Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Shut it down! 2: Fetalectric Bugaloo

View Poll Results: Will the government shutdown again?
Poll Options:
You bet 0 votes (0%)
Nope 3 votes (100.00%)
I have no idea anymore 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll
Shut it down! 2: Fetalectric Bugaloo
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2015, 02:36 PM

It might happen again folks!

This time, after losing a fight to repeal to unpopular Obamacare, House Republicans are steadfast in their belief that Planed Parenthood in 50 states should be defunded because of the alleged actions of those in 3.

In what we can only hope isn't the crescendo of this fight, House Speaker John Boehner has waved the white flag and said the next month will be his last trying to wrangle a party with wildly disparate approaches to governance and issues. This moves opens the door to him throwing party unity into the wind in a bid not repeat the unpopular shutdown of 2013 (even if it had little consequence in 2014).

What say you?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2015, 02:48 PM

The GOP would be stupid to try a shutdown because of the MSM's inability to cover the story or play the vid's or educate their viewers. The GOP will be mischaracterized again. They REALLY need to find clearly articulate folks to explain their side of things.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2015, 03:05 PM

It would appear the House GOP far-right faction's price for no government shutdown was Speaker Boehner's head on a platter. They have that now. I don't expect a shutdown at this point.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It would appear the House GOP far-right faction's price for no government shutdown was Speaker Boehner's head on a platter. They have that now. I don't expect a shutdown at this point.

OAW
I'm not sure I agree with that. He's more collateral damage.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2015, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. He's more collateral damage.
Here's a good analysis ...

Boehner move all but assures no shutdown - POLITICO

The bottom line is that Speaker Boehner was always going to have to rely on Democrat votes to keep the government funded. The far-right House GOP conservative faction is more than willing to let funding lapse over this Planned Parenthood foolishness. The thing is they threatened to call for a vote of no-confidence in Speaker Boehner if he moved forward and passed it with Democrat votes over their objections. He may or may not have survived. The numbers suggest he would have. But that's a moot point now because given his resignation the threat has been effectively neutralized.

The real question is given the House GOP political infighting does Speaker Boehner pass the Senate Immigration Reform Bill and put it on President Obama's desk just to spite the far-right House GOP faction?

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2015, 03:38 PM

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/stat...25521538703360
Steve Stivers, close Boehner ally, calls for @SpeakerBoehner to clear plate. Exim. Debt ceiling. Hwy bill.
I don't think Boehner will get too radical. His tenure has shown him to be pragmatic about crossing his party, so I doubt he'll spite them on his way out.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 25, 2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The thing is they threatened to call for a vote of no-confidence in Speaker Boehner if he moved forward and passed it with Democrat votes over their objections. He may or may not have survived. The numbers suggest he would have. But that's a moot point now because given his resignation the threat has been effectively neutralized.
Same thing happened in 2013. He just had a Danny Glover moment and (rightfully IMO) peaced out.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2015, 05:02 PM

As expected ...

Congress is sending President Obama legislation to prevent a government shutdown following a 277-151 vote in the House that will keep federal agencies funded through Dec. 11.

More Republicans voted against the spending bill that in favor of it because it included money for Planned Parenthood, with 151 in the GOP voting no compared to only 91 supporting it.

The Senate approved the legislation earlier on Wednesday in a 78-20 vote, and Obama is expected to sign it later tonight. All 20 no votes in the Senate came from Republicans, while Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who are both running for president, missed the vote.

Without action by Congress, the federal government would have shut down on Thursday.

The votes came days after Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) stunned Washington by announcing his resignation, effective at the end of October.

Before Boehner’s move, there were real doubts that Congress would be able to act to prevent a shutdown.

Boehner was under pressure to move legislation that included no money for Planned Parenthood, which has come under GOP attack following the release of videos that suggested the organization was selling fetal tissue for a profit. The group has repeatedly said those charges are unfounded and that the videos are misleading.

Conservatives had warned Boehner that a motion to remove him as Speaker could be filed if he worked with Democrats to move the short-term funding bill. But once Boehner announced he would step down, conservatives lost their leverage.
House votes to prevent shutdown — with 151 GOP 'no' votes | TheHill

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2015, 05:35 PM

Almost 2/5ths of House Rs voted for it. That's not an insignificant number, moreso if you consider there's probably another significant amount that withheld their vote out of fear.

Still, I'm not sure if this accomplishes jack if we go back to Shutdown Defcon 2 in December. McCarthy's presumed position is gonna get real interesting real fast.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2015, 04:17 PM

Treasury announcing the debt ceiling needs to go up by November, and I can't help but feel they moved up the time table so they can avoid a fight on that as well by having it fall in Boehner's last days.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 12, 2016, 10:29 PM

Murmurs it's back on the table! No wonder Ryan backed away from a possible nomination, he may not even have the House under control come fall.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2016, 12:52 AM

Bohener takes a sip off his daiquiri, as the corners of his mouth curl upwards almost imperceptibly.

"Told you so."

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 27, 2016, 03:15 PM

Three days away!

Can anyone explain why the **** republicans don't want to give funding to Flint ?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 4, 2016, 10:57 AM

I missed it but they got shit done in time.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2016, 06:35 PM

Dems were trying like mad to attach other BS to the bill, it made it a down-to-the-wire situation.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules