Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 53)
P
May 8, 2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Interesting. They're hiring over here.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2013, 02:34 PM

Le DICE? I feel bad for them, if so. They're success means EA will try to turn them into a workhorse, much like a game title being milked.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 8, 2013, 02:57 PM

Blizzard fixes Diablo III gold duplication bug, but the damage may be done | Ars Technica

Yesterday's release of the 1.0.8 patch for Diablo III fixed many known bugs, but it also added an exploit that let savvy users create in-game gold out of thin air, wreaking havoc on the in-game economy and real-money auction house.

By cancelling a transaction while it was still being processed, players on the 1.0.8 patch would get twice as much gold returned to them, creating an easy source of infinite in-game currency.
Rather than rolling back the servers by a day to erase any sign of the duplicated gold, Blizzard has decided to instead punish the "relatively few players" it says made use of the bug with "fairly limited" effect in the wider game. "We feel that performing a full roll back would impact the community in an even greater way, as it would require significant downtime as well as revert the progress legitimate players have made since patch 1.0.8 was released this morning."

That decision has created a great deal of controversy among some players who say Blizzard's actions will do nothing to fix the flood of duplicated gold that caused the value of legitimate gold to plummet in a very short time yesterday. "People with the infinite source of gold today purchased items non-stop for hours," forum poster Chillaxin noted in a popular thread of the D3 forums. "Quadrillions of gold flooded into the economy and was divided among the entire player-base to anyone selling items. You may have stopped the dupers but there is severe permanent damage if you don't rollback everything."

P
May 8, 2013, 03:52 PM

Le DICE? I feel bad for them, if so. They're success means EA will try to turn them into a workhorse, much like a game title being milked.
Yup, DICE - although we just said Digital Illusions back then. They used to be located here in Gothenburg before EA decided to consolidate them with another office in Stockholm. Apparently they're undoing that merger now. Shows up in my LinkedIn feed all the time.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 8, 2013, 04:13 PM

EA Registers Battlefield 13 – 20 Domains. But Who Got 21? | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
For some perspective, if EA were to release them annually after this year, they would use the first of these domains in 2022.
Hey, I'll have something to play in my retirement... that and COD:Ghosts 13
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 9, 2013, 02:09 AM

New Gran Turismo announcement next week, it will be a launch title for the PS5 Sony expected to announce new Gran Turismo title next week | Joystiq

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 9, 2013, 09:05 AM

Was GT5 supposed to be a launch title?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2013, 12:00 PM

Oh, I guarantee you it will be a launch title for the PS5 slim.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2013, 03:01 PM

BBC News - World of Warcraft subscribers are leaving, Activision warns

The California-based company blamed the rise of free-to-play games.
Or maybe your game is overpriced?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 9, 2013, 03:07 PM

It's also 10 ****ing years old.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 9, 2013, 05:19 PM

People still play Diablo 3?

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Lack of (new) content. Changing the 3D models and calling it new only works for about a decade (apparently).

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 15, 2013, 02:39 PM

Apparently my disdain for Blizzard has killed this thread... or no new news for the nude.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 15, 2013, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Apparently my disdain for Blizzard has killed this thread... or no new news for the nude.
It's a pre-E3 lull. That and I don't really care for posting rumors. The XBOX will be called Infinity. Anybody care? Thought not.

Honestly GT6 is about the only noteworthy mention, and I swear I mentioned that rumor when it came up. It's Jawbone's job, anyway.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 15, 2013, 02:57 PM

GT6, on the PS3, what I've seen of it looks like GT5.5, I'll be waiting to see what Forza 5 brings.
Gran Turismo®6 is coming! - News - gran-turismo.com

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 12:53 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2013, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
This left me scratching my head, wondering if it has something to do with the 720/Durango/Infinity's possible no-used-games functionality.

Surely EA isn't taking a financially hit from the ill will of the public...

It's a pre-E3 lull. That and I don't really care for posting rumors. The XBOX will be called Infinity. Anybody care? Thought not.

Honestly GT6 is about the only noteworthy mention, and I swear I mentioned that rumor when it came up. It's Jawbone's job, anyway.
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
GT6, on the PS3, what I've seen of it looks like GT5.5, I'll be waiting to see what Forza 5 brings.
Gran Turismo®6 is coming! - News - gran-turismo.com
Bah...I'm not a fan of GT anyways. It's basically Microsoft Flight Simulator for cars — nice for car enthusiasts, bad for people that actually want to have fun while playing games.

P
May 16, 2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
This left me scratching my head, wondering if it has something to do with the 720/Durango/Infinity's possible no-used-games functionality.

Surely EA isn't taking a financially hit from the ill will of the public...
No. There is a second shoe waiting to drop here, and I'd love to know what it is. Methinks they may have made a deal with GameStop to get a cut of the action on the resale.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
No. There is a second shoe waiting to drop here, and I'd love to know what it is. Methinks they may have made a deal with GameStop to get a cut of the action on the resale.
I was listening to a PlayStation-focused podcast yesterday in which one of the hosts kept saying, "There's something about this Microsoft console that we don't know yet, and I just have a feeling that system is going to be a huge deal. I think this might be the end of the PlayStation as we've known it."

Only 5 days until we find out, I suppose.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 03:49 PM

That's one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard. "I know nothing, but the competitors are sure to die".

Is this someone with a reputation?

P
May 16, 2013, 04:00 PM

Curious detail that I heard about today. Most of you probably don't know the name Dave Cutler, but he's a minor celebrity in OS programming circles. First he was at VAX, building VMS to compete with UNIX, and was then recruited to Microsoft to build the kernel for their new OS - what became Windows NT and every modern Windows from XP onwards. He's one of the few superstar programmers MS has left, and since 2012, he's been working on the next Xbox. This makes me curious. Windows is not exactly in great shape, and the obvious spot for him right now would be to get the ARM port of Windows working right - and they put him on the Xbox, which we know is using an x86 processor and an off the shelf GPU. Either they had big problems and someone sent in the The Wolf, or there is indeed something we don't know yet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2013, 05:25 PM

Jeez, 71 and still coding. Hasn't he had enough?

P
May 16, 2013, 05:45 PM

He is probably doing what he loves and making good money doing so. He apparently hates the base UNIX design with a passion, so he could hardly go out and do open source work.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So, back on board for BF4?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I was listening to a PlayStation-focused podcast yesterday in which one of the hosts kept saying, "There's something about this Microsoft console that we don't know yet, and I just have a feeling that system is going to be a huge deal. I think this might be the end of the PlayStation as we've known it."

Only 5 days until we find out, I suppose.
What is this, a reverse jinx? If Sony competes on price point this time, I feel confident they will have a permanent lead on world-wide sales by year two at the latest, and possibly the US by the end of the gen

Look at the sales figures for this gen between the two and consider that Sony botched things about as badly as they could and MS had as much momentum as they could (getting a second bounce from Kinect).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2013, 11:49 AM

EA Has No Games in Development For Nintendo's Wii U

People note that EA treated the Dreamcast similarly. (Supposedly it's what helped lead to the creation of 2K sports)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2013, 02:00 PM

So, back on board for BF4?
If they get rid of the exclusive release dates for DLC based on Premium subscription or platform... yeah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2013, 02:44 PM

So, I'm kinda curious how you guys feel about this piece, in general and as fans of the annually doomed Apple
Nintendo Wii U: Death By Apathy | GamesIndustry International

The Wii U just had its Dreamcast moment. With Electronic Arts confirming it doesn't have any games in development for the machine, one of the console industry's biggest players has walked away from the system counting its losses.
But EA has pulled out of the Wii U because sales of both hardware and software are dreadful. We're not officially allowed to report sales numbers from Chart Track in the UK but everyone in the publishing business can see them quite clearly. There's no need for pretence. When you can get to number one in the Wii U charts by selling less than 1000 units it's no longer a tragedy, it's an actual farce.
The Wii U has been defeated by the most humbling of challengers - consumer apathy. When the inevitable "Nintendo halts Wii U production" stories hit, the majority of those that bought the original Wii won't even notice. The mainstream bought the Wii because it was a fun novelty, they didn't buy it for a new Zelda game. What's the Wii U's novelty? That it does everything a current-gen console does but a little bit slower and with a Fisher Price tablet attached?
Nintendo can't compete with Microsoft and Sony, that's why they've pulled out of the E3 pissing contest. That's almost a dignified admission of defeat. If Nintendo shows off new Starfox, Zelda, Mario and Blast Corps titles next month in L.A. it's only going to be preaching to the converted. They will be drowned out by the bombast and great swinging balls of their rivals. What will the LA Times, Reuters, the BBC, Tech Crunch, Joystiq, VentureBeat, GamesIndustry International, Gamasutra and the rest of the media be prioritising during E3? Anything that can lift the console business up off its knees and give it an adrenaline shot. That's the real story here, and the Wii U is a boxout of what went wrong.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2013, 02:57 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2013, 01:08 PM

YouTube go to Notch to try and Strike Ad Revenue Deal on Minecraft Videos - NeoGAF

With Nintendo blocking "Let's Play!"ers from generating revenue from their games, I'm guessing Youtube is getting proactive about protecting what I imagine is one of their biggest if not biggest revenue streams. Given the new gen is upon us, it's a smart move, as publishers will blame everything but themselves on perceived lack of sales.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 20, 2013, 01:13 PM

The great part is that all those lets plays are transformative works.
If some kid can do a lets play of you game and everyone else can get just as much enjoyment as he does by watching the video you've made a bad game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2013, 01:26 PM

I can kinda see the issue for single player games, but my opinion would be anyone who would rather watch a play through of Assassin's Creed 3 than actually do it isn't a potential customer. There's the spoilers issue, too, but again, someone who was only interested in ACIII that they'd not buy the game after hearing story spoilers doesn't strike me a strong customer.

As for Minecraft, I have to think Notch knows damn well that he'd be sitting on a lot fewer sales if it weren't for LP videos. I myself bought in thanks to the Yogcast Survival Island series.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
May 20, 2013, 02:09 PM

And anything heavily multiplayer or social like BF3, TF2, MMOs is totally immune.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 11:03 AM

New XBOX gets revealed at 10 PST.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 12:55 PM

From the Live stream of the Daily Telegraph :

The Playstation Europe Twitter account has been on mischievous form, tweeting its blurry trailer of a faraway box that may or may not be a PS4 with the line "As it's a slow news day..."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 01:04 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 01:22 PM

The new controller:

WOuld still prefer individual buttons for dpad, but looks good overall.

Edit: God damn it, integrated battery. ****ers.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 21, 2013, 01:50 PM

And a live action Halo TV series with Spielberg.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The looks less ugly then the other shots I've seen, but not the prettiest system.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 21, 2013, 02:04 PM

So far I'm happy, although I don't know why it's called the Xbox One.

Blue-Ray Drive
USB 3
802.11n
HDMI
500 GB HD
8GB RAM
Slightly modified controller

The Halo Live series sounds interesting, but they had the Forward Unto Dawn mini-series.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 21, 2013, 02:06 PM

Sounds like there are going to be some new Xbox exclusive games. I didn't get any details, though.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
So far I'm happy, although I don't know why it's called the Xbox One.
All-in-One

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 21, 2013, 02:09 PM

Meh, big deal. The battery will probably wear out when the controller does. And lately I've had rechargeable Xbox batteries that seem to like to only be charged by the wall outlet or only be charged by the USB charging cable. Some don't seem to work in the wall charger. Hopefully this will stop that.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:11 PM

Meh, big deal.
Given the price they charge for controllers, yes, it is.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:14 PM

I finally figured it out – it looks like a DVR. Which might be a little too on the nose. Also, all those features would have been awesome back in 2007 – when I still had cable.

Leonard
Professional Poster

$50? I can buy a half a dozen... matter fact I probably have half a dozen.

Threw out my originals I got with my first Xbox, just the other day.

But it does mean the end to quickly swapping out batteries, now that I think of it. You have to swap controllers, and hopefully you got another one charged. You're able to use regular AA batteries now.
MacBook Pro

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN

It looks like vader's VCR. Seriously though, it looks like a run-of-the-mill PC box. I hope Sony doesn't have a similar design for the PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:16 PM

$50? I can buy a half a dozen... matter fact I probably have half a dozen.
So can I, but why should I?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2013, 02:17 PM

NOOOO!!! Replaceable batteries was one of the biggest advantages the xbox controller had over Sony's.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:17 PM

What the hell are impulse triggers?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2013, 02:22 PM

Isn't that, like, when someone rings a bell and your mouth waters?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 21, 2013, 02:37 PM

I can't find any hard news yet, but I heard something about a reactivation fee for used games?

Forum Links
Forum Rules