Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 6)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 01:17 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. I can't find the link.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
So what's worth getting for my PS3?
I have the same question. I don't have any title listed for each system.

Also, I have a PSP, can I claim PSP freebies AND PS3 freebies?
I'm sure we can claim both.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2011, 01:38 PM

InFamous seems like the obvious choice, as a 360 gamer.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Anyway, i read a few books in college, but they were a little shaky then, and I imagine completely outdated now. I'll have to check if authors have published anything more recent.
Waiting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2011, 03:18 PM

Let me just go check my bookshel – OH WAIT I'M AT WORK

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2011, 03:24 PM

I bet you do most of your best posting while at work.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 17, 2011, 03:26 PM

As a general rule, I rarely post at home. The only exceptions are usually when I'm trying to organize something online or post in the Minecraft thread. Or huge breaking news.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I have the same question. I don't have any title listed for each system.
This...

Originally Posted by TheFinalDakar
InFamous seems like the obvious choice, as a 360 gamer.
FWIW, if you don't have any of the five, Infamous is the no-brainer -- the rest depend on your personal tastes, because they're all good.

Like zombies? Dead Nation.
Like platformers? LBP.
Like Geometry Wars-type shooters? Super Stardust HD.
Like racers? Wipeout HD Fury.

Maybe the average Metacritic reviews would help:

Infamous - 85
Dead Nation - 77
LittleBigPlanet - 95
Super Stardust HD - 85
Wipeout HD Fury - 89

Keep in mind that Infamous and LBP (particularly the latter) will keep you busy for far longer, especially if you play through Infamous as good one time and evil another.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
LittleBigPlanet might seem too cutesy for some, but the game is absolutely fantastic. I still love it.
I was in the beta. It just didn't appeal to me at all.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 10:21 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2011, 10:21 AM

Wednesday News

The PSN Is in Maintenance Mode - Kotaku
Just a heads up, the website log-in for PlayStation Network is throwing up a notice that the server is currently down for maintenance.

According to Sony, "Fortunately we have got ISPs to release outstanding emails; unfortunately, a small amount of maintenance is required to improve this process." Sony will let players know when the PSN online log in is back online.
Doesn't sound note-worthy, right?
According to NeoGAF (via Nylevia):
I want to make this clear to ALL PSN users. Despite the methods currently employed to force a password change when you first reconnect to the PlayStation network, your accounts still remain unsafe.
A new hack is currently doing the rounds in dark corners of the internet that allows the attacker the ability to change your password using only your account’s email and date of birth.

Sony defends response time to hacker breach | Reuters
In a stark departure from the remorseful tone struck just two weeks ago, when senior executives including heir apparent Kazuo Hirai bowed in apology in Tokyo, Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer fired back at critics who say the company was too slow to notify consumers once the attack was known.

"This was an unprecedented situation," Stringer told reporters on Tuesday, speaking publicly for the first time since the April breach.

"Most of these breaches go unreported by companies. Forty-three percent (of companies) notify victims within a month. We reported in a week. You're telling me my week wasn't fast enough?"
Isn't this guy notorious for saying dumb things?

Anyway, striving to be in the top 57% of respondents isn't exactly reassuring.

Sony: Only a small percentage of PSN cancellations - Destructoid
Sony has revealed that, while some people had terminated their PSN accounts on account of the hacking controversy, it's only a fraction of those who are keeping the faith.

CEO Howard Stringer told the Wall Street Journal that Sony's customer service only received "a very small percentage" of calls from people wishing to eradicate their PSN accounts.
I really doubt the majority of people walking away from PSN would be proactive/smart enough to deactivate their accounts.

A wise commenter pointed out that if 1% of their accounts were cancelled, that would be 7 million accounts.

Microsoft bringing Hole in the Wall game to Kinect- Destructoid
The ever-watchful GameSetWatch has found a rating for Hole in the Wall on Germany's USK rating board. It's looking like a Microsoft-published Xbox Live Arcade title for Kinect.

You may know Hole in the Wall as Human Tetris -- it's the same basic concept. People in ridiculous, shiny outfits attempt to contort their bodies to fit through unusually shaped holes in a moving wall.
This strikes me as kismet. A game that would work great on kinect and only on kinect being made. A fun game. I would play this.

Does The Xbox 360's New Disc Format Not Work With Some Older Consoles? [Update] - Kotaku
We've just had a look at a verified email, sent from Xbox LIVE customer support, claiming that a recent update provided to Xbox LIVE beta testers is preventing "a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail discs".
"Saying they were able to detect this issue over Xbox Live, Microsoft went on to say that, after jumping through all the necessary hoops, they'd send me a brand new Xbox 360 S and a year's free Xbox Live. At this point, my jaw hit the floor."
just for reference, his console was 60GB Pro from 2009.
I'm not too surprised by compatibility problems, but from a console as recent as 2009? Is it a fluke? It's an odd situation if 2006 models remain compatible but 2009s don't. I have to imagine with our relatively sizable user base , at least on of us is going to run into this problem.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2011, 11:50 AM

I got a question for all of you out there. I was actually getting into a heated discussion with another manager at work about employees spending time on the internet while on the clock. I was saying that if you're on the clock and are doing non-related work activities, then it's as good as stealing from the company in the sense that you're stealing company time. He brought up the point that some employees who get all their work done and can have that luxury which I say is bull shit because there's always other work that needs to be done.

I work as an assistant branch manager at a Credit Union and the reason I bring this up is because I have a personal banker who's on the internet all the time while all the tellers are working their asses off by helping members. It's totally unacceptable that he's on company time and could be helping his fellow peers. I moved his ass over to the teller line permanently so he doesn't get that down time anymore to browse the internet. This is a huge pet peeve of mine and is right up there with tardiness and attendance. I'm not sure what you do for a living Dakar, but if I were your supervisor, you probably wouldn't be liking me very much.

So back to my question: Do you think that spending time on the internet while on the company clock is stealing?

EDIT: Maybe this poll and discussion should be saved on another thread.
( Last edited by KCrosbie; May 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 18, 2011, 12:11 PM

Yeah, I'm iffy on it. It's a pretty big can of worms, best suited for the Lounge.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 18, 2011, 12:36 PM

Well since it's still here and I don't see another thread, here's my answer:

I'm a sales manager at a small business (65 employees). My personal opinion is that minor usage during downtime is fine, especially since it can help morale. If they need 5 minutes an hour to relieve stress by going to reddit or fark, I'm fine with that. However, the second it interferes with work being done it becomes a problem.

No one in management above me agrees with me, though.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2011, 01:13 PM

Just posted it in the lounge. I'd really like to hear what you guys think.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2011, 03:39 AM

Alright, changed my psn password. I want to make sure my cc info is deleted as well. Can anyone tell me how to do so cause i have no idea how to get to the cc info.

Cheers

EDIT>>Corrected spelling mistakes...i blame iPhone
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 19, 2011 at 07:23 AM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 10:16 AM

Thursday News

Aww, shucks, no free 360S for you...
Microsoft Says Xbox 360 Disc Read Problems Caused by an Older Update - Kotaku
"The console replacement plan that is the subject of some of today's headlines is related to a previous update, NOT the system update that has been in public beta and will be deployed shortly," writes Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb on his blog.

"The new disc format that is part of the beta has been rigorously tested across all Xbox 360 models and there are no known compatibility issues."

Remember when Homefront came out, and I commented that it didn't pay to pre-order anymore?
Is L.A. Noire Locking Up Xbox 360s? - Kotaku
There are reports online that the Xbox 360 version of the game is locking up. "It's been freezing since the first mission, now I'm about 4 in and it won't stop freezing," wrote one player on the Xbox.com forums.

Rockstar seems to be aware of Xbox 360 issues. Part of the studio's advice is to "clear the 360 cache" (read Rockstar support here).
Yeah.

But we're not through. Rockstar & Sony, Wondertwin powers unite!
Rockstar Says Your PS3s Are Overheating Because of Firmware - Kotaku
We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or 'Red Lighting' after having installed 3.61.

This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.
They've since pulled the article (pressure from Sony likely), but it s looking like it's not just the firmware, but some kind interaction between the specific game and the firmware.

Probably Not the Wii 2, Part IV: Liiked footage | Joystiq
A black splash screen opens the video with the dubious statement, "Private presentation of 'Project Cafe' by a video games editor," before approximately 40 seconds of similarly dubious slides are shown just feet above what is alleged to be a running "Project Cafe" unit. The slides depict some things you might expect, as well as some things that we very much doubt would leak.
I admire how far these people are trying to take this.

The Modern Warfare 3 leak, from Activision's perspective | Joystiq
"No one wakes up and thinks, 'I hope there's been a leak and our timing gets all messed up,'" Hirshberg mused as he and I discussed the incident this week at a meeting at Activision HQ, but "if members of the government and the military aren't safe from this stuff, it's a part of our world now."
Yes, he just compared this stuff to wikileaks.

"We woke up with a marketing crisis and wanted to go to bed with a marketing win," Hirshberg explained of the final decision. "So what we did was we kind of took that exact conversation we were having in our conference room outside and had it publicly in social media. Through our various channels, through Robert Bowling at IW, through Facebook and through our YouTube channel, we reached out to our fans and we said, 'Look, we didn't schedule this. This wasn't something we had planned. But everyone seems excited, so we're just going to roll with it. So here they are, a couple of assets that weren't scheduled to be out for another couple of weeks, we're going to release 'em to you today.'"
Afterwards, Hirshberg said to the reporter, "Here, watch me eat this shit sandwich while my smile never leaves my face."

These guys have such terrible timelines, and I suppose it's a small irony that the people most likely to screw it up are the ones most likely to purchase their game. I don't see what there is to gain by pretending a game everyone knows is being made doesn't exists until the last 6 months nets them, other than this kind of embarrassment.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2011, 10:44 AM

Remember when Homefront came out, and I commented that it didn't pay to pre-order anymore?
Is L.A. Noire Locking Up Xbox 360s? - Kotaku

Yeah.
But we're not through. Rockstar & Sony, Wondertwin powers unite!
Rockstar Says Your PS3s Are Overheating Because of Firmware - Kotaku

They've since pulled the article (pressure from Sony likely), but it s looking like it's not just the firmware, but some kind interaction between the specific game and the firmware.
It's unbelievable how this crap makes it to market so consistently these days.

My guess is the widespread lack of quality out of the gate won't be changing any time soon.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 10:46 AM

In Rockstar's defense (you may call me out for impartiality here), it's usually because they are always taxing the crap out of their systems by pushing the envelope. (see: Three discs!)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2011, 10:55 AM

Yeeeeeah, I'm not buying that reasoning. There are plenty of games that heavily tax the systems without having numerous significant bugs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 10:57 AM

Are they as large as Rockstar's worlds?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2011, 11:13 AM

Are you really sure that's the problem? It's an educated guess, I'm sure, but speculation nonetheless.

Also, is having large, immersive worlds a justifiable excuse for shipping a product that freezes up your console?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 11:34 AM

Goddammit, Safari ate my post.

Are you really sure that's the problem? It's an educated guess, I'm sure, but speculation nonetheless.
Almost all my narrative here is just educated commentary.

Also, is having large, immersive worlds a justifiable excuse for shipping a product that freezes up your console?
RDR was in development 6 years. LA Noire another 6. It's hard to peg these guys as rushing stuff out the door. I'd love to hear the industry chime in what games are the hardest to QA, because I would think it's open-worlds by a long-shot.

Anyway, like i said, the scales are tipping. Launch day purchases are steadily losing their luster.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 19, 2011, 12:49 PM

Although i don't think this applies to Rockstar, my feeling is the general exposure and marketing the industry has seen the last 5 or so years has a direct effect with launch bugs, issues, problems.

It seems that previously games had a TBD or q1/q2/q3/q4 release dates much longer, now companies seem to nail down a date much earlie ( elder scrolls v, mw3) to generate hype, marketing, preorders, etc. Also the exposure with marketing and flyers seems to force companies to set dates earlier, it's no secret that flyers and company ads are printed months in advance.
Developers are forced to make these deadlines and I think the process of delaying a games release is looked at negatively,

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 12:51 PM

There is no doubt in my mind Homefront devs must have asked for a serious delay and all THQ gave them was one week.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2011, 01:29 PM

It's unbelievable how this crap makes it to market so consistently these days.

My guess is the widespread lack of quality out of the gate won't be changing any time soon.
And I'm sure you will 95% forgive them after the first patch is released.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 19, 2011, 04:29 PM

I can has new game plox?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 19, 2011, 04:42 PM

Afternoon news

Xbox 360 PayPal update arrives right on schedule ... in some territories | Joystiq
Most notable, the update includes the option to add your PayPal account as a billing option on the console (it was previously limited to Xbox.com) for Microsoft Points and Marketplace content purchases.
Screw PayPal.

Don't click this link.
Sony: PlayStation Store to return May 24- Destructoid
Sony has told publishers to expect the PlayStation Store on May 24. That's according to a memo sent to various companies, which of course found its way to the proles of the Internet.

As previously revealed, Sony plans to update the Store multiple times per week. Content scheduled for April 26 will be included in the first update, followed by May 3's content three days later. The rest of the content will go live on May 31 and June 1.

L.A. Noire: Where's the Rockstar Pass? News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
There's no sign of the Rockstar Pass on Xbox.com and no mention in boxed copies of the game.

This week's Marketplace update does however bring L.A. Noire Xbox themes, a L.A. Noire Fedora and a L.A. Noire Stage Dress for your Avatar.

What is the Rockstar Pass? Microsoft's earlier press release didn't let on. "In celebration of launch on May 17 take your L.A. Noire experience to the next level and download the 'L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass' add-on," it stated.

Could it unlock access to the assorted pre-order exclusive content? The "A Slip of the Tongue" and "Naked City" cases are being doled out free by specific retailers.

Does the delay signify a shift in Rockstar's plans? Or did Microsoft let slip early?
This has been irritating me, mostly because I think it's related to their horrific DLC distribution.

Speaking of which...
L.A. Noire gets new DLC June 21- Destructoid
The content was first outed by Best Buy, when codes for the case were offered during L.A. Noire's midnight launch. Team Bondi has also stated that whole new crime desks -- specifically for fraud and burglary -- could wend their digital way to you in future.
No price listed. More stonewalling. How much would you pay for a single case?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2011, 10:01 AM

Friday News

Students: Free Xbox 360 with purchase of Windows 7 PC | Joystiq
Come to the dark side.

Rockstar & Sony: L.A. Noire NOT causing PS3s to overheat- Destructoid
Rockstar and Sony have issues a joint statement regarding the issue of L.A. Noire and overheating PS3 systems. Yesteday, Rockstar blamed PS3 Firmware 3.61. Today, Sony blamed L.A. Noire. Now? both companies have said it's neither Firmware 3.61 OR L.A. Noire.

"We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3’s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire," said the companies. "At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise."
This almost strengthens my resolve that it is something interacting between the two causing it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 11:56 AM

Yeeeeeooooooowwwwwwwwch!

...yeah, probably.

Good. I'll finally be able to download those free games I already own.

Awesome promotion...except for the whole Windows 7 PC part. Microsoft trying to reverse the trend of students going increasingly Mac?

Rockstar & Sony: L.A. Noire NOT causing PS3s to overheat- Destructoid

This almost strengthens my resolve that it is something interacting between the two causing it.
L.A. Noire overheats Xbox 360s as well as PS3s (Update)- Destructoid

This happening on the PS3 makes Sony look bad. This happening to PS3 and 360 makes Rockstar look bad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2011, 12:00 PM

The consensus on NeoGAF is that it's something as simple as perception bias (assuming I'm using this term correctly): In effect, every time a high profile game releases, we see a rash of consoles fall victim to typical hardware failures and overuse abuse in a short period, leading to a false correlation.

It's plausible enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 20, 2011, 04:16 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 05:12 PM

Yuck.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 10:05 AM

Monday News

Sony Hacked... Yet Again (Though Not Likely PSN-Related)
As Sony gets its PlayStation Network back online in the West, subsidiary So-net, Sony's internet provider, was hacked earlier last week.
This comes as security experts discovered Sony Thailand's website was being used for phishing.
Blood in the water. Hackers are now probing every, uh, orifice, for signs of weakness. Successfully.

The PSN Attacks Have Cost Sony a Ton of Money
Finally putting some kind of official estimate on the damage caused by last month's attack on the PlayStation Network, Sony has pegged the total cost to be around USD$170 million.

Microsoft shutters Pioneer Studios | Joystiq
Pioneer was one of many idea incubation groups at Microsoft, including FUSE Labs, The Garage, Startup Business Group and The Hardware Incubation Lab.
I'd complain, but these guys did nothing I recognize. It's a little disconcerting that MS is shuttering all these studios as they likely need to start designing some must-have titles for next gen.

What Can We All Learn from the Xbox Live Banning of 'Pound Her Stank'?
While we apologize for the inconvenience, we made the decision to permanently suspend the account due to the excessive number of forced name changes due to Code of Conduct violations that have occurred over the life of the account. We felt that giving you 34 chances to create a gamertag that did not violate the aforementioned document should have been more than enough of an opportunity to turn a new leaf.
I want that list of names. (Pound her stank also strikes me as one of those names that's only offensive if you already know what it means)

Over Ten Minutes Of Dead Island Footage Won't Eat Your Brains
For JB

Mortal Kombat waives 'Kombat Pass' until PlayStation Store returns | Joystiq
The PlayStation 3 version of Mortal Kombat is seeing the end of an irksome TECHNICALITY: the "Kombat Pass," a token that is required for online play but cannot be redeemed while the PlayStation Store is offline, is being temporarily waived. Up until now, the pool of online combatants was limited to those who hastily activated their passes right before the PSN fell into a coma in late April.
Yet another great feature of this online pass BS.

UK Top 40: LA Noire catches first place News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net
Epic crime caper L.A. Noire has locked up the top spot in the UK charts. It is the fastest-selling new video game IP ever in the UK.
Posted because, wow, who would have expected?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 23, 2011, 12:45 PM

I'm really liking Dead Island. 4 player co-op through the entire game?!? I'm in.

So the "Kombat Pass" is the new Corporate Business model to charge used gamers for online play, correct?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 12:47 PM

Yeah, and while I can't pin down the reasoning, it seems more ridiculous on a fighting game than FPSs.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 03:50 PM

Leaked E-Mail Suggests Retaliation for Negative Game Review | GameLife | Wired.com
Freelance reviewer T. Michael Murdock reamed Conduit 2 earlier this month on gaming blog Joystiq, giving the Wii shooter one star out of five. Within a day, several negative reviews sprang up on the Amazon.com listing for Murdock’s book, The Dragon Ruby, which is linked in the writer’s Joystiq byline. Some of the reviews have since been deleted.

An internal High Voltage e-mail, written by Conduit 2 art director Matt Corso and discovered by the Marooners’ Rock website, suggests that the studio might be involved in a retaliatory campaign.

“Michael was kind enough to recently provide us with a Conduit 2 review,” Corso says in the e-mail. “And so in turn you all should feel at liberty to (of course read it first) and then return the favor by writing a reader review for Michael’s book for him.”
What was I saying about developers and an entitlement mentality...?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 04:03 PM

Gameplay looks pants. They had a great vid to promote it (what 2 or 3 months ago) and then what actually come out looks like something from 2003. Let down.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 23, 2011, 06:17 PM

Holy shit, this actually works: Friendz for Mac

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 23, 2011, 10:31 PM

Holy shit, this actually works: Friendz for Mac
iOS version too, for 1.99$, that app will be free by the weekend with microsofts policy around charging for xbox live apps

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 02:33 AM

Nice! I've been using Friendz on my iPhone and iPad for over a year now. I can finally dump that crappy 1337 PWN widget on my mac.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 24, 2011, 09:17 AM

Nice! I've been using Friendz on my iPhone and iPad for over a year now. I can finally dump that crappy 1337 PWN widget on my mac.
I remember the last time an App like this became popular (for .99) Microsoft shut it down before it came back for FREE.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 10:31 AM

Well, that's great...I forgot my log-in information. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home to check out the apps.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 11:46 AM

Sony still looks like crap.

url=http://kotaku.com/5804525/the-psn-attacks-have-cost-sony-a-ton-of-money]The PSN Attacks Have Cost Sony a Ton of Money[/url]
...so far. There's no telling how many potential console sales they lost.

What Can We All Learn from the Xbox Live Banning of 'Pound Her Stank'?

I want that list of names. (Pound her stank also strikes me as one of those names that's only offensive if you already know what it means)
I'm pretty sure 99% of people who saw the title knew what it means.

UK Top 40: LA Noire catches first place News - - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net[

Posted because, wow, who would have expected?
I've seen it advertised everything. They really got the word out for the game. I have PS3 friends who hated Heavy Rain, but are in love with LA Noire.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I'm really liking Dead Island. 4 player co-op through the entire game?!? I'm in.
Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Gameplay looks pants. They had a great vid to promote it (what 2 or 3 months ago) and then what actually come out looks like something from 2003. Let down.
Yeah, I'm still eyeing it with interest, but I'll wait until the verdict is out before making a definite purchase. I'm not going through another Homefront scenario again. I didn't think Dead Island's gameplay looked bad, FWIW, but who knows?

I recently pre-ordered the Oblivion special edition, Arkham City, and Battlefield 3 on Amazon in addition to my existed Infamous 2 and Uncharted 3 pre-orders, so the second half of my year is filling up fast. Dead Island might not even cross my mind by that time.
Also...a small human will be inhabiting my guest room.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 11:47 AM

Sony is becoming the new Nintendo...

You Won’t Win Any Trophies With PSP Remaster Games

Later this year, the PlayStation Portable Remaster Series will become available (at least in Japan), offering HD versions of PSP games for your PS3. The games will come with a ton of extra content, but trophy support won't be among them.
Not only are they re-making "hits" from a system that is widely considered a disappointment, but they're not adding trophy support? I don't understand.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 11:52 AM

Sony is becoming the new Nintendo...

You Won’t Win Any Trophies With PSP Remaster Games

Not only are they re-making "hits" from a system that is widely considered a disappointment, but they're not adding trophy support? I don't understand.
They're Nintendo, only without the being judicious about what they're releasing. Nintendo (less so now), doesn't flood the market with their IP. Sony seems intent on just flooding the market with anything that might appeal to anyone, to the point where they're devaluing their own content.

(It also reeks of either desperation or cluelessness)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 11:55 AM

Tuesday News

PSA: PSN maintenance today, no Store update | Joystiq
The PlayStation Network will undergo maintenance today, according to an announcement on PlayStation Blog. The downtime is scheduled to begin at 11AM ET (in 10 minutes!) and conclude eight hours later, at 7PM.

That might sound like perfect timing for the return of the North American PlayStation Store's weekly update, but ... it's not happening. "For those asking about the PlayStation Store, we're still targeting restoration of all services by the end of this month," adds Jeff Rubenstein, the Blog's manager. "Contrary to reports, the Store will not be publishing today."
*Eddie Murphy laugh*

Duke Nukem Forever has gone gold | Joystiq
Sign of the Rapture?

EA's Riccitiello: Fail well and learn from it | Joystiq
Interesting that this motto coincides with their rise to challenge Activision to reclaim the Most Evil Company title.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 12:07 PM

Great comment :

Duke Nukem, which art going gold, hallowed by thy game. Thy programming be done, thy release date come, in the US as in Europe. Give us this day, our daily announcement, and lead us not to Call of Duty, but deliver us from Battlefield. For thine are the shrink rays, the glory holes and the bubblegum, Forever and ever. Amen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 24, 2011, 12:11 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules