Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 13)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 03:37 PM

I don't think it's an open system. I think it's an EA Online Pass for Sony first party games. EA's pass will continue to exist and Sony's pass will only affect games they publish directly.

Edit: If this is a move against piracy, Sony needs frickin' relax.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't plan on buying Resistance 3 anyways, so I'd like to say that I'm boycotting it, but if Uncharted 3 comes with it...........

Sony has always been a little more aggressive in fighting piracy, but now they're apparently ramping up their fight against used games in a struggling economy -- classless move. I'm assuming the PSN pass will take the place of EA's PS3 codes, but I'm not sure. I would guess that every first, second, and third-party publisher will be able to opt in to the program.

I suppose the eventual goal is digital distribution being the only way to buy/sell games, eliminating used game sales and cutting out the middle man. Since game retailers like GameStop apparently make a ton of their money off of used game sales, I'm guessing a ton of jobs are going to be lost in the next few years. It's going to be Blockbuster -> Netflix all over again.

[EDIT] Just saw your more recent post. $20 says Uncharted 3 definitely gets hit.

Somewhat related note: the Uncharted 3 multiplayer beta is incredible.
I've had the opinion for a few years now that within my lifetime, it would eventually get to the point that the only brick and mortar stores left will be for clothes and food.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 03:45 PM

I don't want to digitally download games. It makes it a pain to take them to friends houses, and impossible to lend.

Anyway, brick and mortar stores won't completely die... though they may get turned into showrooms (In many ways they already are).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2011, 04:40 PM

Regardless, I'm guessing Sony is just the first of the big three to do this. MSoft and Nintendo won't be far behind.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 6, 2011, 04:44 PM

It will take some real brass balls for MS to charge an additional fee for online multi. Hell, they're more likely to not have a game with online than to charge for it in the future, IMO.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2011, 10:13 AM

Thursday News

EA's DeMartini claims Origin has 'never been about' competing with Steam | Joystiq
The veep went on to say that EA's Origin platform is a choice for game buyers, not an exclusive outlet for all of the publisher's content going forward. Along with its developers, EA is "working to integrate more and more between the game and Origin," but DeMartini is "absolutely not at this point saying, 'hey, it's Origin versus Steam.' It's never been about that."

However, DeMartini's words and EA's actions don't exactly line up. According to the company's policy, EA wants to "continue offering our games for sale on all major download sites." Star Wars: The Old Republic doesn't count, it seems, as that title will only be available for download from its Origin service.
"We're not competition, just a choice." That's what competition is, dumbass.

Nyko Zoom blows up your Kinect space on Aug. 23 | Joystiq
Enter: Nyko Zoom. Launching on August 23 for $30, Nyko's clip-on lens claims to enable Kinect games within 40% less space, essentially fooling the sensor into thinking you're way over there when you're RIGHT HERE.
For those of you with small living rooms and big dreams for the kinect.

Ubisoft 'extremely limited' by Xbox 360/PS3 -Destructoid
"Our challenge with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox is that we're extremely limited in what we can do," said executive producer of production services Yves Jacquier. "It's a challenge for the engineers to provide nice graphics and nice AI and nice sound with a very small amount of memory and computation time.

"We think that the next generation of consoles won't have these limits any more. Games might have more realistic graphics and more on-screen, but what's the value of making something more realistic and better animated if you have poor AI?"
This guy is on crack.

Wired time travels to 2009 to write article bashing Wiis
Wiijected: Readers’ Sad Pictures of Dusty Nintendo Controllers | GameLife | Wired.com
When's the last time you touched your Wii controller — other than to wipe a layer of dust off it?

Although Nintendo's revolutionary motion-control game machine launched in 2006 with lots of compelling software, the days of Wii Sports, Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy are long over. Nintendo promised Wii would appeal to hard-core gamers who love deeper, more traditional gaming adventures, but these types of games have become fewer and far between. Some publishers have figured out how to sell casual games on the platform (see Ubisoft's smash success Just Dance), but the rest have abandoned Wii in droves.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2011, 04:22 PM

Bungie-blessed, fan-ported Marathon free for iPad -Destructoid
Bungie's seminal first-person shooter, Marathon, is now available for the iPad. But this port isn't Bungie's work -- it was put together by fan Daniel Blezek using Marathon source code.

The project, which has Bungie's blessing, is free to download. If you want to play it with fancier high definition graphics, though, you'll have to pay $3.99 for an upgrade package.
This is why bungie gets mad respect from gamers.

OnLive CEO says PS3 and 360 are too weak and old -Destructoid
Sony & MS CEOs say OnLive is too laggy and compressed.

Burnout Crash! coming to XBLA, PSN this fall -Destructoid
Set for release on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network this fall, the game will feature three different game modes spread across six locations and 18 crash junctions. Crash! will also make use of the Autolog leaderboard/social tech that Criterion introduced with last year's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Crash! will also be supporting Kinect for Xbox 360, with two teams competing against one another while using motion gestures to control and crash vehicles.

Called that this would be garbage months ago.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2011, 10:10 PM

Yeah you did. WTF?! Why an overhead view XBLA title? I have a feeling they won't go back to open world, which is a great shame.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2011, 11:26 PM

Are any of you guys into the Dolphin emulator? I think the concept of recreating a platform with higher resolution (HD) and adding features is pretty darn cool. I think that Dolphin and the PS 2 emulator cover probably the most modern gaming consoles.

We can argue attractiveness and value, but technologically I find this pretty darn cool.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 12:16 AM

I've been meaning to try the Dolphin emulator. Just haven't had time. How fast of a Mac do you need?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Burnout Crash! coming to XBLA, PSN this fall -Destructoid

Called that this would be garbage months ago.
Damn. I was hoping this would be a true sequel to Burnout Paradise.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Damn. I was hoping this would be a true sequel to Burnout Paradise.
They just made Hot Pursuit and are rumored to be working on Hot Pursuit 2. When would they have the time?

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Are any of you guys into the Dolphin emulator? I think the concept of recreating a platform with higher resolution (HD) and adding features is pretty darn cool. I think that Dolphin and the PS 2 emulator cover probably the most modern gaming consoles.

We can argue attractiveness and value, but technologically I find this pretty darn cool.
Yes, most of us saw your original thread.

Whatever cool factor the emulator has is overridden by the chore that is running emulators.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 12:10 PM

YouTube - ‪Burnout CRASH! - Gameplay Footage‬‏
See this shit in action. Laugh at the amount of dislikes the video got.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 12:37 PM

They just made Hot Pursuit and are rumored to be working on Hot Pursuit 2. When would they have the time?
Is Criterion working on the next Hot Pursuit? I thought EA assigned that to another developer?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

It's possible. I'm not 100% confident on that. You read otherwise somewhere?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 12:46 PM

Yeah, but I can't find the link.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 12:51 PM

Yeah, but I can't find the link.
I think I found the link.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2011, 12:53 PM

"Well excuuuuuse me princess."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 02:34 PM

Call of Duty� Experience - Event Map

Far right. Paintball area. A recreation of Scrapyard. Spawns may suck.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 04:02 PM

Rumor: Gears of War 3 Build Leaked by MS - eXophase.com
According to Mathieulh, the recent build of Gears of War 3 that appeared on torrent sites earlier this month may have been inadvertently leaked by Microsoft themselves. A Google query for “codify.com xbox” will reveal Microsoft’s Xbox 360 Codify page which may have, at one point, offered up Gears of War 3 for grabs. The offending pages and files have been taken offline, however Google Cache has record accessible GOW3 files on the site.

The incriminating results included a page that revealed the directory for the Gears of War 3 files, only marking it “confidential” in the folder name and providing no other securities against unauthorized access. Yet another page revealed game assets. It’s unclear if this was the source of the leak, however it is a possibility given that the Gears of War 3 “Confidential” directory was accessible at one time by the average joe.
It's a toss up between enthralling incompetence and devious viral marketing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:05 PM

Whatever cool factor the emulator has is overridden by the chore that is running emulators.

Yeah, but you can't easily take your Wii or Gamecube on the road with you

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 04:10 PM

Last time I went on the road I took my Arcade with me actually. I can only imagine the Wii and Gamecube would be even easier.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2011, 04:20 PM

Last time I went on the road I took my Arcade with me actually. I can only imagine the Wii and Gamecube would be even easier.

Speaking of arcades, have you checked out those documentaries on classic gaming high score competitions and stuff? Do you know anybody into that?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 8, 2011, 04:23 PM

I imagine you're referring to King of Kong and such. I don't have any interest, and if anyone here does they haven't mentioned it so far. My love of arcade gaming is limited to a few titles, and I doubt I'd watch a doc on any of them save the six-player two screen X-Men.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2011, 04:25 PM

Wow, Bioshock Infinite is looking f'n amazing!
Check out the full 15 min game demo that was shown at E3.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2011, 10:32 PM

This Super Mario Brothers low score run is pretty crazy:

Super Mario Bros. Record for Lowest Possible Score

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2011, 12:11 AM

Not as crazy as Human Space Invaders.

The Original Human SPACE INVADERS Performance

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jul 12, 2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Wow, Bioshock Infinite is looking f'n amazing!
Check out the full 15 min game demo that was shown at E3.
Just got some time to really sit down and watch this, i absolutely cannot wait for this game, that demo was extremely impressive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2011, 11:26 AM

Burnout Crash hits home in August, was once a Wii game | Joystiq
Another revelation about Crash! was provided by Criterion creative director Alex Ward at EA's summer showcase. Ward told Giant Bomb that the project started on Wii before it became Crash!. "It was a user-created game where you drew a road with the wand, and we thought, if we made Crash Mode, you could make it all yourself." Criterion worked on that until discovering that it was "quite boring."
Boy, that explains everything.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Just got some time to really sit down and watch this, i absolutely cannot wait for this game, that demo was extremely impressive.
Yeah, the level of detail was amazing! It really looks like some solid gameplay, especially using the zipline to get from place to place. Can't wait!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2011, 11:11 PM

In somewhat gaming related news [if you use a console to stream]...

Netflix changing price structure

In short, Netflix is separating their DVD business and their streaming business. Here is the new price breakdown:

Unlimited Streaming w/o DVDs - $7.99

1 DVD w/o Streaming - $7.99
2 DVDs w/o Streaming - $11.99

1 DVD with Unlimited Streaming - $15.98

This will, no doubt, come as a shock to subscribers who are used to paying $9.99 for one DVD with unlimited streaming who are about to be hit with a 60% price increase.
Listen to this bullshit excuse for the price increase...

Last November when we launched our $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, DVDs by mail was treated as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan. At the time, we didn’t anticipate offering DVD only plans. Since then we have realized that there is still a very large continuing demand for DVDs both from our existing members as well as non-members. Given the long life we think DVDs by mail will have, treating DVDs as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan neither makes great financial sense nor satisfies people who just want DVDs. Creating an unlimited DVDs by mail plan (no streaming) at our lowest price ever, $7.99, does make sense and will ensure a long life for our DVDs by mail offering.
In less than a year I had 1 DVD plus streaming offered at $8.99. Now I gotta pay $15.98? Jesus! That's a 78% increase in price! Considering that Netflix put a shit ton of video rental stores out of business and now wants to separate the DVD from streaming packages, it almost feels like a big F you.

I don't know. I guess I may just stick with streaming come September. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Rumor
Jul 13, 2011, 02:58 AM

Netflix hikes prices for plans with DVDs + streaming - Jul. 12, 2011

What it fails to disclose is that licensing cost for Netflix are going from the millions to billions next year.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 03:06 AM

Yeah, this was the last straw for us. We used to have the 3-DVD at a time plan. Now we're down to 1, and we're about to go streaming-only.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2011, 07:11 AM

I've been streaming-only since they introduced that plan.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 09:51 AM

In somewhat gaming related news [if you use a console to stream]...
Yeah, I was considering posting that in the Lounge... considering our large Netflix contingent here it makes as much sense here as anywhere else.

In less than a year I had 1 DVD plus streaming offered at $8.99. Now I gotta pay $15.98? Jesus! That's a 78% increase in price! Considering that Netflix put a shit ton of video rental stores out of business and now wants to separate the DVD from streaming packages, it almost feels like a big F you.
Netflix is one of the few services that I've felt could increase the price some and I wouldn't complain. But they've really gone crazy here – the lack of a bundle plan is insulting. There has to be a large contingent of people out there that both stream and receive discs and I think they're gambling that they'll be able to double-dip on them.

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Netflix hikes prices for plans with DVDs + streaming - Jul. 12, 2011

What it fails to disclose is that licensing cost for Netflix are going from the millions to billions next year.
I assumed bandwidth related costs were going through the roof.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 10:01 AM

Wednesday News: EA Edition

EA to acquire PopCap Games for $750 million | Joystiq
"EA and PopCap are a compelling combination," boasted CEO John Riccitiello, clearly envisioning a newly expanded EA digital empire. "PopCap's great studio talent and powerful IP add to EA's momentum and accelerate our drive towards a $1 billion digital business."

"We picked EA because they have recast their culture around making great digital games," said David Roberts, CEO of PopCap. "By working with EA, we'll scale our games and services to deliver more social, mobile, casual fun to an even bigger, global audience." In case it's not obvious, we'll spell it out for you: O-R-I-G-I-N.
Speaking of Origin...
A little something about EA Origin's prices -Destructoid
But I still had one important question for EA that remains fairly unanswered: Why charge full price for recently launched first-party titles?
While I was at the EA Summer Showcase last week, I asked a few people about these concerns of mine. To my disappointment, I never really got a straight answer; either the question was ignored altogether, or I would receive replies like, “Sometimes it costs more to distribute digitally.” And when I asked how that was possible, the best answer I got was, “In most cases, retailers buy in bulk and receive huge discounts for doing so. When a company distributes over a digital platform, they have to worry about bandwidth and other digital variables.” So, EA is kind of like Costco then?

None of this really made any sense. With the labor that goes behind the manufacture and shipping of tangible mediums, along with the profit percentage that retailers make, the price of server space should be pennies in comparison. Bandwidth is dirt cheap, especially to billion-dollar companies like EA.
So I leave you with a question: What's your incentive to buy a game through Origin if you’re given the choice to buy a game at a retail store for the same price? Perhaps
It's interesting, EA wants to take a chunk out of Steam's pie, but either they're too greedy to actually compete or too stupid. Have you guys ever seen prices when a new Wal•Mart or Sheetz rolls into town? They do insane pricing to lure you away. EA is so cocksure or so greedy that they're just blasting away at their customers full-throttle betting they'll pay premium because...?

Death Revisits EA Servers In August, Taking Army of Two, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, Skate & More Offline
I'd give them shit for taking down BF2 ahead of BF3 but that game is ****ing ancient (They're leaving the original Bad Company still up after all).

NBC: If you're an adult and play games, you're 'weird' -Destructoid
When asked by a viewer if it was normal for adults to play videogames, Gifford responded with one of the most intelligent and thought-provoking answers she has ever given in her career: ""No, that's weird ... Xbox."

Deutsch agreed that it was unacceptable, adding, "No, the answer's no. When you're in your thirties, there should be something more on your mind, your attention, than video games." Kotb added to the discussion by referring to gamers as, “those weird ones in the basement."
This week in old people talk about shit they know nothing about.

Is Sony Quietly Removing a PS3 Feature?
Update: While we still haven't heard from Playstation with an official response, it sounds like this move could have something to do with the AACS Final Adopter Agreement. [Thanks KALEL114]
Not a big deal.

Ubisoft buys free-to-play game developer Owlient | Joystiq
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot explained in a press release, "This acquisition is the next step in the acceleration of Ubisoft's free-to-play strategy following last year's launch of Settlers Online, CSI Crime City and Heroes Kingdoms, as well as the recent beta launch of our ambitious title Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online." Those all sound just fine -- we just hope Owlient doesn't lose sight of its Heaven-Pony roots under its new management.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 11:10 AM

Yeah, I was considering posting that in the Lounge... considering our large Netflix contingent here it makes as much sense here as anywhere else.

Netflix is one of the few services that I've felt could increase the price some and I wouldn't complain. But they've really gone crazy here – the lack of a bundle plan is insulting. There has to be a large contingent of people out there that both stream and receive discs and I think they're gambling that they'll be able to double-dip on them.

I assumed bandwidth related costs were going through the roof.
I suspect quite a few people are in the same position as me - I pay for the streaming and 1 DVD service, but I can't even remember the last time I got a DVD from them. This will just push me over to streaming only, which is really all I'm using it for anyway.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 11:13 AM

I'm sure I'm an exception but I run the two-dvd plan (Hey, HBO, try to include more than three episodes on a ****ing disc). My problem is I go disc heavy in the winters and do practically none in the summer.

If they make adding/dropping plans easy, I may try to be proactive enough to just constantly change my plan depending on time of year.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2011, 01:04 PM

I almost started a Lounge thread about Netflix but searched and found this. Looks like I'll be dropping the one DVD per month and going to Redbox when I want a new release or Blu-Ray.

The stupid thing is that they're not restructuring their plans. They are adding a DVD-only option and hiking prices on everything else. Their "pick your plan" page still has a radio button for unlimited streaming + 1 disc at a time, which is the plan I have now.

Now if only the AppleTV would stop dropping frames I might almost be happy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 01:50 PM

I was remarking to a friend, all those things I won't purchase or cancel on principle, and the one time I move along with minimal complaint, here, I seem to be in the minority again.

Hence, you are all retarded.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Looks like I'll be dropping the one DVD per month and going to Redbox when I want a new release or Blu-Ray.
Yeah, I'll be doing the same.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Now if only the AppleTV would stop dropping frames I might almost be happy.
I haven't experienced this. Does it happen often?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2011, 01:56 PM

I'm sure I'm an exception but I run the two-dvd plan (Hey, HBO, try to include more than three episodes on a ****ing disc). My problem is I go disc heavy in the winters and do practically none in the summer.
A little off topic but if you ever get an iPad, I highly recommend you get the HBO Go app.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 02:02 PM

A little off topic but if you ever get an iPad, I highly recommend you get the HBO Go app.
You don't need a cable subscription for that?

Anyway it's not that big a deal. I don't think I've watched that many HBO shows, it's just The Wire had me constantly jonesing when I was doing a season.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2011, 02:11 PM

I haven't experienced this. Does it happen often?
All the time, Netflix and YouTube at least. I don't notice when streaming straight from my computer (jail broken). And it's regular. I can time it happening every 20 seconds on the nose during some videos.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 02:11 PM

I blame Iowa.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2011, 02:53 PM

You don't need a cable subscription for that?
Or a friend with a cable subscription generous enough to let you use their login and password.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 03:21 PM

Or a friend with a cable subscription generous enough to let you use their login and password.
I play video games and post on the internet. Obviously I have no friends.

---

THQ CEO: Next-gen is 'less about technology and more about service' | Joystiq
"Our view is that the next generation of consoles, if there are consoles, are going to be less about technology and more about service orientation of the gamer."
Translation: "Next gen, we will focus on nickel and diming everyone, rather than producing engaging, quality games."
I'd be shaken if this were coming from a relevant publisher. Better hope this isn't a case of them speaking aloud what everyone else is thinking.
(Isn't that what this gen has already morphed into? How could they make it worse? Don't answer that)

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2011, 03:48 PM

Play per chapter? Level? Every game getting a monthly fee?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Play per chapter? Level? Every game getting a monthly fee?
Play per chapter is close. Makes me think of Fable II on Games on Demand.

They put out Homefront, maybe pay for patches.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2011, 04:15 PM

I play video games and post on the internet. Obviously I have no friends.
I'll tell you what, if you make the rank of General on Halo: Reach, I'll let you use my HBO Go login/pass.

Forum Links
Forum Rules