Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Locking a folder?

Locking a folder?
Andrew Gara
Jul 14, 2000, 10:09 PM

Is it possible to lock a folder or something like that so that when someone wants to open the folder they have to use a password to do so. I don�t want to have to make the folder invisible.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2000, 01:21 AM

OS 9 comes with something called Apple File Security that does exactly what you describe. There are also shareware applications that will do the same thing. I have one called QuickEncrypt that's pretty good. Check out versiontracker for that and other such security apps.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Andrew Gara
Jul 15, 2000, 04:47 PM

As far as I know, OS 9�s file security doesn�t work on folders, only individual files. I think the same is true for Quick Encrypt.

That�s why I put up the request. Is it possible to do the same with a folder as with individual files?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2000, 05:42 PM

You could set up Multiple Users. Give yourself the "Grand Master of The Macintosh" title and normally use the "lowly grovelling peasant" account - or stick that one on anyone else who might be using your computer for vital and important games.

Put the special folder at root of your HD. Give the lowly peasants access to everything else, and write-only (drop folder) access to the special folder. You only have to invoke the "Master" account when you need to get stuff out of the special folder.

This is not a completly secure solution. If the lowly peasants think of booting your Mac from a CD, they would then have normal access to the special folder.

It seems to me there is a trick to get Apple File Security to grab a whole folder, but I can't seem to think of it right now. It was something I remember seeing about 6 months ago... it was one of the "Mac Tips of the Day" on ZDTV's "Call For Help" program, if that helps.
This early memory loss stuff is getting annoying.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2000, 06:10 PM

Ahh... This would work.

Instead of using an actual folder, create a new disk image with Disk Copy in a desired size and use the mounted image. When done, drag image to the trash, then use Apple File Security to encrypt the image file.

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2000, 01:00 AM

QuickEncrypt does indeed work with folders--but you have to buy a licence for it to handle folders.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules