but Microsoft's newly rediscovered enthusiasm for Windows gaming would suggest a complex deal wherein certain franchises (probably including Minecraft) remain with Microsoft, while others went off with the Xbox division. HoloLens would remain a Microsoft project; it's not an Xbox project right now and has never really been pushed as an Xbox One add-on, despite the immediate comparisons it prompted with Sony's Morpheus. Xbox games would still keep working with the Azure cloud services (Microsoft will happily sell access to that to anyone, on any platform), on which framework Xbox Live would continue to operate. So yes, Xbox could be divorced from Microsoft, maintaining a close and amiable relationship with the requisite parts of the company while taking up residence in another firm's stable - a firm with a business that's much more in line with the objectives of Xbox than Microsoft now finds itself to be.

Layoffs at DriveClub developer Evolution • Eurogamer.net
Evolution Studios will now focus on DriveClub as a service going forward, in particular, the important launch of the PS Plus Edition. We will be restructuring Evolution Studios to ensure that SCE WWS and in particular, Evolution Studios are in the best position to achieve these goals.
Odd since I believe they sill have months of DLC to deliver.

And the bombshell: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/koj.../1100-6426024/
A fallout between Kojima Productions and its publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio given restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone calls, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Power struggles between Kojima Productions and Konami have convinced the publisher to make drastic changes, including amending the employee status of its Metal Gear team. Some senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, now essentially work as contractors, not permanent employees.

The extraordinary measures were revealed by a source within Konami, speaking to GameSpot on the condition of anonymity. The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.
In other developments, Konami has begun erasing the Kojima Productions logo from all official Metal Gear art, and it has demoted Kojima off its executive team. Meanwhile, Kojima Productions’ branding has also been removed from Twitter, the official Metal Gear website, and even the LA office listing.
Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series - NeoGAF

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2015, 11:45 AM

Oh, Sony is seems to be devolving back into scumbagishness: Sony killing online support for MLB 14 (PS4/V/3) on June 18th - NeoGAF

This during a gen when they've started getting paid for online. For comparison, EA waits til a game is two years old.

P
Mar 20, 2015, 01:14 PM

So, a lot of stuff happened this week. Where to begin...

Xbox For Sale - the rumours just won't quit | GamesIndustry.biz
There is some logic to this if MS wants to make Windows the best it can be, which seems to be their focus at the moment. There is a big strategy tax to having the Xbox division around, as this means that MS keeps some of their best games on the Xbox to encourage sales. The new Tomb Raider comes to mind, where MS paid the developer to delay its release on Windows.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2015, 01:16 PM

I agree, if you're trying to change the company and focus on your core strengths, the entertainment division doesn't fit it with what they're trying to do and acts as a distraction or a drain on resources that might be better off used elsewhere. Plus they could get some $$$.

Edit: This could explain their aggressive strategy towards pricing. If they're trying to get rid of the division, value is more in marketshare than profit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2015, 02:58 PM

In Europe, you can buy Bloodborne with a unit of your own blood | Ars Technica

Is anybody here interested in this game.I hear some talk about this being one of the games this gen has been waiting for, but my lack of opinion makes me think I read what it was about a while ago and wasn't interested.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2015, 02:16 PM

Wow. Just that simple?
Virtual noses keep real-world VR sickness at bay | Ars Technica
As the new wave of virtual reality headsets barrel ever closer to consumer reality, the effects of "simulator sickness" on a significant portion of the population remain a concern. A group of researchers at Purdue University say they've found an easy way to mitigate this effect by adding one bit of reality that most VR simulations leave out: a virtual nose sitting persistently at the corners of your vision.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2015, 02:30 PM

it makes sense, you can always see your nose, except when there are two screens shoved up against your eyeballs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2015, 09:48 AM

I just learned the Forza team can be tyrants.
Forzamotorsport.net Forums - A Message to GMC Vandura Designers
Hello Vandura Designers,

I think we need to tell you guys that VANS WITH 'FREE CANDY' ON IT IS PROHIBITED. Anything similar to that ('any sort of 'murder van') is also prohibited. If you do take a picture or design and share a free candy van, you WILL be banned. I've seen three people since the Vandura came out (2-3 days ago) that have banned for this. Please, for your sake, DON'T DO IT.

Sincerely,

NolDaMan

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 AM

Youtube video making the rounds has sparked some controversy...
GTA V PS4/XONE Downgraded - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison - Page 10 - NeoGAF

GAFer makes a great point: Right after the patch a lot of people were commenting that the game felt optimized. But it took two weeks for anyone to comment that the graphics may have been downgraded (I don't see it)
Checkmate: Framerate > Graphics

(Hopefully Digital Foundry investigates)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2015, 04:25 PM

Youtube video making the rounds has sparked some controversy...
GTA V PS4/XONE Downgraded - Version 1.00 Vs 1.08 Comparison - Page 10 - NeoGAF

GAFer makes a great point: Right after the patch a lot of people were commenting that the game felt optimized. But it took two weeks for anyone to comment that the graphics may have been downgraded (I don't see it)
Checkmate: Framerate > Graphics

(Hopefully Digital Foundry investigates)
I've already seen the comments in /r/pcmasterrace. You can imagine what that's like.

This generation seems really weird, doesn't it? Maybe I'm just a prisoner of the moment, but there seem to have been so many strange controversies.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2015, 04:45 PM

The long wait for this gen is probably making the hardware extra scrutinized. We're also in the same bind as last gen – we have more power but we're a good chunk of it towards the resolution leap of 720p > 1080p (Well one of us is). Then we have all the Day 1 or post-release patches aimed at graphical fixes/improvements that have kept the attention focused.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2015, 02:20 AM

Part of the problem is that consoles are actually less expensive than previous gens, accounting for inflation. Imagine what Sony and MS could build if a machine MSRP'd for $7-800 instead of $400? Too many corners have been cut.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2015, 09:15 AM

Part of the problem is that consoles are actually less expensive than previous gens,
The same goes for regular computers too, though

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2015, 12:10 PM

So my eyes have been opened to what 'comfy couch' master race 'pc gamers' use to play comfortably.

Still ok with being a console peasant after seeing that

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2015, 12:40 PM

GameStop: Digital Downloads Make Up Only 5% of AAA Game Sales - NeoGAF
The digital future is still the digital future.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2015, 02:13 PM

The same goes for regular computers too, though
Not enthusiast (gaming) video cards, however.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2015, 02:15 PM

Not enthusiast (gaming) video cards, however.
Gaming cards have gotten more expensive over time?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2015, 02:15 PM

GameStop: Digital Downloads Make Up Only 5% of AAA Game Sales - NeoGAF
The digital future is still the digital future.
I'll bet that number is a lot higher if you count only PC game sales.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2015, 02:17 PM

I'll bet that number is a lot higher if you count only PC game sales.
PC doesn't factor into the discussion. 'Digital is the future' is about the format war, where used game sales mean something.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2015, 04:30 PM

So my eyes have been opened to what 'comfy couch' master race 'pc gamers' use to play comfortably.

Too well dressed/rich to be a 'real' master race pc gamer.

This is more like it :

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 28, 2015, 10:54 AM

So my eyes have been opened to what 'comfy couch' master race 'pc gamers' use to play comfortably

I need to try something like this in my basement. I tried playing the latest Crysis with a 360 controller but couldn't get into it. I did manage to finish Farcry 3 with a controller but a mouse and keyboard would have been better. I actually had decent results streaming Crysis from the gaming PC to my iMac so I could use a mouse and keyboard, except I couldn't use the Magic Mouse as the right click and scroll functions don't work through streaming.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2015, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

This is more like it :

Is that the Zune tattoo guy?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2015, 12:48 AM

Gaming cards have gotten more expensive over time?
Even adjusting for inflation, yes, upper tier gaming cards are considerably more expensive, and that's where the bulk of a gaming PC's budget goes (unless the person is stupid).

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2015, 01:05 AM

Okay... I can tell you this without stepping too far out of line. Overall, with the exception of a couple of specific AAA titles, "390X" is faster than the Titan X at stock clocks (and crushes the 980 like an empty beer can). However, that changes with some healthy overclocking, where the Titan X pulls up even or a maybe a sliver ahead. So, they're essentially in the same class, despite the Titan X having 4 more GBs of RAM (which doesn't mean jack unless you have a hardcore Eyefinity/3DS config). Since it appears that the 390X will bow at @$800, and the 390 will be $550, it should do very well in sales and will be the best single GPU solution for 4k gaming, which it does extremely well, and 3x Eyefinity (11,520 x 2,160) w/ two 390Xs in xfire is ****ing glorious! (and very smooth)

P
Mar 29, 2015, 05:38 AM

So launch it already! There has been leaks of finished cards for months.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 29, 2015, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post

This is more like it :
Too many Xboxes in that photo.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2015, 11:57 AM

So launch it already! There has been leaks of finished cards for months.
Right now it's just drivers, all hardware has been finalized for a while now (you likely know that) and OEMs are in full swing. Updates are coming out fast and furious to fix small (and one not-so-small) bugs and fine-tune DX12 & xfire performance. I think they'll hit their original target of early Q2, maybe by late April? There's a couple of nice surprises that will blow enthusiasts' socks right off their feet (those I'm absolutely bursting to talk about). That's partly why Nvidia is already prepping 980 Ti (which would be a stupid name since the vanilla 980 is already unlocked) and a Titan "XS", but I can't see how the former will match the base 390 (which I've not seen but have heard will be the usual 5-8% slower than the full 390X) and the latter will probably be just a higher factory-clocked Titan X with a more robust cooler and dual (or even triple ) 8-pin power headers. So much for their power consumption advantage. Hah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules